TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Weird pings in back of car

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by eco5280, Mar 18, 2015.

1. eco5280

eco5280 Member

I've got a rattle noise that sounds like it's under the trunk, or part of the rear axle or something. Sometimes it sounds like pings of rain or hail hitting the rear glass. Sometimes it sounds like gravel pinging up and hitting the axle or battery or something right there. Thing is - it will happen when I'm stopped sometimes. Almost like a mouse caught in the trunk but I looked :smile: Any ideas?

2. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

A guess, but there are coolant lines that run through the on-board chargers (under the rear seats) and to the motor/inverter in the back. Do you think the coolant flow might be "rattling" a supply hose that isn't fastened down properly?

3. eco5280

eco5280 Member

Totally could be that - I know fridges and freezers make all manner of weird popping and rattling noises. I bet it's a loose coolant line or something. Thanks!