TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Weird Noise/Vibration from Left Headlight

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Black/Black MS, Sep 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Black/Black MS

I"m getting a loud rubbing type noise (sort of sounds like when a fan belt is going out) from my left front headlight, and can even feel the headlight vibrating, This continues even when the car is off.

I have a service appointment for next week, but does anyone have any idea what this is?

2. Hota

Hota Member

My light had this issue and they replaced it. The other one also buzzes after the car is off but it's really really faint so I'm not too worried about it now. The new replacement light is dead silent. Probably a ballast issue or something.

This was the beginning of an maintenance ordeal for me as they chipped my paint and damaged my XPEL during the replacement. So they touched up the paint (annoyed they didn't repaint the front end) and ultimately reapplied XPEL and a nanoceramic coating.

3. Black/Black MS

The noise had stopped by this morning, so I'm wondering if whatever motor was causing the issue just burned itself out.

4. Black/Black MS

The outcome of this is that the headlight assembly ballast went bad.

Brought the car into Tesla service in Burbank Monday morning, they replaced both left and right headlight assemblies, and I was on my way Monday evening. Car perfectly silent again. Great and responsive service from Tesla.