Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well, I Rejected my White P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was so excited to pickup the car! First delivery was canceled middle of last month. Then I received a text saying it would be delivered before the end of September. So I wasn't holding my breath for the new delivery date today, but it actually did happen, I took off work early, and there was a car there waiting for me. But then we found a door ding like mark on the drivers side with a paint chip and another mark next to it, we took pause. Upon closer inspection we found a couple more paint nibs (something black under the clearcoat) which would not have been enough to reject the car, but then we found another paint chip on the front quarter panel, and a couple more paint blemishes in the same area, as well as another defect near the panel and front front bumper. *sigh*

Everything else was perfect so I really thought about accepting it, but couldn't bring myself to buy a new car at close to 80k that was going to need to have 3 panels repainted at a body shop (covered by tesla) in the next couple weeks...

Also while I was inspecting the car I saw some employee drive over a curb in a red P3D+ Or maybe it was an AWD with rims (I can't remember) ouch!

Pictures are only of the main 3 places, but there were 3 smaller blemishes in the paint and another couple paint nibs as well as a small bubble in one of the corners. I don't think I'm that picky so if if it was just the smaller stuff and not these paint chips that were down to the primer (or maybe it's the base coat, I can't tell because it's white) I would have accepted the car.
DoorChip.jpg
fenderChip.jpg
OtherFenderBlemish.jpg

Worst part is that I think I lose my locked in loan rate now, which will add another $800-1000 to the total cost of the car. Plus I have to continue paying paying over $100 a week (about every 5 days) for diesel fuel in the meantime. I guess I will cancel the insurance policy I took out too.

You might try a Credit Union. The rate at mine (PFCU) hasn't changed in years: 1.99%
I had financing through a credit union. I don't think you can find 1.99% for a 5 year anymore, at least not here unless you meet some niche requirements and jump through a bunch of hoops. It was that was for years though but Fed rate hikes have changed everything.

Last edited:
I had financing through a credit union. I don't think you can find 1.99% for a 5 year anymore, at least not here unless you meet some niche requirements and jump through a bunch of hoops. It was that was for years though but Fed rate hikes have changed everything.
sorry to hear about the car. you did the right thing.

Use your currently approved rate to get rate beat with light stream. you'll have 30 days to take the loan. when you do, it's a personal loan so you can take it w/o a car. the fed just raised rates so loans are going to go up again.

Reactions: adaptabl
@glamisduner
Sorry about your continuing challenges with delivery. Hope the next one works out and all this is forgotten.
Btw, Did you catch the month of manufacture of the car you rejected?
Thanks

I forgot to look, after seeing the paint.
sorry to hear about the car. you did the right thing.

Use your currently approved rate to get rate beat with light stream. you'll have 30 days to take the loan. when you do, it's a personal loan so you can take it w/o a car. the fed just raised rates so loans are going to go up again.

I was trying to figure out how to use their rate beat system. I already applied for a loan with them and got a pre-approval. But then I could not figure out the next step to use their rate beat. Also, they don't seem to have a phone number to contact them by?

I forgot to look, after seeing the paint.

I was trying to figure out how to use their rate beat system. I already applied for a loan with them and got a pre-approval. But then I could not figure out the next step to use their rate beat. Also, they don't seem to have a phone number to contact them by?
You send an email to their customer service with your loan details requesting rate beat. Your CU likely sent an approval letter and these letters usually don't have the rate specified. Ask your CU for an email detailing the terms including rate info, then send that along with the pre approval via email to Lightstream.

Worst part is that I think I lose my locked in loan rate now, which will add another $800-1000 to the total cost of the car. Plus I have to continue paying paying over $100 a week (about every 5 days) for diesel fuel in the meantime. I guess I will cancel the insurance policy I took out too.

That's sad to hear but I was afraid of the same situation kinda of as well. My rate lock would've ended on 9/28. I ended up getting my car on 9/28 hah...except my bank sent Tesla the check on 8/26 so that's another story....regardless. I would look at all options to get another rate match.

I was so excited to pickup the car! First delivery was canceled middle of last month. Then I received a text saying it would be delivered before the end of September. So I wasn't holding my breath for the new delivery date today, but it actually did happen, I took off work early, and there was a car there waiting for me. But then we found a door ding like mark on the drivers side with a paint chip and another mark next to it, we took pause. Upon closer inspection we found a couple more paint nibs (something black under the clearcoat) which would not have been enough to reject the car, but then we found another paint chip on the front quarter panel, and a couple more paint blemishes in the same area, as well as another defect near the panel and front front bumper. *sigh*

Everything else was perfect so I really thought about accepting it, but couldn't bring myself to buy a new car at close to 80k that was going to need to have 3 panels repainted at a body shop (covered by tesla) in the next couple weeks...

Also while I was inspecting the car I saw some employee drive over a curb in a red P3D+ Or maybe it was an AWD with rims (I can't remember) ouch!

Pictures are only of the main 3 places, but there were 3 smaller blemishes in the paint and another couple paint nibs as well as a small bubble in one of the corners. I don't think I'm that picky so if if it was just the smaller stuff and not these paint chips that were down to the primer (or maybe it's the base coat, I can't tell because it's white) I would have accepted the car.
View attachment 340586 View attachment 340587 View attachment 340588

Why do them keep sending cars like this. They need a QC department that works. No car should ever be sent out like that.

Reactions: C141medic and Sg911
Ah geez man I'm sorry, those are definitely some good chunks taken out... 2 hours until I go see my car, same config as yours...so cautiously optimistic. Wish we could just be flat out excited and not have to have this anxiety about whether there's going to be MULTIPLE full thickness areas of damage!? :(

*reads OP's story, and think maybe they're being a bit picky
*looks at photos
*head to desk going why even bring someone down to look at that?

I had less paint issues on my 3 year old Model S that I traded in.
Well the marks are maybe a bit smaller than they may appear in the photos but certainly still noticeable if your looking from a few feet away. I was thinking maybe I am too picky and I should let the body shop fix them up. But the idea of buying a very close to 80k (79.5k after tax) vehicle that needs to be repainted on 3-5 panels just didn't sit well with me. If this was a used car I would have expected some chips etc as they are bound to happen over time. But then why by a new vehicle? Plus I paid extra for this premium paint job.

Thanks for the comments everyone, I feel re-assured that I made the right decision to reject the car, but wow I did not want to...

They still had the die-cast model in it too, I should have asked to take that with me but I forgot about it and focused on the decision to keep or reject.

Well the marks are maybe a bit smaller than they may appear in the photos but certainly still noticeable if your looking from a few feet away. I was thinking maybe I am too picky and I should let the body shop fix them up. But the idea of buying a very close to 80k (79.5k after tax) vehicle that needs to be repainted on 3-5 panels just didn't sit well with me. If this was a used car I would have expected some chips etc as they are bound to happen over time. But then why by a new vehicle? Plus I paid extra for this premium paint job.

Thanks for the comments everyone, I feel re-assured that I made the right decision to reject the car, but wow I did not want to...

They still had the die-cast model in it too, I should have asked to take that with me but I forgot about it and focused on the decision to keep or reject.

Are there alternate cars you can take? You can probably find a demo car in better condition and get a discount on top.

Are there alternate cars you can take? You can probably find a demo car in better condition and get a discount on top.
I don't know they told me I will have to wait for a representative to contact me with a new VIN. Estimate is 2 weeks to a month, but it could be sooner or later as well. Website went back to saying Late September delivery. Guess I have time to detail the 3500 I'm borrowing.

Sorry to hear. I applaud your decision to reject the car and wish more people did what you did so Tesla will put paint quality as a higher priority. I've inspected 4 Model 3's that resulted in 1 delivery (Aug build) and 3 rejections (Jun, Jul, Sep builds). Quality isn't consistent at this point and whether you get a better or worse build is luck of the draw.

As for the loan, your best bet is Lightstream with Rate Beat. That way you can get funded before your first delivery attempt and not worry about VINs and how rejecting the car will affect your rate.

I don't know they told me I will have to wait for a representative to contact me with a new VIN. Estimate is 2 weeks to a month, but it could be sooner or later as well. Website went back to saying Late September delivery. Guess I have time to detail the 3500 I'm borrowing.

I guarantee you they will move a show room car with a discount. I trust the older vins over the newer ones anyway. I’ll ask my bud to send you his sales rep that set him up.

Reactions: Glamisduner