Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird noise fron rear left wheel, bad wheel bearing??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone.

There was a noise start to shows up about half a month ago, it starts from almost nothing but to a little big road noise till now to a bit loud which is very noticeable when on high speed.
The loudness of the noise will go up when driving from low speed to high speed, start to show at about 20mph.
The noise will disappear when make a big right turn but not left turn temporary.
Tire still have a little bit of tear and no other symptons shows.
If im able to read code of bad wheel bearing? or a drive unit fail? Have drive unit replaced 2 yrs ago because of the noise issue, but the sound of the noise are not the same.
plus this Model S is already 64000mi, and I dont think it ever replaced the bearing before.

Any suggestion thanks
If anyone replaced their bearing may I know the cost to replace it.

Hello everyone.
The noise will disappear when make a big right turn but not left turn temporary.

The noise going away when load shifts away from the affected wheel is usually a sign of a bad bearing. However, see my reply to 'Merica below - it is MUCH easier to hear noise from cupped/frayed tires on our cars than on a gas car.

I thought I had a bad wheel bearing and was all set to have two replaced - it turned out to be tire noise. Completely disappeared when I installed new tires. Now I have a new wheel bearing sitting on my shelf.

I went through the same exercise with my Model 3 about a month ago with less than 15k miles on my stock Primacy MXM4 tires. The noise was a loud and distinct speed-dependent helicopter chop (whoop-whoop-whoop), so I was sure it was a bad wheel hub bearing. My local SC was super patient with me but also adamant that it was coming from the tires. Eventually I went ahead and put snow tires on - and the noise was gone. When I took a close look at the MXM4s, they were very obviously cupped. I did an alignment check, sure enough, front passenger tire had significant negative toe.

• Helpful
Reactions: outdoors and Stach
I went through the same exercise with my Model 3 about a month ago with less than 15k miles on my stock Primacy MXM4 tires. The noise was a loud and distinct speed-dependent helicopter chop (whoop-whoop-whoop), so I was sure it was a bad wheel hub bearing. My local SC was super patient with me but also adamant that it was coming from the tires. Eventually I went ahead and put snow tires on - and the noise was gone. When I took a close look at the MXM4s, they were very obviously cupped. I did an alignment check, sure enough, front passenger tire had significant negative toe.

I have that exact same "helicopter chop" or one window down buffeting sound and took it to the Schaumburg SC in Chicago. The sound becomes more prominent the faster you go and unfortunately with the loud cement freeways, 2 different techs claimed they were unable to hear it and I definitely could, although it was more difficult through the loud road noise. While the sound was still there after the appointment, they did give me an alignment and over time, the sound appears to be lessening, presumably as the tires wear away the cupping (at least I hope). I'm not all that impressed with the MXM4 tires (not all that quiet and appear to wear quickly) and I have a set of X-Ice3's on aero rims ready to swap in for winter, so I'm hopeful that the sound will completely go away once I swap....it'll definitely be interesting to hear.

Reactions: ilyak
I have that exact same "helicopter chop" or one window down buffeting sound and took it to the Schaumburg SC in Chicago. The sound becomes more prominent the faster you go and unfortunately with the loud cement freeways, 2 different techs claimed they were unable to hear it and I definitely could, although it was more difficult through the loud road noise. While the sound was still there after the appointment, they did give me an alignment and over time, the sound appears to be lessening, presumably as the tires wear away the cupping (at least I hope). I'm not all that impressed with the MXM4 tires (not all that quiet and appear to wear quickly) and I have a set of X-Ice3's on aero rims ready to swap in for winter, so I'm hopeful that the sound will completely go away once I swap....it'll definitely be interesting to hear.
I had two techs ride with me and not hear it, so I went out and found a local road with brand new pavement. As soon as I turned onto it, the tech that rode with me that day said "tires". He then took me out to the same road in a shop Model S with OEM Primacy tires and it made the same exact noise. I think my next set is going to be the CorssClimates or maybe even a true summer tires. My stock MXM4s were worn so unevenly that the car had a rather strong pull to one side after alignment.

• Helpful
Reactions: Stach
Even though the sound isn't terribly loud, it has been driving me slightly nuts because of how quiet the rest of the car is. Thanks to everyone here for confirming the issue and sharing your experiences as it does show me that there is hope.

Hello everyone.

There was a noise start to shows up about half a month ago, it starts from almost nothing but to a little big road noise till now to a bit loud which is very noticeable when on high speed.
The loudness of the noise will go up when driving from low speed to high speed, start to show at about 20mph.
Tire still have a little bit of tear and no other symptons shows.
If im able to read code of bad wheel bearing? or a drive unit fail? Have drive unit replaced 2 yrs ago because of the noise issue, but the sound of the noise are not the same.
plus this Model S is already 64000mi, and I dont think it ever replaced the bearing before.

Any suggestion thanks
If anyone replaced their bearing may I know the cost to replace it.

I just had my front drivers side wheel bearing replaced for what sounds like the same problem you’re having.

I had a tech drive my car and I rode with him (due to having a napping toddler in the back seat) to diagnose the issue.

He lightly swerved and the noise went away with the shift in load.

Immediately scheduled a mobile tech and they swapped out the bearing in my garage.

All fixed!

I just had my front drivers side wheel bearing replaced for what sounds like the same problem you’re having.

I had a tech drive my car and I rode with him (due to having a napping toddler in the back seat) to diagnose the issue.

Immediately scheduled a mobile tech and they swapped out the bearing in my garage.

All fixed!
wow, for the partthe noise went away with the shift in load, im sure my problem is the same as you. That when somebody sit behind me which right on that wheel, the noise disappeared. How much did you pay for the swap? Thanks!

All fixed!
How much did it cost?

The noise going away when load shifts away from the affected wheel is usually a sign of a bad bearing. However, see my reply to 'Merica below - it is MUCH easier to hear noise from cupped/frayed tires on our cars than on a gas car.

Those MXM4 tires are notorious for being either out of round or cupped. I believe "runout" is the industry term. Mine did the same thing, requiring multiple revisits for rebalance, but did not cure it. Eventually, the sound went away, maybe 1000 miles later.

Those MXM4 tires are notorious for being either out of round or cupped. I believe "runout" is the industry term. Mine did the same thing, requiring multiple revisits for rebalance, but did not cure it. Eventually, the sound went away, maybe 1000 miles later.
My car has successfully cupped three separate sets of tires (MXM4s, Sottozero 3s, and CrossClimate+) over 55k miles. I've had it aligned by several different service centers a bunch of times, had the suspension checked over, tires rebalanced, and etc. In the end I just got used to the whoop-whoop-whoop of cupped tires.