Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We'll soon have more batteries than we need

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first impression of V2G is negative since I don't want the utility to degrade my car battery but then I realized that this is a matter of perspective. A market wherein I buy a 40 kWh EV and the local utility adds e.g. 25 kWh to my car sounds interesting. I get to use the extra 25 kWh for those few days a year when I want them, and the utility saves on infrastructure, inverter, siting and engineering costs. Effectively, the cost of storage drops to ~ marginal pack cost.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
significant cost savings could occur by retrofitting the pressure vessels, plumbing, valves and other corroded parts every 50 years or so

No cost savings to be had. Ontario has a fleet of Nuclear plants that are being refurbished. The total for 8GW of capacity is $20B with expected extension of 30 years. The cost increase is 50% greater $/kWh for the “new” power production compared to the existing 30 year plants.

No cost savings to be had. Ontario has a fleet of Nuclear plants that are being refurbished. The total for 8GW of capacity is $20B with expected extension of 30 years.
I am not a fan of nuclear but my arithmetic works out to ~ 1.1 pennies per kWh at 100% capacity factor.

And remember, you get to kick the cost of decommissioning down the road.

• Informative
Reactions: nwdiver and mspohr
I am not a fan of nuclear but my arithmetic works out to ~ 1.1 pennies per kWh at 100% capacity factor.

That would be the cost of the refurbishment. O&M runs ~$0.02/kWh. Existing nuclear is pretty cheap and most of it is worth keeping around so long as the capacity factors can be maintained and that generally runs at ~90% due to refueling outages.

Reactions: mspohr

Ontario doesn’t have $20B sitting in the bank. We’re deeply in debt as a province and need to borrow the money to pay for this.

Half of the nuclear power is privately owned (we sold it off) so the price increase and debt payments need to cover this refurb. This is 60% of our power, with 3c/kWh the add-on cost above the previous 6c/kWh to now 9c. That’s before transmission and local utility get their share.

New wind was cheaper.

Plus there is 5c/kWh for payment on top of the nuclear cost to cover the gas plant build out that was needed to backup the nukes for the 7 year refurb.

Ontario subsidizes electricity costs out of income tax payments. Incredibly this was done by borrowing money.
We’re screwed by big private public partnerships since selling off our formerly public owned assets over the past three governments.

New wind was cheaper.

They're building a ~160MW wind farm near my house for $150M. Beginning to end construction is expected to take <1 year. <$1/w and <1yr to build. Even in an absolutely perfect world those are numbers that nuclear could never even dream of achieving; <$1/w! That's crazy! Not as crazy as $15/w for new nuclear... but it's a good crazy :)