Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird, temporary glovebox problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of my S85 on Wednesday, and totally loving it so far :smile:, but I've had one small issue.

Before I signed off, I did a quick sweep over the car, making sure there were no problems with scratches, door handles, sun roof, windows, glovebox, etc. Just wanted to make sure everything survived shipment with no issues. Everything looked great, other than some very minor swirl marks on one panel (which I can live with...I'm not that crazy about this stuff and I'm planning on applying Glare shortly anyway, so that should cover it up I'd guess).

Anyway, after that I sat in the car for a while and played with all the settings and stuff. And then I tried to open the glovebox again, and it wouldn't open. I clicked the little button next to the screen, and nothing happened. The button clicked, but the glovebox silently remained closed. Tried it a bunch of times, and tried pressing all around the glovebox lid, but nothing worked.

So I called customer service, and the guy I spoke to walked through the issue with me, but wasn't able to help. He said he'd have the closest service center contact me, since it sounded like a defect, but he said he'd never heard of anything like that before. He also mentioned that sometimes if you press the button a bunch of times in a row, the glovebox temporarily locks. This didn't seem like my problem, since I had waited a good fifteen or twenty minutes between my last opening attempt and my phone call, and I didn't press it a bunch of times either (plus this is the first I've heard of any kind of behavior like that, and I've researched the crap out of every nook and cranny of this car).

But anyway, a half hour or so later I went back out to the car, and lo and behold, the glovebox suddenly works again. I've tried it a number of times since then with no problems. Has anyone else ever seen anything like this? It's a bit unnerving...normally I keep insurance cards and registration and stuff in there, and I don't know what I'd do if a cop pulled me over and my glovebox suddenly decided not to open. But of course, now that I can't reproduce the problem anymore, it seems like it might be impossible to figure out what caused it :scared:. Is there at least a manual override I could use to open it in an emergency?

Had same problem right after delivery and I brought it into a Service Center. Fellow got into passenger seat as I was explaining problem and he tried it and he put his right hand on the right edge of the glove box and of course it opened right away and I haven't had a problem in the year since. Try sitting in passenger seat and give a little tug on the right edge as you press the button. Good luck.

Took delivery of my S85 on Wednesday, and totally loving it so far :smile:, but I've had one small issue.

Before I signed off, I did a quick sweep over the car, making sure there were no problems with scratches, door handles, sun roof, windows, glovebox, etc. Just wanted to make sure everything survived shipment with no issues. Everything looked great, other than some very minor swirl marks on one panel (which I can live with...I'm not that crazy about this stuff and I'm planning on applying Glare shortly anyway, so that should cover it up I'd guess).

Anyway, after that I sat in the car for a while and played with all the settings and stuff. And then I tried to open the glovebox again, and it wouldn't open. I clicked the little button next to the screen, and nothing happened. The button clicked, but the glovebox silently remained closed. Tried it a bunch of times, and tried pressing all around the glovebox lid, but nothing worked.

So I called customer service, and the guy I spoke to walked through the issue with me, but wasn't able to help. He said he'd have the closest service center contact me, since it sounded like a defect, but he said he'd never heard of anything like that before. He also mentioned that sometimes if you press the button a bunch of times in a row, the glovebox temporarily locks. This didn't seem like my problem, since I had waited a good fifteen or twenty minutes between my last opening attempt and my phone call, and I didn't press it a bunch of times either (plus this is the first I've heard of any kind of behavior like that, and I've researched the crap out of every nook and cranny of this car).

But anyway, a half hour or so later I went back out to the car, and lo and behold, the glovebox suddenly works again. I've tried it a number of times since then with no problems. Has anyone else ever seen anything like this? It's a bit unnerving...normally I keep insurance cards and registration and stuff in there, and I don't know what I'd do if a cop pulled me over and my glovebox suddenly decided not to open. But of course, now that I can't reproduce the problem anymore, it seems like it might be impossible to figure out what caused it :scared:. Is there at least a manual override I could use to open it in an emergency?
I think someone once mentioned that a small piece of filler can get behind the latching mechanism on the glovebox door. See if that might be the cause.

He also mentioned that sometimes if you press the button a bunch of times in a row, the glovebox temporarily locks. This didn't seem like my problem, since I had waited a good fifteen or twenty minutes between my last opening attempt and my phone call, and I didn't press it a bunch of times either (plus this is the first I've heard of any kind of behavior like that, and I've researched the crap out of every nook and cranny of this car).
(emphasis mine)

Yes, if you repeatedly press the button in rapid succession, the latch will stop responding in a few seconds. I thought that was common knowledge.

That's interesting. I wonder if it wouldn't be possible for this to be leveraged to allow a way to lock the glovebox intentionally. Maybe a setting on one of the config screens: so many button presses (5?) during so many seconds (10?) to lock and another setting for unlock. I haven't looked in the firmware wishlist to see if anyone's already asked about this.

if you have too much stuff in there it can block the open process.

If you hear the open click but it doesn't open you can lean to the right hand side and open it manually. maybe you have to open the passengers door to get a good grip.

(emphasis mine)

Yes, if you repeatedly press the button in rapid succession, the latch will stop responding in a few seconds. I thought that was common knowledge.

Oh, interesting, I tried to search for info on that but I didn't find anything. Do you know how long it stops responding until it starts working again? My suspicion now is that the latch wasn't quite seated properly, and I pressed it a bunch of times and it stopped responding, then I pressed around the edge of the lid and it clicked back into place, but then it wouldn't open again until the button "timed out" and started responding again.

Thanks also to everyone else for your advice and input! Glad to hear that others with the same issue saw it go away on its own, and also good to know I can open the passenger door and grab the edge of the lid to open it.