Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well I already screwed it up :) Any advice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ct101

MSLR Order 1/10-Wht/Crm/FSD/21s | VIN 6/25 Del 7/6
Jan 27, 2021
Colorado
The first thing I’ll say, as a new MS owner - be careful of that auto-leveling suspension. I was in a parking lot with a “lip” of some sloped/uneven asphalt, and looks like I came in high but the suspension lowered after I parked. Here is the result. I don’t know if PPF would have saved this.

Local body shop wants $1100. Only 400 miles on the car. They want to remove the whole bumper, repaint, re-align sensors.. but they quoted it as a P100D, not understanding what the refresh was.

I’ve ordered paint kits from Tesla and TouchUpDirect. Might just fill and paint and move on with life.

I know people have talked about PPF’ing the whole car, but I don’t think PPF would have saved this, and would have also required a re-do of the PPF.

Annoying lesson learned, but any advice?

Attachments

• 0D98BD28-6829-4E23-A9B7-474D839F991E.jpeg
    0D98BD28-6829-4E23-A9B7-474D839F991E.jpeg
    809.5 KB · Views: 127
The first thing I’ll say, as a new MS owner - be careful of that auto-leveling suspension. I was in a parking lot with a “lip” of some sloped/uneven asphalt, and looks like I came in high but the suspension lowered after I parked. Here is the result. I don’t know if PPF would have saved this.

Local body shop wants $1100. Only 400 miles on the car. They want to remove the whole bumper, repaint, re-align sensors.. but they quoted it as a P100D, not understanding what the refresh was.

I’ve ordered paint kits from Tesla and TouchUpDirect. Might just fill and paint and move on with life.

I know people have talked about PPF’ing the whole car, but I don’t think PPF would have saved this, and would have also required a re-do of the PPF.

Annoying lesson learned, but any advice?
Just personal opinion, but I wouldn't bother with a professional repair. If you touch it up you (no one who doesn't know it's there at least) won't see it without looking for it. Also, it's very likely to happen again at some point, all of my low front cars have gotten scraped up on front spoilers, just par for the course IMHO. Also, that quote is very high again in my opinion. Sorry it happened but I think you can some to terms with it and make better use of $1100!

Reactions: sbizzle and ct101
I just wish, with all the cameras, that there was one in front to assist in parking. I have learned pretty well not to push the front over these parking blocks, but sometimes it is hard to judge where they are. Also, with the existing cameras, the front should also be visible while parking, or in reverse. 360 degree view would be awesome.

Just do some touch up. No one will notice but you. Sorry it happened on your new car. The first blemish is always hard.

PPF would've helped but it isn't that thick too. I have some PPF tears on my front lip where the PPF is flaking off from some scrapes but the paint is still perfect but I don't have an adjustable suspension and bottomed out only a couple times on steep driveways (but not the nose).

Worth noting Tesla's paint correction kit is not compatible with perl white: Paint Repair Kit

Note: Paint Repair Kits are final sale. White is not compatible with Pearl White paint. Final results of Pearl White may appear slightly different than the rest of your vehicle depending on the lighting environment and application process used.
So I didn’t quite understand this. It says -white- isn’t compatible with pearl white, but just that “your results may vary” with the pearl white.

PPF would've helped but it isn't that thick too. I have some PPF tears on my front lip where the PPF is flaking off from some scrapes but the paint is still perfect but I don't have an adjustable suspension and bottomed out only a couple times on steep driveways (but not the nose).
Exactly. I have the front end of my Model S wrapped in PPF, and that same kind of rash ended up on my car last year. Just roll with it...

So I didn’t quite understand this. It says -white- isn’t compatible with pearl white, but just that “your results may vary” with the pearl white.
Don’t worry about this, it has to do with the vendor Tesla uses. The TouchUpDirect paint will work fine for what you have there. Message me if you have any questions on how to use it, I have a pretty intimate knowledge of the product.

Reactions: ct101
my opinion. Not only would PPF not have prevented this, you'd now be facing not just the cost of the paintwork, but you'd have destroyed at least $500 worth of PPF, PLUS assuming you'd want PPF again, add in at LEAST another $500 to redo. (this is why at current pricepoints, I dont think PPF is worth it).

As far as your current repair. I'd not rush to get it fixed. Take your time and research places in your area that do spot repair. Some are mobile. They typically will sand down the affected area, use a special plastic repair type process, then spray/blend. The end result when done right can get you to about 90% like new for far less than a bodyshop would charge.

Take your time..shop arouund

Reactions: ct101