Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well, luck finally caught up with me... Main pack failed...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This seems unusual. Definitely never seen this with my "B" 60kWh pack. Perhaps the pack re-furb did not identify and fix what was actually wrong with the pack originally. Maybe they replaced modules thinking there were bad cells when in fact the BMS controller is faulting and pulling the pack out of balance.

Well, had to charge on 120v last night, as both HPWC's were in use by the motel guests, no big deal though. Charged to 207, then imediately after unplugging it dropped to 205, then after driving 1 mile, Visual Tesla had my SOC down to 98% though Im still showing 203 rated, still not right. Better then yesterday though.... Will do another 100% this afternoon right before I go for a drive. This is concerning, thats a big drop from 211 rated in a very short time. Never happened on my old pack :(

I can't see how using rated miles at different states of charge can be used as an accurate health indication of the battery when there are other variables such as time after charge completion, charging rate, SoC before charging, rate of discharge prior to charge start, etc.

Plus, when I've charged on 120v, I've NEVER gotten a rated miles indication that was in the neighborhood of what I get when using a higher power charger. I'd throw those data points out.

Any update on your battery issue? Getting better or worse?
It got better, it stabilized at approx 205 rated. This morning I got 207. Highland Park was more then happy to have someone pull the logs (better safe then sorry, and as usual, a BIG Thank You to HP Service Center!) they said they will get back to me if anything looks noticeably strange. We'll see what happens, I have a lot of driving to do this weekend.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't see how using rated miles at different states of charge can be used as an accurate health indication of the battery when there are other variables such as time after charge completion, charging rate, SoC before charging, rate of discharge prior to charge start, etc.

Plus, when I've charged on 120v, I've NEVER gotten a rated miles indication that was in the neighborhood of what I get when using a higher power charger. I'd throw those data points out.

The range I report is what is displayed immediately after charge completion. I'm having same issue weather I charge on the 120v, at 80 amps on the HPWC, or 40 amps on my 14-50 at home. I'm usually fairly low on charge, Sub-20 Miles, so close enough to be a baseline. So I've been testing all over the board. If I have the luxury of time, I will see what a 100% yields on the Madison Supercharger this evening, though, I will have "Great Grandpa" with us, and he gets antsy...

- - - Updated - - -

Any update on your battery issue? Getting better or worse?

Oh, Met one of your friends last night. Apparently his kids go to school at the same one my Vinny does :) Small World...

It got better, it stabilized at approx 205 rated. This morning I got 207. Highland Park was more then happy to have someone pull the logs (better safe then sorry, and as usual, a BIG Thank You to HP Service Center!) they said they will get back to me if anything looks noticeably strange. We'll see what happens, I have a lot of driving to do this weekend.

- - - Updated - - -

The range I report is what is displayed immediately after charge completion. I'm having same issue weather I charge on the 120v, at 80 amps on the HPWC, or 40 amps on my 14-50 at home. I'm usually fairly low on charge, Sub-20 Miles, so close enough to be a baseline. So I've been testing all over the board. If I have the luxury of time, I will see what a 100% yields on the Madison Supercharger this evening, though, I will have "Great Grandpa" with us, and he gets antsy...

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, Met one of your friends last night. Apparently his kids go to school at the same one my Vinny does :) Small World...

v interesting issue (not charging to 100%). I've never seen that on my car.

BTW, I'm currently getting 198mi RR on a complete range charge (I went to Vegas). I also observed that my battery puts out ~56kwh driving from full to empty (I started driving right after a range charge from Vegas to Barstow). The missing 4 kWh is a combination of battery reserve and battery degradation. I have 36k miles on ODO.

v interesting issue (not charging to 100%). I've never seen that on my car.

BTW, I'm currently getting 198mi RR on a complete range charge (I went to Vegas). I also observed that my battery puts out ~56kwh driving from full to empty (I started driving right after a range charge from Vegas to Barstow). The missing 4 kWh is a combination of battery reserve and battery degradation. I have 36k miles on ODO.
Agreed. I will hit 37,000 this weekend, but it will be 3k on the new pack. Ill be driving it on a 7,500 mile trip to cali end of September, so trying to make sure alls good now instead of a issue on the road. Although wouldn't mind getting stranded in vegas for a few extra days haha :) I have enough free nights at the flamingo and Caesars (They made my model s's down payment hehe).
In the past, from charge now to 100% id pull down about 63kW (according to the center console). Last weekend it was about 55-56kW.
Didnt get to supercharge tonight, but arrived at Sandrift with 2 rated left, and have er charging with completion about 10 am when I am going to stevens point.(125 miles away). Will report back in the morning.

Interesting ...

Tesla sent my pack back to headquarters for an upgrade of components ... fast forward to Thurs ..About 1 month and the battery is returned and installed.

SC called me and said the pack was showing faults. They put the loaner back in and sent my pack back to Tesla for round two.

Gotta ask yourself why they'd spend the money. Give me the loaner pack and recycle the old pack seems more logical.