Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird thing happens to radio when I floor my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The drive unit puts out EMF that could interfere with radio (which is apparently why we don't have AM radio in our newer Teslas). The more power you're applying to it, the more it will emit. The FM radio module (in the passenger side C-pillar) should be shielded and not be affected by flooring the car. Your radio module might have a loose ground or something defective that could cause interference. If still under warranty, make an appointment in the app and have Tesla check it out.

The drive unit puts out EMF that could interfere with radio (which is apparently why we don't have AM radio in our newer Teslas). The more power you're applying to it, the more it will emit. The FM radio module (in the passenger side C-pillar) should be shielded and not be affected by flooring the car. Your radio module might have a loose ground or something defective that could cause interference. If still under warranty, make an appointment in the app and have Tesla check it out.
Might also want to have them check the ground straps for the drive unit(s), too.

You could also have someone drive next to you (if they could keep up... got a friend with a Tesla? :) ) and have them see if they get the same interference that you do. If so, the problem is more likely to be a grounding issue with the drive units than the radio module (which is what I kinda suspect).

Also check to see if it happens with all FM frequencies, from as low in the band as you can find a station, to the highest in-band station. If it's only at certain frequencies, the guy driving next to you will want to be tuned into the same station you're having a problem with.

Oh, and try not to get a speeding ticket while you're diagnosing the issue. ;) "Honest, Officer, I was just checking for FM radio interference..."

Edit: Oh, and you could also take a portable FM radio in your car, too.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: MichaelP90DL