Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird powered boot issue model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had a quick search and I cant see anyone having the same issue as me. But recently on the first attempt to open the boot. It refuses to open as if there is an obstruction. If i press the boot again it works. Repeated attempts after work just fine. But that first attempt, after a while, just doesnt want to play as if it cant be bothered 😅

Im reluctant to take it in as Tesla will probably say its fine. Has anyone has the same issue? Could it be software related, updated it last week. Been fine until now. Need to do a reboot in honesty but just interested in opinions and if anyone else had this problem, and the outcome!

Ah nice, wd40 work ok? Does it work just fine now?

WD40 will work for starters, but being petroleum based it isn't long lasting for anything. I used their brand of white lithium grease and that's going to last. I poked the straw down the rubber cover of the strut, sprayed up and down a few times and let it sit for a bit. Then I also sprayed all the joints and latch.

Yep, it's back to how it was when new. Not a single stop when opening for weeks now. If anything, it now opens smoother and faster than new. I do wonder if they forgot to grease the joints at the factory.

Reactions: Gamemeister
WD40 will work for starters, but being petroleum based it isn't long lasting for anything. I used their brand of white lithium grease and that's going to last. I poked the straw down the rubber cover of the strut, sprayed up and down a few times and let it sit for a bit. Then I also sprayed all the joints and latch.

Yep, it's back to how it was when new. Not a single stop when opening for weeks now. If anything, it now opens smoother and faster than new. I do wonder if they forgot to grease the joints at the factory.
Awesome ill give it a try. Thank you 😊

I applied the standard wd40 and it seemed to work for a week. But the issues started again, so just got this white lithium version in hope that it fixes the issue. Its been to the service centre to but whatever they've done hasnt touched it 😅 Just hoping this is a more permanent solution. I'm convinced it is just sticking somewhere but time will tell if this works

This is the wrong thread to make this comment so I'll put my tin hat on... there's definitely a coolness factor in having a powered boot ... but I have to say ... I can open my boot, throw some stuff in and close the boot again whilst someone next to me is still standing waiting for their boot to fully open! (That's even with a fully working mechanism.)

Reactions: Roy W. and init6
This is the wrong thread to make this comment so I'll put my tin hat on... there's definitely a coolness factor in having a powered boot ... but I have to say ... I can open my boot, throw some stuff in and close the boot again whilst someone next to me is still standing waiting for their boot to fully open! (That's even with a fully working mechanism.)

Fancy having to stand there while it's opening an closing... Mine is open before I even get there and closing when I've long gone. Far quicker!

I was at an event last weekend where I had to repeatedly take stuff out of the boot throughout the day. real PITA to wait for it to open before I could get stuff out.

Apologies for dragging this back up but did those who had this issue have it reoccur after applying the lubricant?

Mines been having this issue the last few weeks applied some lubricant to the joints but not the actual powered strut yet. Was ok the first attempt but issue was back after that. Wondering if I just need to be more generous with the lubricant or there’s an issue with the electric lift strut.

Thanks

Personally, I consider the power boot to be pointless. The whole point of having a powered boot is so it can be opened automatically when you have your hands full carrying bags, boxes etc so you are unable to operate the release button.

This requires a foot operated sensor, which Tesla doesn't have.

Only last week I returned to the car with both hands full of shopping which I had to put down on the wet muddy floor (it was raining) to open the "powered" boot by pressing the button. Then had to tediously wait in the rain whilst the boot opened, then faff about collecting my carrier bags, one of which had fallen on its side spilling out contents onto the floor, before I could load my (now) muddy bags into the boot.

So..... useless 😕

• Disagree
Reactions: Yachtsman and MrT3
It's more of a "commensurate with the price of the car" thing. It's one of those things that is conspicuous in its absence, when you compare it against rivals at the same price point.

I would tend to agree that it is a luxury in any form, and without the foot activation it loses the main advantage.

Apologies for dragging this back up but did those who had this issue have it reoccur after applying the lubricant?

Mines been having this issue the last few weeks applied some lubricant to the joints but not the actual powered strut yet. Was ok the first attempt but issue was back after that. Wondering if I just need to be more generous with the lubricant or there’s an issue with the electric lift strut.

Thanks
I have one of the first 2021 refresh model 3 with the powerboot, My boot started out, not opening occasionally, then not closing, then eventually it stuck open and i couldnt close it, i ended up having to remove the strut to get the boot to close.

logged a call with tesla and they replaced the strut.. Not had any problems since after approx 7 mnths with the new strut.

My advice would be to log a service request and get it sorted before its too late.

• Informative
Reactions: PR-UK
I would tend to agree that it is a luxury in any form, and without the foot activation it loses the main advantage.
I don't want to appear to be picking on you today :), but I find it most useful when taking things out the car such as the weekly shopping. I can almost hit the button with my nose (but really any spare finger) to close the boot and walk away. I dare say foot operation would give added value, but I do find it useful just for closing.

Thanks

Yours may well be more serious since it hasn't gone away, mine was clearly sticking and has been fine since I lubricated everything on both sides.

I wouldn't say I drowned it, but equally I didn't use just a few drops. Best I can describe was a proper spray around everything, just a usual amount. But it was instantly clear it fixed it and it has never had a problem opening ever since. I didn't have any doubts like your situation. Hence, yours sounds like a service request.

• Informative
Reactions: PR-UK