Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well, it's 2013, when do we get to see a beta?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A 120 kWh pack would be a great 'and one more thing' type of announcement at the beta event, much like the performance version announcement. Elon did forget about the performance announcement until GeorgeB reminded him and he came back on stage. Kind of cool. Maybe they'll announce the 120 kWh pack (if it's offered) as an upgrade for Model S too.

A 120 kWh pack would be a great 'and one more thing' type of announcement at the beta event, much like the performance version announcement. Elon did forget about the performance announcement until GeorgeB reminded him and he came back on stage. Kind of cool. Maybe they'll announce the 120 kWh pack (if it's offered) as an upgrade for Model S too.

I would be surprised with a big jump to a 120 kWh battery pack. Perhaps closer to 100 kWh. However, lets hope Tesla at least takes advantage of the newer Panasonic battery, the NCR18650B that are available today. All things being equal that would increase battery capacity by about 9%. When Gen3 comes out I am hoping the new Tesla platform will take advantage of what Panasonic is working on in their labs now.

Not to take this too far OT, but: in order to design GenIII, Tesla will want the cell costs fixated asap. If production is scheduled for 2015, they must strike an agreement early in 2014, IMO.

Compare the supply agreement for Model S cells with Panasonic in October 2011, production began June 2012.

For Model X, there is still hope for an upgraded battery pack to be announced late in 2013. Announcing it right now would mean bitter disappointment for all current and future Model signature owners that ordered the latest and greatest car of the planet.

Well, yes, but I was under the impression that we saw the Alpha at when the Model X was announced. I suppose that could have been a pre-Alpha.

My understanding is that Alpha's are the cars not built by assembly line, but by hand and are used for designing the true car. When looking at the model S you see a very early model design being driven that doesn't have the same model lines as today's true model S. also I believe the car used for the winter testing, was an Alpha built by hand.

Betas are built on the Assmbly line and are very close to final production versions, these would be the cars used origanly in the Get Amped tours. Betas are true car which are being tested and refined, they also allow the manurfactorying to be tested and refined at the same time.

We have only seen a pre alpha model that was built one off from model s parts. Not parts being tested and designed for the model x.