Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird static sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had a center console installed yesterday at my service center and they also updated my firmware to .217. Today, my slacker radio and tunein radio both have a lot of static in the background. The music still comes across, but it's got this awful scratchy static noise coming across that makes it un-listenable. It sounds terrible. This seems to be just with the internet radio - other sources sound great.

FWIW i did not have my cell phone in the dock or even in the console (it was in my pocket). I am connected to Bluetooth (and always have been). I did a main screen reboot but that didn't solve the problem. Any suggestions before I call the service center?

Thanks

This interference is most likely coming from your cell phone, especially if you have it located in the cubby underneath the touch screen. That's probably why service is unable to reproduce the sound. Move the phone away and the interference disappears.

I get the noise too, especially when my wife puts her phone anywhere near the center cubby. Even if it's inside her purse. When it's just once phone in there, I can still sometimes hear it from time to time. But that 2nd phone really amps up the noise and frequency of the buzzing sound. Definitely some kind of interference related to the phones. Kids iPads in the back don't affect it at all.

To be fair, our Acura MDX gets the same buzz when both of our phones are near each other in the car.

Re: cell phone interference, I tried moving my cell phone all over the car and it made zero difference with the internet radio static. I also disconnected bluetooth and no difference. Today I also tried to use voice command for navigation, which I frequently do without issue. Every time it said "command not recognized." Usually it works flawlessly. I'm wondering if there is something up with my LTE now...

I just had a center console installed yesterday at my service center and they also updated my firmware to .217. Today, my slacker radio and tunein radio both have a lot of static in the background. The music still comes across, but it's got this awful scratchy static noise coming across that makes it un-listenable. It sounds terrible. This seems to be just with the internet radio - other sources sound great.

FWIW i did not have my cell phone in the dock or even in the console (it was in my pocket). I am connected to Bluetooth (and always have been). I did a main screen reboot but that didn't solve the problem. Any suggestions before I call the service center?

Thanks

Do your parking sensors also sound messed up? Mine do with .188 and my slacker sounds terrible, too. A *double* reboot temporarily fixes it. I'm in touch with Tesla about it at the moment but so far we haven't concluded anything. I'm trying different things to help narrow it down. They're not yet convinced it's a software problem. It wasn't an issue until I got .188.

No parking sensor sound issues on my end.

UPDATE - I spoke with my SC and they said that there was a known bug with .217 that is causing my slacker issues. I may have to wait until the next update is pushed out for a fix. I hope to hear back on a solution tomorrow.