TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

weird wiper design decision...

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by green1, Dec 8, 2015.

1. green1

green1 Active Member

So I had an odd issue with my wipers which has led to an interesting discovery.

I put my wipers in to "service mode" and then lifted the driver's side wiper while cleaning my windshield. When I did so, I heard a "twang" and pieces went flying. Turns out that under the arm, instead of building a spring long enough to reach from the top connection point to the bottom one, the spring is only 3/4 the length with the extra 1/4 made up of a short linkage.
    I can't fathom why anyone would have made this design choice, it ads unneeded complication, and, as I proved, another failure point. In short, that linkage went missing as it flew, never to be seen again.

Luckily for me, when I called Tesla, they had a ranger in the area, sent new parts FedEx overnight, and the Ranger stopped by to fix it the next day.

Unfortunately the parts person in Vancouver sent the wrong wiper arm (passenger instead of driver) and the wrong wiper blade (for a roadster of all things!). Luckily the ranger was able to Jerry rig something from the parts on hand to make my wipers useable again, and I'm on the list for the next Ranger trip to the area to fix it right. Also took care of my seatbelt "recall" while he was here.

So, the service was exactly what I've come to expect from Tesla, amazing, and yet horribly disorganized all at the same time.

2. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Bosch!!! <waves fist at sky> (I think it's a Bosch arm)

3. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I know. What were they thinking? It's not like they have 50 years (generous) of previous wiper arm design to pull from. Yet another item, like the frunk, that I am afraid to touch.

4. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

I have the bosch blades upgraded from what was originally installed at delivery on my car in 2013. I rainex my windshield weekly and haven't had this experience at all. I wonder if you just got a bad one? Mine move all about just like one would think they should.

5. llavalle

llavalle Member

Somewhere around Montreal in Quebec, Canada
    I never pulled hard on my wipers but I was under the impression that, even in service mode, they would not hold perpendicular to the windshield,,, am I wrong?

6. green1

green1 Active Member

As I discovered, you are correct. Only vehicle I've ever worked with where they wouldn't, so I was a bit surprised. Sure I can work with it, but it would be easier to clean the windshield or apply RainX were I able to pull the wipers off and have them stay up.