Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well, just put in my order for a S LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just put in my order for a S LR. Delivery jumped from Nov 22-Feb 23 to March 23 to June 23, part of the reason I put the order in. I am still keeping an eye out for used S's, but based on what I have seen, the used S's do not make economic sense. They could make timing sense for those who don't want to wait, but that is not really where I am. And I figure, the only current risk is the $250. I will want to do some financing. The Tesla system would require me to periodically reenter my credit info so it stays up to date. That seemed like a PITA, so I said I would pay cash but hope to be able to change that down the road. Any words of wisdom?

Definitely indicate that you plan to pay Cash. You can easily change to financing right up to the last day before delivery, and you'd have multiple expired credit pulls by the time you see your MSLR.

Most of us "old-timers" on this forum waited between 9-12 months to take delivery, and posted here nearly every day on the random EDD changes (monkey-controlled). We chortled over silly jokes (FOMO new hinges ;-), and generally consoled one another during the long, bleak waiting. We cheered whenever a MSLR was actually delivered to a member, and groaned about "the *sugar quality control. In the end, we took delivery of this amazing car, and we pretty much all ended up saying the same thing: "It was totally worth the wait!"

So buckle up for a fun year of making new friends here, and being annoyed by the constant random EDD changes you'll endure. In the end, it's totally worth the wait!

Just put in my order for a S LR. Delivery jumped from Nov 22-Feb 23 to March 23 to June 23, part of the reason I put the order in. I am still keeping an eye out for used S's, but based on what I have seen, the used S's do not make economic sense. They could make timing sense for those who don't want to wait, but that is not really where I am. And I figure, the only current risk is the $250. I will want to do some financing. The Tesla system would require me to periodically reenter my credit info so it stays up to date. That seemed like a PITA, so I said I would pay cash but hope to be able to change that down the road. Any words of wisdom?
I was told by adviser don’t update credit again until you get a vin - you can use the finance calculator and apply then

Reactions: 2101Guy
Thanks for the heads up. Delivery has been advanced from when I ordered it. I wonder if the new dates apply to an order made with less favorable rates. I actually would prefer to get it in 2023 for logistical reasons. Let's see what happens.

Reactions: BigDanSRQ
Have had mine since February. I can only tell you...its worth it (especially since I ordered June of 2021 when pricing was $79k). 0-60 acceleration is faster than a 2022 V10 Audi RS8 and about dead even with a 2022 Lambo Huracan EVO Spyder. That..is plenty acceleration performance for me..and then some.
Build quality much better than previous versions and overall, just a well engineered vehicle.

Reactions: BigDanSRQ
Thanks for the heads up. Delivery has been advanced from when I ordered it. I wonder if the new dates apply to an order made with less favorable rates. I actually would prefer to get it in 2023 for logistical reasons. Let's see what happens.
What EDD update did they give you? I’m going to order one soon and right now the order page says Oct 22 - Jan 23.

What EDD update did they give you? I’m going to order one soon and right now the order page says Oct 22 - Jan 23.
Ordered last night and the EDD has already slipped 3 months overnight… Now Dec-Mar 23. The sales rep said if wait gets excessive the only way to speed delivery is switching to a Plaid… get in a Month. I’m not complaining (right now) because I’d like to get it in 23. If the delivery slips to the Spring I might jump to plaid and pay the extra 30K and have to “live” with the extra power!

Ordered last night and the EDD has already slipped 3 months overnight… Now Dec-Mar 23. The sales rep said if wait gets excessive the only way to speed delivery is switching to a Plaid… get in a Month. I’m not complaining (right now) because I’d like to get it in 23. If the delivery slips to the Spring I might jump to plaid and pay the extra 30K and have to “live” with the extra power!
I believe most of us ended up waiting between 8-10 months to receive our MSLRs this year. I haven't really seen any signs of improvement in the order fulfillment times lately, so your car will probably not show up until April - June of 2023... Don't put much faith in the EDDs you see on your account. There's a "random date generating monkey" involved who enjoys inflicting pain on gullible people who put stock in the dates they see.

Reactions: Leeclanual
Yeah I figured… I might still splurge and move to the Plaid if this extends out like you say past March. Sales said that I could get a plaid delivered within a month… and said they have lots of plaid spec cars available immediately depending on config (colors/rims) and distance to travel. For example, The exact color combo I’m looking for (gray/cream/19s) is available in Orlando right now… but I’m having a hard time convincing myself it’s worth an extra 30K… and wife said she doesn’t like the carbon fiber. Sales rep says they’ll remove the FSD no problem… guess all the spec cars come configured that way. Time will tell!

Last edited:
I have to say that after the owning the refreshed LR I don't really see a need for the Plaid for 99.9% of the population. Given that the LR will pretty much run heads up with any stock Lambo and is a family car is a pretty great accomplishment.

I think when I ordered my LR, there was a ~50k difference in price in base price. No expected difference in wait time either. So for me, a 1 second difference in 0-60 time wasn't worth 50k. Nobody new what the the LR would run in the 1/4 so it was just a guess there how much you'd give up. Time has shown that the Plaid is about 1.5 seconds quicker in the 1/4 and about 20 mph faster. Still not worth 50k to me.

Now with the wait time stretching way out on the LR (for a reason) and Tesla narrowing the difference to ~31k base price, and the possibility of getting the car sooner would make it a lot more tempting for me to buy the Plaid if I didn't want to wait so long. Which is why I think Tesla is doing it. Basically forcing you to pay a premium in the form of buying the more expensive car if you want to get it sooner. So for those who don't mind dropping another 30k to get it sooner, might make more sense.

At the same time there is a reason there is a lot of Plaids are available. I think most of the people who REALLY wanted one already have one. I think this might also impact the resale market a Plaid. The LR is already a fairly expensive car, the Plaid even more so. Your available buyers is reduced at each price increase. It would seem to me if you buy a Plaid, not only will it cost you more on the front end and maybe depreciate faster as well. So it could be a double price impact to get your S sooner. I could be totally wrong but it just how I think it will play out. Not to mention as soon as Tesla (or someone else) comes out with a real Plaid beater in performance, the current Plaid yesterday's news. Which may further increase depreciation.

I have to say that the S LR may be the best Tesla in the lineup. I've owned the Y, have a 3 and S (both LR's). The S LR is very quick, doesn't taper off at high speeds, big hatch to hold a lot of stuff, better efficiency than my Y and pretty nice creature comforts such as ventilated seats. It is close enough in acceleration to the Plaid that most of the time you'd never miss the acceleration of it.

So for some maybe drop the 30k to get a Plaid and get your S sooner. I've been very happy with my S other than the yoke (which maybe you'll like) so I would wait it out again.

Sorry to be slow in responding. Actually, my delivery date has been something of a moving target. Currently, Tesla says Dec 22-Feb 23. I think, so far, I have seen 3 different delivery dates. I will believe it when I see the car....

Reactions: Leeclanual