Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well, It happened to me.....and I am not happy about it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update... SC says it is the 12v battery, the DC to AC inverter and the battery coolant pump

Did they give you an estimate? My guess would be $3,500.

Did they say what happened? Did the battery coolant pump short out and blow the fuse in the DC to DC converter that then caused the 12v battery to die?

BTW: Make sure you get your old parts, or at least the DC-DC converter, back, since you can probably sell it to recoup some of the repair costs.

repair cost will be $2500.00 and yes I plan on asking for my old parts back to have tested to make sure they failed (sorry I don't trust any repair shops, even Tesla). I am sure that will be a battle, they may say Tesla would want the old parts to see how they failed, They did say what happened

repair cost will be $2500.00 and yes I plan on asking for my old parts back to have tested to make sure they failed (sorry I don't trust any repair shops, even Tesla). I am sure that will be a battle, they may say Tesla would want the old parts to see how they failed, They did say what happened
If it was a warranty job... I can see why they might be a problem... but you are paying for it so it is only right you get the failed parts back. Otherwise what are you paying for? You own the car and you are paying for replacement parts... so Tesla has no rights to withhold the failed parts unless they are willing to buy it from you.

Reactions: croman and morrisdl
If it was a warranty job... I can see why they might be a problem... but you are paying for it so it is only right you get the failed parts back. Otherwise what are you paying for? You own the car and you are paying for replacement parts... so Tesla has no rights to withhold the failed parts unless they are willing to buy it from you.
There have been time where are car maker would just keep the parts, the majority of owners will not ask for them to be returned. Those parts ae then refurbished but you are correct, no warranty....my parts. The SC agreed to return the parts. I will test them to make sure they failed.

Update..... well guys, got a call from the SC today. They stated that I could not get the old parts back. They will be sent back to Tesla to be refurbished. I explained to the Service tech that I wanted to old parts back since this is not warranty work and if they aren't going to be returned to me it is actually a violation of the Florida Motor Vehicle Act. I also stated that if Tesla wants the cores that can be purchased from me and just deduct the price from the repair. I also call Tesla (in California) and escalated the claim. Waiting to hear back from them. Below is a link to the Florida statute section 559.909 paragraph 5

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

I also stated that if Tesla wants the cores that can be purchased from me and just deduct the price from the repair.

How much would you sell them the cores for?

I suspect that part of the problem is that the service centers haven't done a lot of non-warranty work, and most people wouldn't even think of asking for their parts back. (Though I have seen a couple people do it. One got the parts back no problem, the other one reported that Tesla didn't want to give the charger back, and when pushed they said they would have to remove something internally making it worthless first. He fought a little more and they gave in and returned the part to him unadulterated.) On top of it I don't think they have core charges setup for parts yet. (Which would mean you have to pay to keep the parts, and they could set the core charge high enough that nobody would keep them.)

Reactions: SanDiegoJB

Update..... well guys, got a call from the SC today. They stated that I could not get the old parts back. They will be sent back to Tesla to be refurbished. I explained to the Service tech that I wanted to old parts back since this is not warranty work and if they aren't going to be returned to me it is actually a violation of the Florida Motor Vehicle Act. I also stated that if Tesla wants the cores that can be purchased from me and just deduct the price from the repair. I also call Tesla (in California) and escalated the claim. Waiting to hear back from them. Below is a link to the Florida statute section 559.909 paragraph 5

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Wow, a nice clear cut statute violation. Lucky you! I'm sure you'll get them back :)

How much would you sell them the cores for?

I suspect that part of the problem is that the service centers haven't done a lot of non-warranty work, and most people wouldn't even think of asking for their parts back. (Though I have seen a couple people do it. One got the parts back no problem, the other one reported that Tesla didn't want to give the charger back, and when pushed they said they would have to remove something internally making it worthless first. He fought a little more and they gave in and returned the part to him unadulterated.) On top of it I don't think they have core charges setup for parts yet. (Which would mean you have to pay to keep the parts, and they could set the core charge high enough that nobody would keep them.)

I will know more when I get the parts back. I suspect some things. Kinda hard to believe that all 3 parts will fail at the same time. I will do a voltage and pump test to make sure the parts failed. If a part is replaced under warranty then they are entitled to the parts. If the customer is paying for the parts Tesla or any other car maker is NOT entitles to the parts if the customer ask for them to be returned. A core refund charge should be given to the customer if Tesla wants the parts for refurbishing.

Reactions: brkaus