TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Weird number at top of Home screen in Tesla iPhone app

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by wattsup, Feb 5, 2017.

1. wattsup

wattsup Member

On the home page of the iPhone app, there is a six-digit number at the top of the screen.

Other pages, such as "Settings", show the page title ("Settings") in the same place.

Curiously, it seems like the number might be based on my car's model year and bits of the zip code associated with My Tesla account, but that could all just be coincidence. (It could also just be an app bug.)

Does anyone know what the number on the Home page means? (And, why doesn't it just say "Home"?)

2. ThisIsTrue

ThisIsTrue Member

What shows at the top of my app screen is the name I gave my car. Did you name yours? If not, I suspect it would show the last 6 digits of your VIN.

3. wattsup

wattsup Member

Ah, thanks. I guess I need to name my car. (I did see that option in the menus on the touch screen.)

And, you're right. It is the last six digits on my VIN.

The number begins with "17" (same as my model year) and then the first two digits of my zip code, and then ends with the last two digits of my zip code. But, I'm sure that is just a crazy coincidence (which I never realized for the last month or so while waiting for my build!) as that part of the VIN is basically just a "counter".

Crazy.