Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weirdest Glitch Yet (Dollars/Cents During Navigation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday while using the on-board navigation, my Tesla suddenly started reading out "prices" (in dollars and cents) instead of distances. It would go something like this:

"In four-hundred thirty-two dollars and nineteen cents, turn right onto Heights Boulevard"...

It did this for every turn on the entire trip, with different prices each time. I then rebooted the touchscreen computer, which presumably fixed it (though I haven't tried it since).

Just curious if anyone else has encountered this? And even more curious, why would the Tesla navigation system even have the programming to read out prices like that? I can't think of any situation where it would have the need to do that, or why that would even be in its "vocabulary".

Never heard of that nor encountered it myself. It sounds to me like there's a bug somewhere in code which fills in the units as a variable based on your current preference or locale. Normally the units would be expressed as miles or kilometers, but they did recently add support for supercharging fees... hmm.

Were the "different prices each time" cheaper for shorter distances and more expensive for longer distances?

Never heard of that nor encountered it myself. It sounds to me like there's a bug somewhere in code which fills in the units as a variable based on your current preference or locale. Normally the units would be expressed as miles or kilometers, but they did recently add support for supercharging fees... hmm.

Were the "different prices each time" cheaper for shorter distances and more expensive for longer distances?
Hmm, yep that probably explains it. Don't remember but I think all of the prices were in the $200-400 range.

Pay-per-turn system, hasn't been announced by Tesla yet, and squeaked out early. Ooops. Why didn't Jason find this one yet?

How do you think they're going to keep down the model 3 cost... low base price... but charge a dime for every navigation point that causes a change in direction. Announce the price up front and when you say "OK" ding! it's on your account.

Wait till they start routing you in loops.. or making 3 right turns instead of 1 left one... making claims that it chose the path with fewest delays.