Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird thing happened with my S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I went to Laguna Niguel for a couple of days last week just to get away, I had emailed hotel concierge about a charger at the hotel, but they informed me there wasn't one on site and directed me to a ChargePoint location nearby. Anyhow, when we got to the hotel, I realized I forgot my phone charger in the car, and went back to Valet to ask where my car was. They said it was on their charger, well, that's great news. I checked via the app and it was charging at 9 amps or something crazy low, said it would be 11 hours until full and there were still 130 miles remaining. Anyhow, when I drove the car 24 hours later, the car was having a hard time waking up it seemed. The door handles didn't auto present, so I hit the button on the key, which opened them. Then I tried to shift from P to D instantly like I do as soon as I get in the car, but it wouldn't engage, then after a few tries it did. Next, the range said 130 miles, but when I checked the app it said 265. I started to drive and waited for the car to reset itself. After about two minutes, the screens on the odometer and the console reset and the correct information was displayed.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before?

Just to update the charging network for people wondering what hotels have chargers, we stayed at the Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel although it's technically in Dana Point, CA.

Haven't heard of this. What FW do you have? You can see the FW version # by pressing the "T" at the top of the 17" screen.

Off hand is sounds like the car was sleeping, but not in the best way...maybe having a nightmare about big ICE cars or something ;)

I had a similar thing happen with the front passenger window. The window would lower itself when the door was opened, but would not raise back up on its own when the door was closed. If I opened the door two or three times, the window would be open 2 or 3 inches. Rebooting the center console seemed to fix the problem.

Sorry, you don't say specifically, so I'll ask: Did you manually reset both displays or did they reset on their own?

For the handles and the not going into drive on the first try; both have happened to me. With auto-present on and walking up to the car they have always presented, but if they present and then go back in you need to either press on the handle to get them to come out or press the fob. Also, when you get in and put your foot on the brake, it takes about a second for the drivers dash to accept a change to "R" or "D" and sometimes I'm too quick.

For the range not showing correctly, that has never happened, and I'd be interested to know if others have seen that. I've only charged from 120V a handful of times and haven't ever on Version 4.5 so you may have discovered a bug.

Sorry, you don't say specifically, so I'll ask: Did you manually reset both displays or did they reset on their own?

For the handles and the not going into drive on the first try; both have happened to me. With auto-present on and walking up to the car they have always presented, but if they present and then go back in you need to either press on the handle to get them to come out or press the fob. Also, when you get in and put your foot on the brake, it takes about a second for the drivers dash to accept a change to "R" or "D" and sometimes I'm too quick.

For the range not showing correctly, that has never happened, and I'd be interested to know if others have seen that. I've only charged from 120V a handful of times and haven't ever on Version 4.5 so you may have discovered a bug.

I don't know of a way to manually reset the screen on the trip instrument cluster speedometer/odometer etc, I don' t think there is one. I did go in to the console and touch turn off. After driving for a minute or two, the displays flickered and corrected themselves with the up to date info.

As for the handles, I am familiar with them going back in to the car and having to touch them. These were simply not coming out via auto present or touch. I had to manually hit the unlock button on the key.

I don't know of a way to manually reset the screen on the trip instrument cluster speedometer/odometer etc, I don' t think there is one. I did go in to the console and touch turn off. After driving for a minute or two, the displays flickered and corrected themselves with the up to date info.

As for the handles, I am familiar with them going back in to the car and having to touch them. These were simply not coming out via auto present or touch. I had to manually hit the unlock button on the key.

is there RF interference around? that messes with key detection severely

+ reset screens holding thumb buttons, it is in manual, forget if bottom buttons or scroll, sorry

I don't know of a way to manually reset the screen on the trip instrument cluster speedometer/odometer etc, I don' t think there is one.
+ reset screens holding thumb buttons, it is in manual, forget if bottom buttons or scroll, sorry
I believe he was asking about the instrument cluster not the 17".

• To reboot the 17", hold the scroll wheels (plural) on each side of the steering wheel for a few seconds until it goes black.
  • To reboot the instrument cluster, follow a similar procedure but apply it to the buttons above the scroll wheels (Next and Voice icons).

is there RF interference around? that messes with key detection severely

No RF interference, I always keep my iPhone and Tesla key in different pockets.

- - - Updated - - -

If it charges at 9A it's probably because the connector wasn't fully inserted, so the pilot signal didn't engage. That results in the car charging at minimum current for safety.

I didn't know that but it makes sense, thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe he was asking about the instrument cluster not the 17".

• To reboot the 17", hold the scroll wheels (plural) on each side of the steering wheel for a few seconds until it goes black.
  • To reboot the instrument cluster, follow a similar procedure but apply it to the buttons above the scroll wheels (Next and Voice icons).

Another gem, thank you.