Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Welding Shop Charging Network? Too crazy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
Yea, this is a pretty random thought. But while on vacation in Alaska last week I was wishing for my Model S instead of the gas guzzling Armada and Suburban I ended up driving while there. But that led to thoughts about the practicality of driving an EV in Alaska and how and where I'd charge. There were quite a lot of RV parks, so assuming they are EV friendly that would probably be my first choice. But while in Palmer, AK we passed by a welding shop and it got me wondering if we need a welding shop network (with app and web site of course!) in a semi-serious way. Remote locations like Alaska (and Arkansas too, aparently) may have a dirth of public chargers and other Tesla owners, but they often have a wealth of welding shops, auto body shops and other facilities that are likely to have NEMA 6-50 outlets available.

Granting the risks of parking your car for several hours around welding equipment, heavy iron being hauled around and the general filth present in most facilities, that wouldn't be my first choice, but as an emergency back up plan, if the owners are willing, it seems somewhat practical.

It's an ok idea, but I think they could just be added to Plugshare, if the business is willing to share or charge a nominal fee to use them. BTW, I charged at an RV Park a few weeks ago (Mt Washington Auto Road trip), the parks have sort of standardized on $10 for up to 4 hours of charging, so if someone asks you a price, that sounds fair (you could use 36-40KwH in 4 hours, that's a rate of .25 KwH)

I built my 25' 50A extension cord with 6-50 male/female so I could use welding shops (as opposed to building it with 14-50's), and since the neutral isn't needed, it makes the cable significantly lighter. I also have adapters to allow the cord to be used with a 14-50, 14-30, and 10-30 (range or dryer outlets you might find in a house). You will no doubt need an extension cord to use someone's dryer or range outlet...

It's an ok idea, but I think they could just be added to Plugshare, if the business is willing to share or charge a nominal fee to use them. BTW, I charged at an RV Park a few weeks ago (Mt Washington Auto Road trip), the parks have sort of standardized on $10 for up to 4 hours of charging, so if someone asks you a price, that sounds fair (you could use 36-40KwH in 4 hours, that's a rate of .25 KwH)

I built my 25' 50A extension cord with 6-50 male/female so I could use welding shops (as opposed to building it with 14-50's), and since the neutral isn't needed, it makes the cable significantly lighter. I also have adapters to allow the cord to be used with a 14-50, 14-30, and 10-30 (range or dryer outlets you might find in a house). You will no doubt need an extension cord to use someone's dryer or range outlet...

I agree, was being a bit hyperbolic above. I think adding to Plug-Share is clearly the way to go...maybe they can add a welder mask icon.

I was lucky to find that my mom had a 6-50 in her garage because her boyfriend does some welding in there, and whenever I drive to her place (about 75 miles from home), I get to charge at 40A on an extension cord he uses for his welder.

I think adding willing welding shops to PlugShare would be a great idea! I like @mitch672's idea of having an extension cord with adapters too... does it take much room in the trunk? :)

Does anyone know (a) why Tesla doesn't sell an adaptor or (b) how to solve the problem: I have shopped EVE adaptors and Conntek and am building a supply of pigtail and adaptor plugs that don't work.
Is there some danger to using this approach that explains the discontinuation? in terms of speed of charging, this would be the fastest available at my cottage marina, with 240V and 50A, so roughly 50km per hour if you are equipped with the dual charger. I have found things that will give me a male end of Nema16 150R, but the female end is a twist lock thing Nema 16 80R for which I can't find anything that will adapt to any of my (many) adaptors that get me to the Tesla charging port.

Frustrating, as my only other option at the Marina is 110 12 amp, which is fine if I am staying more than two days, but a problem if I want to go up for an overnight.

Thanks,
Green Canuck

Green

Its anyone's guess as to why Tesla discontinued the 6-50 and 14-30 UMC adapters. You may consider this one:
NEMA 14-50R to 6-50P Adapter as it is much cheaper than what I would want for my spare Tesla 6-50. I would highly recommend acquiring all the Tesla UMC adapters (the 6-50 and 14-30 are available if you are willing to dig around a bit) including the new 6-15. Btw, even the 5-20 will give you 125 miles/day.

Good-Luck!

GreenCanuck:
I am confused at this sentence that I saw you also posted in another thread:

“I have shopped EVE adaptors and Conntek and am building a supply of pigtail and adaptor plugs that don't work.”

Why do they not work? I have bought a few adapters from EVSEAdapters.com and I have made one of my own, and they all work fine. I have ones that use 14-30, 10-30, TT-30, and 6-15, and they all adapt back to 14-50 receptacles that the Tesla mobile charge cable can plug into.