TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Weird Sound coming from MCU

Discussion in 'Model S' started by mbhforum, Mar 31, 2018.

1. mbhforum

mbhforum Active Member

I’ve had my 2015 S for a little over a year now and this is the first time I experienced this....I got into my car after lunch and heard a really weird sound that sounded like a bad fan while I was driving. I turned off my climate control and it remained...I happened to be close to my Tesla Service center so I called them to see if I can swing by and when I was on the call via Bluetooth, the sound disappeared. Tesla told me to reboot the MCU as they’ve seen this issue before and sure enough that fixed it. Obviously software related.

Anyone else ever have this happen? My wife claimed it happened once when she was driving. (Of course I hear about it now!)

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Did it sound like a fan on high speed? I could see how software messing up could trigger that...

3. mbhforum

mbhforum Active Member

I wish I took a video of it but I was driving. It sounded like a broken fan at High speed....

4. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

I was wondering about that, but you wouldn’t think a reset would fix it, then!

5. RDuke

RDuke Member

I had exactly the same experience yesterday for the first time in my 2015 S. Sounded like the fan in the MCU was over-revving.

Resetting the MCU cured it, at least for the time being. I have a 10 second video clip, but can't figure out how to upload it here to TMC.

6. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

The MCU does have fans... and I assume they are under machine control for variable speed... sounds like the MCU got confused.