Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well, luck finally caught up with me... Main pack failed...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If there was an excess of 85 batteries an upgrade would make sense. If not, then a battery sold as upgrade is a new TMS not produced. As a business they would probably need to charge a lot for the upgrade to offset the profit opportunity lost on a new TMS sale. Even so, new vehicles on the road is probably strategically more important to TMC than upgrading vehicles. I suspect it is a phase and long-term they will find it profitable to sell upgrades of all types.
great points here.

in the case of a pack failure where they have to replace the pack anyway, why not allow the owner to upgrade if they want?

I've been frustrated by the inability to upgrade when I have to replace things on computers, too. Once (many years ago when I worked on operating systems) I talked to a computer hardware manufacturer about this. He said they did try allowing upgrades in such cases for a short time. But their "failure rates" mysteriously tripled when they implemented the policy, so they felt compelled to disallow it. Another case of dishonest people ruining it for the rest of us.

Though in Tesla's case, I agree that their production being limited by battery supply is likely a larger issue, at least for now.

If there was an excess of 85 batteries an upgrade would make sense. If not, then a battery sold as upgrade is a new TMS not produced. As a business they would probably need to charge a lot for the upgrade to offset the profit opportunity lost on a new TMS sale. Even so, new vehicles on the road is probably strategically more important to TMC than upgrading vehicles. I suspect it is a phase and long-term they will find it profitable to sell upgrades of all types.

I would agree with this, but according to TM, they are not yet battery constrained, so allowing a pack upgrade is not the equivalent to not manufacturing an entire car. Besides, they could pretty easily salvage the batteries out of the 60kwh pack to be used in a "refurb" 85kwh pack for future warranty repairs or future upgrades. So in reality, they'd only need to cannibalize out of the supply chain 25kwh of batteries for each upgrade. Or in a perfect world, they'd take the customers 60kwh pack and upgrade it in place with the additional 25kwh battery modules. There probably have been more MS wrecks that totalled the car than there have been people who want to upgrade their packs, so buy back and salvage the good batteries from those totalled cars, and you wouldn't have to touch the supply chain.

Islandbays new 60kw pack being dropped off.
image.jpg

He said they did try allowing upgrades in such cases for a short time. But their "failure rates" mysteriously tripled when they implemented the policy, so they felt compelled to disallow it.

We used to sell some products through a company that provided very liberal return terms to their customers. It started getting annoying when we received a "defective" product back, opened it up and found someone had obviously pried a power regulator off the circuit card using a screwdriver. Obviously he decided he didn't want the product, and triggered a refund by making it defective.

Sure. But all that work is still a relatively low-margin side business for them. Can you share a source for TM not battery constrained? Was that part of the Samsung/Panasonic wrangling?

I'm pretty certain it was during an earnings call discussing the supply chain. They weren't parts constrained (including batteries), they were assembly-line constrained. I.e. They're making as many cars per day as possible with current assembly processes.

Well everybody, I have my car back. Tesla service was outstanding as always. I am currently doing a 2 Hour Dr. I will be supercharging in about 20 minutes as they did not have the pack full when delivered. Understandable given the time constraints were trying to work with. so I will test the supercharging capability of this pack, so far I will admit throttle response seems to be slightly better. Although that could be just due to driving a Volkswagen for the last three days. I will do a more complete update tonight, and will start editing together my YouTube video.

Bad idea to put circuitry inside the pack. To external them means more connectors but replacing just a small module could be done quickly. With redundant modules in the car the switching could be done automatically by firmware. Aircraft have two carbs, two ignition coils, two fuel pumps, etc since almost day one.
--

I'm pretty certain it was during an earnings call discussing the supply chain. They weren't parts constrained (including batteries), they were assembly-line constrained. I.e. They're making as many cars per day as possible with current assembly processes.

When asked about the ended deal with supplying batteries to Toyota, Elon said more the opposite. He said they could have supplied batteries in the future but they would have missed these batteries to make their own cars so it didn't make sense. In other interviews he mentioned the battery production to still be a constraint.

But even aside of that, if Tesla would allow upgrading the battery, they would end up with a lot of used/old 60 packs that can't simply be refurbished.

I thought it would be more appropriate to post the two videos in the Video section.

Battery Pack Failure, Tesla Service, New Pack New Pack Range compared to original

I will still post my overall written commentary here, though most things are outlined in the videos. The pack failure one is a bit long at 22 minutes, though, I cut nothing out, and tried being as open as possible at the whole situation. Only thing not shown was just a couple of phone calls with Highland Park about status updates. I still need to find the time this afternoon to type up a full written account of the experience, and what all was done. And like I said, they went above and beyond what was necessary and what was expected.