Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well, luck finally caught up with me... Main pack failed...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just because one SC will do it, doesn't mean that they all will.

Granted, but it does mean that it shouldn't be against corporate policy. If it were a policy, then no one would have had it done. Tesla SvCs are all owned and operated by Tesla unlike dealers that are subject to a patchwork of different policies depending on the owner. Tesla should therefore strive for some level of consistency among service centers.

Its tough. Everything an SC does looks like a formal precedent, by Tesla. $44,564 for the 85kwh, wow, even if net cost was 18k. I couldn't help but notice this owner named his area the "Great Northeast Supercharger Desert". Perhaps he bought the 60kwh anticipating what was "coming soon"? That might lend itself to judging a fair price for the swap. As I'm looking at the market, I notice other stats showing <10% were ordered as 60's, but that the used market seems to be about 1/4-1/3 60's.

Riddle me this guys, when my car stopped, the 12v low warning came on immediately after the car stopped, and now the car is dead, shut off the screens and everything, only thing left working is the 4 ways. could it have been a DC to DC converter failure or a 12 battery failure? I had 88 miles left on my main pack when she died.

This may have been covered already, but this sounds very much like a 12V gel cell failure, not a pack failure. There were a number of cars built in the winter/spring of 2013 that received defective 12V gel cell batteries on the assembly line. My car was one of them. The symptom is that after about a year of use, the battery will become resistant to charging. In my case, the car actually contacted the factory itself and warned of the impending failure. (How cool is that?) I then received a call from the Boston service center to let me know they'd be sending a ranger to replace it. They caught the problem before the 12V battery failed completely.

None available on such sort notice, and the service center is about a hour away, so they would need to bring two cars to me, one to drop off a loaner and a second to bring the driver back to Highland Park. I'm fine with the VW as long as it's not for weeks.
Cool, that's what I suspected. Your experience made me wonder would happen/shoudl I expect if it did ever happen to me. I have a couple drives to CA coming up with the family and want to bhave at least thought about it in the unlikely case, knock on wood.

My battery pack failure occurred exactly as Islandbay recorded except that I was able to restart the car and finish driving to my father's house where it really died. I also was able to put it in tow mode but with no need for braking.
i was facing a steep uphill, which is why the braking, it was NOT save to coast the car down the on ramp or I would have.

I was also told it was against Tesla policy to upgrade battery. I was quoted about 12k for the swap, the very next week was told no go.

They do all upgrades now of everything. $18k to go from 60 to 85. I think the P was another 20k and the plus another 23k or something like that. I don't remember the exact options but it's certainly possible to go from an S40 base to P85+ almost fully loaded. Expensive though. Cheaper to trade up. The only upgrades I don't know if they can do is adding the full tech package or sunroof later. Those I don't think they can do. They can do a partial tech package though. Child seats, parking sensors, folding mirrors, etc can all be retrofitted.

They do all upgrades now of everything. $18k to go from 60 to 85. I think the P was another 20k and the plus another 23k or something like that. I don't remember the exact options but it's certainly possible to go from an S40 base to P85+ almost fully loaded. Expensive though. Cheaper to trade up. The only upgrades I don't know if they can do is adding the full tech package or sunroof later. Those I don't think they can do. They can do a partial tech package though. Child seats, parking sensors, folding mirrors, etc can all be retrofitted.
Not all SC's will do these upgrades. Your mileage may vary.

You shoud carry a connector protector to prevent rolling in tow mode.

photo cp.jpg

Battery has just arrived at highland Park. Old Dominion took their sweet time transporting it a measly 40 miles... I have other bad experiences with old domino freight (such as dropping motorcycles and shoving forklift forks straight through the shipping crates for all my products...). Anyways, I should have my car back this afternoon. the install job should only take a hour or so, check the software, test drive and then drop er off :)

Battery has just arrived at highland Park. Old Dominion took their sweet time transporting it a measly 40 miles... I have other bad experiences with old domino freight (such as dropping motorcycles and shoving forklift forks straight through the shipping crates for all my products...). Anyways, I should have my car back this afternoon. the install job should only take a hour or so, check the software, test drive and then drop er off :)

I look forward to hearing about your next range charge. See what you get for a battery (new vs. refurb.) and what revision it is...

I look forward to hearing about your next range charge. See what you get for a battery (new vs. refurb.) and what revision it is...

Yes, I don't know if it is going to be a new pack or a referb, or what revision. I Hope for new (Can always Hope), since their are not as many 60's out their, and not as many failures as the 85's have so far, so fewer referb packs available. Well see. Just got a call, and my pack is already in! Software is testing things right now. This is awesome service!

If there was an excess of 85 batteries an upgrade would make sense. If not, then a battery sold as upgrade is a new TMS not produced. As a business they would probably need to charge a lot for the upgrade to offset the profit opportunity lost on a new TMS sale. Even so, new vehicles on the road is probably strategically more important to TMC than upgrading vehicles. I suspect it is a phase and long-term they will find it profitable to sell upgrades of all types.