Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird metal noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

J1mbo

Aug 20, 2013
UK
Here's a weird one... been getting a sound that is similar to sound of an ICE exhaust system being dropped on the ground.

Only happened twice so far. First time I thought it was exactly that - an ICE with a bad exhaust - but it just happened again with no other cars around.

Happened at parking speeds with the steering turned (but not full lock). Sounds like it is coming from the front (right hand side).

Nothing loose under the car, brakes are a bit squeeky but nothing unusual for a car that doesn't get used much in the winter.

Anyone got any ideas what this might be? No point in taking it to the SC if I can't replicate it.

A single "bang"? Could be the battery temperature change. That sometimes makes "pops", it's known and fairly common. Happens at superchargers because the battery heats up, but I've had it happen while driving a few times. Not saying that's what it is, but look into that and see if it's what you are experiencing.

I'd include your exact model, and model year, for better answers :).

:) The info is in my sig, but in case you can't see it: 2019 M3P

A single "bang"? Could be the battery temperature change. That sometimes makes "pops", it's known and fairly common. Happens at superchargers because the battery heats up, but I've had it happen while driving a few times. Not saying that's what it is, but look into that and see if it's what you are experiencing.

No, it is more like a load of metal being dropped then dragged along the road for a short distance until it stops.

Here's a weird one... been getting a sound that is similar to sound of an ICE exhaust system being dropped on the ground.

Only happened twice so far. First time I thought it was exactly that - an ICE with a bad exhaust - but it just happened again with no other cars around.

Happened at parking speeds with the steering turned (but not full lock). Sounds like it is coming from the front (right hand side).

Nothing loose under the car, brakes are a bit squeeky but nothing unusual for a car that doesn't get used much in the winter.

Anyone got any ideas what this might be? No point in taking it to the SC if I can't replicate it.
Is your tire catching the wheel well liner?

If it sounds like it's being dragged, I would almost bet it is the dust cover on the back of your brake rotor coming loose. if it's from the right front, go into an empty parking lot, turn the wheel all the way to the left and drive in a circle. this should push your rotor inward toward the brake cover IF it is lose and make the sound. You shouldn't need to do it too fast, maybe 5 or 10mph.

• Helpful
Reactions: J1mbo and KenC
Many of us have experienced a small item being stuck between the pad and the rotor which then makes a very loud noise - like metal scraping on other metal. Never heard it proceeded by a bang though. It also doesn't stop until the item is dislodged, either on its own or by accelerating and stopping hard or reversing and stopping hard until it gets dislodged.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I had what seems to be the same horrible sound. It turned out to be a small stone that had gotten lodged between Tesla's unique brake disc cover and the disc. I followed some instructions I found here or online and went forward and back a few feet each a number of times till the stone fell out. I also banged on the cover with my hand. It only happened once though I live on country roads and a long dirt driveway.

Apparently, almost all other cars have a slight drag with the brake pads constantly scraping on the disc to keep the disc free of rust & dirt. Tesla wanted to remove the drag and put a cover over the disc to keep the rust & dirt off the discs but now & then they can pick up a pebble that makes a HUGE unholy racket.

• Informative
Reactions: J1mbo
I just experienced a very similar sound like an exhaust system dragging on the street. I think it had to do with sand or a stone getting caught in the rotor b/c I took a large pail of warm water and doused the tire and sound all gone!

Reactions: J1mbo