TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Well.....I sold my TSLA shares today

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by PearlModelS, May 9, 2013.

1. PearlModelS

PearlModelS Member

For better or worse, I sold my TSLA shares today that I bought when I put down my deposit in October 2012. I took a 116% profit.

After getting burned with AAPL shares, I figured I should not be greedy.

I love my car, still believe in the company, and actually put in a good til cancel to buy in again after today's 'exuberance' quiets down a little.

So, did I make the right decision?

2. bhuwan

bhuwan Active Member

As long as you are happy, why does it matter? "right decision" is relative to yourself :)

3. ShortSlaver

ShortSlaver Member

If you're happy, then sure. There might be an opportunity in the coming weeks for you to get back in - then again maybe not. Who knows?

I sold old options, booked some profits and took some new options.

4. deonb

deonb Active Member

So YOU're the one that just caused the price to crash by $1.00. :tongue:

5. rage_777

I sold some of my shares just to recoup my initial investment, now I am playing with house money.

6. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

#6 Citizen-T, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 9, 2013
    I don't like making all or nothing moves personally. I like rage_777's strategy better. Or, I would have replaced my shares with options.

That said, you had a huge gain, and you should be proud. Enjoy your profits.

7. ShortSlaver

ShortSlaver Member

I tend to agree, hedge a bit. Sell parts of your position first and accumulate again if an opportunity arrises, etc.

8. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

@PearlModelS
    It's very difficult to answer to your question. It's very much a problem of personal kind. Anyway I think that Tesla stock is going to increase constantly during this year.

9. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I too got out to lock in the gain. But I still believe in the company and their cars and if a buying opportunity presents itself I plan to get back in. Way to go TESLA!

It looks like the good earnings report and Consumer Reports gave us a BIG bump today.

10. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

No you didn't. May 9th high was $75 with $69 close.

I suspect questions like this will recieve the same answer for at least the next two years.

11. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

I got out partially when stock hit $125. I got out just enough to cover the cost of the car. I kept just enough so that when, and note i say when, stock hits $220, i will have made my entire investment back, with perhaps a tiny profit AND a "free" car!! Should the price come back significantly, say below $95, i will buy in again. Otherwise, I will be a VERY happy chappy if things progress as they are now.

12. ppl

ppl Member

Just curious but why not when 129 or I believe it was over 130. What changed your mind today to lessen confidence

13. DaveT

DaveT Searcher of green pastures

#13 DaveT, Jul 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
    I would say you made probably made a mistake unless you have a better investment at hand.

Reason being:
    1. You need to pay short term capital gains since you purchased the stock in October. If you would have waited a few more months to sell it would have reduced your tax burden significantly. Also with TSLA marching toward 25% gross margin I don't see stock price tanking and staying down. Risk is relatively low (though of course always there is risk w/any investment).

2. If you don't care about tax burden then you probably should have waited until after Q2 earnings and sell then. Very probable Q2 earnings will be good news.

3. You set a limit order to get back in, but if it doesn't execute before Q2 and earnings are good then your limit order might not ever execute and then if you want in you'd have to get in at a much higher price than you originally expected. Also, since you're paying short term capital gains tax your limit order should be significantly lower than current stock price (to make it worth to cash out now and pay tax).

But if you have it in a tax-deferred account then your more free to trade whenever w/o tax consequences. In a regular account, I think most people would be much better holding long-term. It's rare to find as high quality of company as Tesla with such amazing growth prospects in a huge $1.5 trillion market.

Hope I didn't offend, just my two cents and I'm evaluating it from a purely investment perspective (that's how I took your question) and not considering personal unknowns.

14. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

Hey DaveT, he wrote that on 5/9/13. I'd say yes, that was a mistake.

15. DaveT

DaveT Searcher of green pastures

#15 DaveT, Jul 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
    I was viewing/typing on my phone and thought this was a new post. Haha. :)

May 9, yikes. Not a good time to sell. I remember that day so very clearly.

16. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

I am in Australia. The time difference means US markets are open from midnight to 6 am. So, I had a rising sell order in place from when the shares were 95. The last capital raise was supposed to convert to shares at 125, and the feeling was that would flood the market and drive prices down. That lead to the price point decision, plus the fact that at 125, I was getting a " free" car!

17. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

You should never regret making a good profit.....

18. ShortSlaver

ShortSlaver Member

Exactly. Everyone has a different risk profile and different goals. For some it made a lot of sense to get out then. For others, holding has been the right strategy. I'm happy I've held. Probably could have been better about trading it but haven't had time so buy and hold and pick up options on the dips have worked well enough.

19. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I've bought and sold and bought and sold over the last two years. If I'd held everything till today I be a rich man but I made good profits, I'm happy, I sleep well at night and I've a good feeling I'll continue to make some more profits along the way.

20. toastypasta

toastypasta Member

+10000