Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird metallic/mechanical sound when steering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was up visiting a client in Callander today when my car started making a weird noise as I was navigating through the windy country roads. The noise came from under the car, near the front. But It only seemed to happen as I turned the wheel. It was quite loud and sounded like metal grinding. The weather was exceptionally bad up there. VERY wet. Sections of the road along Loch lubnaig were partially flooded, but in no way unsafe to drive on before someone lectures me. Just significantly more water than perhaps you'd expect.

I pulled over a few mins later at a garage when it was safe to do so. Couldn't see anything untoward under the car at the front, so I drove onwards and asked my colleague to record the sound. It's not fantastic quality tbh, but perhaps someone may be able to identify? It seemed to stop some minutes later and I haven't heard it again.

Could it be the power steering?

So I was up visiting a client in Callander today when my car started making a weird noise as I was navigating through the windy country roads. The noise came from under the car, near the front. But It only seemed to happen as I turned the wheel. It was quite loud and sounded like metal grinding. The weather was exceptionally bad up there. VERY wet. Sections of the road along Loch lubnaig were partially flooded, but in no way unsafe to drive on before someone lectures me. Just significantly more water than perhaps you'd expect.

I pulled over a few mins later at a garage when it was safe to do so. Couldn't see anything untoward under the car at the front, so I drove onwards and asked my colleague to record the sound. It's not fantastic quality tbh, but perhaps someone may be able to identify? It seemed to stop some minutes later and I haven't heard it again.

Could it be the power steering?

That sounds like a stone stuck in the brakes to me?
I had a road planning chip stuck and it sounded horrendous, took it into my local service centre and they whipped the wheels off to get it out as it was scoring the disc as the wheels turned.

You've probably been lucky and it's found its own way out quickly.

It might be the wheel nuts… this exact thing (sounds very similar) happened to me on full steering lock.
I contacted Tesla and they came out and removed and cleaned the front wheel nuts. They said it’s due to the grease they use on the lugs/nuts from the factory. Once they were cleaned up, the noise went away.