Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well, I thought I bought a 2020 Model Y, but only to find out it was a rental, and I was a victim of Fraud!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry but I have to agree. Was fully behind your story and anyone taken advantage of is never fun to hear But when you start popping off Go Fun Me statements many Huge red flags go up for me. Seen this in several other high dollar forum threads and usually speaks of an alternate agenda. You made a mistake. Own it and feel proud you warned others. Don’t however ask them to pity you a handout even if joking. (multiple times…).
Only red flag should be not to support me if, and that’s a big if I do create a go fund me…so, I don’t joke around when it’s a serious offense…neither should you.

Wow I don’t think I had read this long of a thread from start to finish. What a rollercoaster… An incredible lesson for the OP and, honestly, all of us. Before I owned a Tesla, I most definitely wouldn’t have thought of asking the guy to open his account and close out in there. So sorry this happened to you. I’m not an expert and have no clue if you have any chance of getting your money back, but I hope you do.

And then we switch to a fireworks of victim blaming from the experts of the Internet. And let’s not forget the vendor advertising for his used EV website. Wow, what a ride, I’m glad it was at the top when I logged in.

I hope we get a positive update on this saga from the OP soon…

There is usually a special place on the title where a notary can certify the signatures of the owner and the buyer. The entire transaction should be done in a bank and through the verified bank accounts. No cash over say $100 shell ever change hands. It is an interesting idea to ask the seller to open a bank account.

I didn't read the entire thread, but I can't see how it is possible the rental car is not listed as a fleet car on Carfax.

Reactions: Ormond and WhiteWi
Sorry but I have to agree. Was fully behind your story and anyone taken advantage of is never fun to hear But when you start popping off Go Fun Me statements many Huge red flags go up for me. Seen this in several other high dollar forum threads and usually speaks of an alternate agenda. You made a mistake. Own it and feel proud you warned others. Don’t however ask them to pity you a handout even if joking. (multiple times…).
This can’t be said loud enough.

OP “got scammed” because not all due diligence was done. Now, it’s “victim blaming” 🤣🤣 ohhh… ok… suuurrreee. It couldn’t be pointing out shifty/shady/red flags in the story and lack of effort(researching) into some luxury item the OP wanted for less than market value. Ignorance is bliss, I suppose. Smart enough to earn 50k, SMRT enuf to hand it over to a criminal.

How long did OP spend with the seller / car without trying to login or ask any question about app access (you know… the app that everyone loves and talks about how Tesla is so cool with their connected car)? Didn’t think to talk over supercharging fees or how you’ll get back home without having your credit card on file with Tesla?

Often the same people are preyed upon by muggers, scammers multiple times. The muggers instinctively know who is likely to fight back and who will be easier to rob.

People who fall for email scams, i.e. the exiled prince who needs your help in freeing up millions in any of: gold bullion, diamonds, or bearer bonds; else romance scams frequently are victimized more than once.

No one should expect to be able to legitimately purchase a desirable vehicle, watches, jewelry, diamonds or real estate for less that a few percent below the going market price unless you are related to the seller. If you do this you might miss out on a really good deal but at least you won't be the next victim of this type of fraud.

By attempting:
1- to have the SELLER remove said login info from the vehicle.
2- to have the SELLER go into his Tesla.com acct and assign the vehicle to someone else

There are a few, maybe I should start a class. “How to keep 50k and not waste time, a master class in avoiding a scam on a cheap(not cheap) Model Y”

I’ll offer a discount on the other classes, “how to not get scammed on a Model S” and “model 3”. However, the Model X class was suspended, no one would fork out $100k+ because they ‘they got a good deal’. They seem to know how best not to be parted of their funds.
People who already owned a Tesla or are enthusiastic about Tesla likely know to check those things. However, coming from a non-Tesla I'm sure many would never think to check those Tesla logins (since most traditional cars don't have something similar).

People who already owned a Tesla or are enthusiastic about Tesla likely know to check those things. However, coming from a non-Tesla I'm sure many would never think to check those Tesla logins (since most traditional cars don't have something similar).
Then, I’d venture to say, you didn’t do enough research about the car you’re buying. In the age of YouTube and google, you’re able to print a list of what to check when picking up from Tesla. Not too far of a reach to search something like, “what should I check when buying a tesla private party” or I don’t know… “what features does tesla have”

haha… this isn’t a ‘zomg new car that has an app’ you’re talking about a ~10yr production run of connected teslas. Mind boggling that people want a tesla, but know literally nothing about the car. 🥴

I think this thread has run it's course, especially for some of the relatively new members who only have 'you should have done this' posts. It's a shame the mods can't just close this off to everyone except the OP, so we could get an update on eventual resolution.

(not moderation content, not representing TMC or anyone but jjrandorin the regular poster, not jjrandorin the moderator)
================================================

Im not a mod for this subforum, but thats not how it works. When I saw this thread here in this subforum I was virtually 100% sure it would "end up" where it has, because any thread with traction on a subject like this (Scam / Accident) eventually ends up in this exact same place, with people telling the OP what they should or should not have done (or in the case of accidents, how they "definitely had enough time to do X because if you check the video at 2:05 you can see clearly.......).

The only thing that looked somewhat suspect is the OPs repeated hints about a "gofundme" page. The repeated hints about that caused me to "raise my eyebrows" just like it did some others in the thread. In fact, I would say that those repeated hints are what turned this thread toward where it ended up going, although it was always going to sort of go that way anyway (because thats how the internet works in 2021).

Every mention of this "gofundme" page makes the story sound less believable, so the OP should stop talking about gofundme here at all. That isnt relevant, and continuing to talk about it only makes everything else look false (personal opinion).

There are some posts in this thread that are close to being content that should be moved by moderators to the snippiness quarantine, but they are "riding the line" so to speak. If a mod closes this thread it would be closed, period, no one but a mod could post in it, including the OP. That may not be that bad an idea, except that everyone following along simply wants to know the outcome because "they want to know", not because it would mean anything to anyone but the OP.

Last edited:
Ok, here is the update for today: Went to the bank yesterday, talked with bank manager, he contacted financial crimes department. Not much news, other than it is being investigated. I should hear back from them in 5-10 days. So, hopefully they can reverse the cashier's check, and I will have a sort of happy ending. As for asking for money, I will stop. I am sorry it bothered so many people, and made my experience feel untruthful.

I personally find this thread a useful cautionary tale for other would be buyers of used Teslas. It’s a shame there are so many forum members with sharp elbows. I dare say that if a friend told me a similar story, I certainly wouldn’t start finger wagging and telling my friend how much smarter I would be in the same situation. Why do it here? I suppose it is an example of how the anonymity of the internet can really bring out some bad behavior in some people.

I do think the OP deserves some empathy here, and some on this thread have given the opposite. This is a horribly traumatic situation for anyone. As far as the gofundme appeal, there are plenty of example where one gets set up for a crime victim so I can’t blame him for asking about it. I personally wouldn’t suggest it but I don’t know the OPs personal circumstances. It doesn’t change the fact that this was a serious crime perpetrated against one of our TMC members, and empathy or constructive comments are the only real appropriate responses to something like this.

thank you OP for sharing your story. so sorry you got scammed. Hope u get back the cashier check and hope the guy get caught! u know karma will eventually catch up to him!

I feel a little of your pain. I got scammed a few years ago buying warriors NBA finals tickets from craiglist. Ticket from ticket master look legit, ID look legit, receipt look legit. Price wasn't too good to be true. Paid the guy cash and went to the game. Got to the gate and its fake. End up buying from stub hub and enjoy the game.

Back to you story, I sold and brought many vehicles from craiglist. I did this for a few years. I found many great deals. Some too good to be true but there actually is! U just need to be first. A 50k MY is a great deal in my book. If its 45k, I might question it but I will still go check it out. I saw the title and ID. I don't know too much on ID. but I seen hundreds of titles. Thats legit to me! I would get scam too! I don't blame u. U did what u can, but I guess you miss the most important steps that most seller don't know. I sold my MY last week to the dealer. Guess what, even the dealer don't know what to do. I gave him the 2 key cards and they said thats it. I had to google it to find out the next steps to log out completely by logging into your account and deleting your car and also factory reset the car's computer.

yea, don't worry about the go fund me thing OP. I understand u intend was a joke but some ppl are a little more sensitive in these stuff. Please continue to update us, so we can learn what the bank can actually do about this. Your information is valuable to some of us and I do appreciate u sharing. For the next vehicle I buy, im going to inspect the title a little more now. Also think twice about cash offers. lol

Best of luck and thx again for sharing!

(not moderation content, not representing TMC or anyone but jjrandorin the regular poster, not jjrandorin the moderator)
================================================

Im not a mod for this subforum, but thats not how it works. When I saw this thread here in this subforum I was virtually 100% sure it would "end up" where it has, because any thread with traction on a subject like this (Scam / Accident) eventually ends up in this exact same place, with people telling the OP what they should or should not have done (or in the case of accidents, how they "definitely had enough time to do X because if you check the video at 2:05 you can see clearly.......).

The only thing that looked somewhat suspect is the OPs repeated hints about a "gofundme" page. The repeated hints about that caused me to "raise my eyebrows" just like it did some others in the thread. In fact, I would say that those repeated hints are what turned this thread toward where it ended up going, although it was always going to sort of go that way anyway (because thats how the internet works in 2021).

Every mention of this "gofundme" page makes the story sound less believable, so the OP should stop talking about gofundme here at all. That isnt relevant, and continuing to talk about it only makes everything else look false (personal opinion).

There are some posts in this thread that are close to being content that should be moved by moderators to the snippiness quarantine, but they are "riding the line" so to speak. If a mod closes this thread it would be closed, period, no one but a mod could post in it, including the OP. That may not be that bad an idea, except that everyone following along simply wants to know the outcome because "they want to know", not because it would mean anything to anyone but the OP.
Thank you JJ for helping me refrain from posting something that might've been interpreted by some as snippy. It's just that some posters in this thread are so perfect I was tempted to remark how awesome they must be in person. 🤫

Last edited:
One thing that I don’t think has been mentioned… was the Model Y a Long Range or Standard? If a Long Range, that is $10K under even trade in value for low miles. Very sketchy. If a Standard Range, $50K is the going rate, and since a Standard Range is not very desirable $48K would be a very reasonable price for such a car. I think that fact is an important missing fact (because many people are coming to the judgement that $48K is a ridiculously low price for a Model Y, which it would absolutely not be if a Standard Range car).

One thing that I don’t think has been mentioned… was the Model Y a Long Range or Standard? If a Long Range, that is $10K under even trade in value for low miles. Very sketchy. If a Standard Range, $50K is the going rate, and since a Standard Range is not very desirable $48K would be a very reasonable price for such a car. I think that fact is an important missing fact (because many people are coming to the judgement that $48K is a ridiculously low price for a Model Y, which it would absolutely not be if a Standard Range car).

I believe this thread is way (way) past any details like that. They simply dont matter in OP possibly getting any money back, and only really matter in trying to assign blame.

Ok, I have a small update: Went to bank today, and they contacted financial crimes.... looks like the check has not been cashed...not sure why they told me before it had. So, I am back to the waiting game...and either he tries cashing it and gets arrested.... or he doesn't and I get it back after 90 days. So, things might be looking up a little. Anyways, hope everyone following learns from my experience, and this doesn't happen to anyone else.