Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird Range Issue - Tesla's weird reply!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long story short, wife left in our '21 MYP from here in Phoenix to Last Vegas a week ago. A route we've taken before with no issues stopping at the
Superchargers. After the first stop, she charged to 95% and had like 230 miles or range to go the 127 miles to the next SC. About 10 min in she got a warning saying "reduce speed below 60mph to make to to your next charge", then 5 min later ".... below 50mph" and then 5 min later it said there wasn't enough range left to get to the next charger. This is a very popular route with Tesla's and shouldn't be an issues. No other errors, no crazy excess speed or wind. Didn't make sense. So he had to turn around and come home (in a panic and HATING on Tesla's!). I opened a ticket - Tesla did a remote diagnostic of the battery and found no issues. I got a call today and the person on the phone told me that I should " charge the battery to 100% then down to around 20% around once a month to re calibrate it" thinking that my battery lost it's accurate range. She said they've had several customers do this and it "corrected wrong range estimates". She also forwarded me the official Tesla battery guide, which not surprisingly, does not mention this at all. I'm very skeptical of this but will give it a go.... https://www.tesla.com/support/range

Is this way off? If this was a thing you'd think there'd be at least official documentation for doing this?

Attachments

• IMG_1953.jpg
    IMG_1953.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 125
This entire 40+ page thread in the model 3 subforum from august 2020 is about that topic:

I would suggest just reading the first post, which basically is the OP of that thread getting that same information from tesla.

I have no idea if that would be what you were experiencing, though as the symptom doesnt quite match up since you are talking about consumption.

Reactions: Marcust99
The BMS calibration should help the car know how much energy the pack can contain, thus how many kWh remain at X%SOC. Can't hurt to help the car calibrate. It's the "fuel gauge" after all.

At what speed was she driving, was it raining, and did you have a headwind? Bonus, was it uphill? 230 miles of rated range doesn't mean anything, you can burn that energy at whatever speed you want (almost).

Is this way off? If this was a thing you'd think there'd be at least official documentation for doing this?
If you had (or your wife) know the distance that was required to reach to the SuC then I would have trusted my calculation over the battery estimation. Like you said it was know route, I have had similar situation and reached to the charger just fine. Approximately 7% left on the battery.