Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well there’s a thing, sudden unintended acceleration just happened to me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was driving forward into a parking space, on the flat, feathering the accelerator to creep forward (I use hold mode). As I lifted my foot *off* of the accelerator the car lurched forward.

I’ve seen discussions about similar problems. I am glad this is being respectfully discussed!

Question for Marc, isn’t this a known issue? I’ve seen news articles about it.

• Disagree
Reactions: deonb
Something similar has happened to me. In my neighborhood,as i come to a stop sign i hit a pothole. Lifting my foot off the pedal knowing the regen will slow me down to a stop, the regen didnt kick in and feels like the car accelerated.
Ive had the same thing happen on my old prius a few times. I hit a pothole and the regen kicks off.

After hold mode came out, my car moved uphill (forwards) in reverse gear with accelerator depressed, so that would be extreme unintended acceleration as it's negative to the selected acceleration. This was repeatable because the manoeuvre I use to drive down my driveway and then reverse into the garage caused it to happen repeatedly. Car would begin to slow uphill with whatever logic hold mode uses, and if you selected reverse before it came to a complete stop, it would hence forth move FORWARD with reverse selected with accelerator input until you touched the brake pedal. I'd call that unintended acceleration

Tesla is not infallible in technology implementation...I tend to chalk most of these things up to driver error, but my experience teaches me that fringe cases and behaviours can certainly cause unintended acceleration.

I was pushed an update that fixed this issue as soon as I filed a bug report about it, so I'd call that acknowledgement of the problem.

Last edited:
Waiting to hear someone who hits the wall trying to recreate an “unintended acceleration” scenario so they can post their genius on TMC.

now I’m not saying it didn’t happen. But 99.9% of the cases of unintended acceleration turn out to be caused by driver doing something they didn’t intend. By far most popular is hitting accelerator rather than brake, or accidentally catching some accelerator while braking. On a Tesla, you could do it by inadvertently bumping stalk with your knuckle and turning on TACC.

having Tesla pull logs is the way to go if you want definitive answers. But logs typically last only a couple of weeks. I’ve had Tesla diagnose stuff this way before, and they asked me to record exact time/day of anomoly(s) and email to my service advisor. Of course, I’ve had great service advisors with whom I am on first name basis. I gather from TMC that not everyone has that relationship. I’d suggest stop by center if possible and ask for help mask to mask from 6’. Don’t try to do by phone or app. Go old school. Do people still say that? I guess they literally don’t anymore!

If the car thinks the wheels are slipping, the ABS controller takes over. And the first thing the ABS controller does is disable regeneration. If you're making a low speed turn, and the car appears to surge forward it's not unintentional acceleration. It's Regen being cut out.
This won't happen at parking speeds unless there's snow or ice on the road. I've been on a skid pan several times with model 3s and the ABS behaviour is virtually the same as any other modern car. I've never had any unexpected acceleration in any scenario on road, track or skid pan.

This won't happen at parking speeds unless there's snow or ice on the road. I've been on a skid pan several times with model 3s and the ABS behaviour is virtually the same as any other modern car. I've never had any unexpected acceleration in any scenario on road, track or skid pan.

I think his theory is a good plausible theory.
You say this can’t happen at parking speeds.
Are you sure of that. ?

We’re talking about something like (a guess) 1 in hundreds of thousands of cars right. Sounds plausible to me under the right conditions. Who knows.

I think his theory is a good plausible theory.
You say this can’t happen at parking speeds.
Are you sure of that. ?

We’re talking about something like (a guess) 1 in hundreds of thousands of cars right. Sounds plausible to me under the right conditions. Who knows.
ABS operating at <5mph on a dry or wet road? How are the tyres slipping at that low a speed under braking/regen?
No, there are plenty of theories trying to explain what the OP experienced, but the reality is the car didn't do anything by itself.
The only way to explain any of these so called unintended accelerations is clear video evidence or publish Tesla's report on the log.

ABS operating at <5mph on a dry or wet road? How are the tyres slipping at that low a speed under braking/regen?
No, there are plenty of theories trying to explain what the OP experienced, but the reality is the car didn't do anything by itself.
The only way to explain any of these so called unintended accelerations is clear video evidence or publish Tesla's report on the log.

I will agree, the only way to confirm is to use Tesla’s logs of what the car did, and what inputs were carried out, or not carried out by the driver.
Im not sure any video logs will help at all. Video can’t show inputs, feet, or what the car did, or didn’t do.
It can only show a hit. Which answers very few questions.
If someone claims unintended acceleration, take steps to report it and find out what the logs say.
Otherwise, there is no way any conversations surrounding the incident will come to any resolution.

I will agree, the only way to confirm is to use Tesla’s logs of what the car did, and what inputs were carried out, or not carried out by the driver.
Im not sure any video logs will help at all. Video can’t show inputs, feet, or what the car did, or didn’t do.
It can only show a hit. Which answers very few questions.
I'm referring to video recording I described earlier - a GoPro or similar. If you suction mount one overhead you can get a very good angle to show all driver inputs and the display. That tells you everything you need to know to find out what's happening. I use video like this a lot with driver training to demonstrate techniques and how inputs affect how the car behaves. If someone honestly believes their Tesla is regularly doing odd things as some on here say, this can be a conclusive way to explain what's going on.

I was doing some testing in my Model 3 a while back and at one point it reversed when I was pretty sure I had put it in drive. I was recording with one of my cameras at the time and sure enough when I reviewed the footage I could see I hadn't moved the stalk far enough to put it into D, so it was 100% down to me. It can happen to anyone. You can't always rely on your memory to recall events exactly as they happened.

I happen to agree with some Model 3 owners who say they wish the right control stalk didn't control so many things. I think it's way too easy to accidentally engage TACC or put the car into N without realising, or get R and D wrong, as I did. Some sort of configurable lockout functionality would be useful I think. I think it would lead to a lot less of these unintentional accelerations reported.

It's not just newer cars. One of my cars is a late 2016 X and I have noticed that at one point in the last 3-4 months a firmware update now allows me to set the lower limit to just 5 miles an hour. Maybe it is limited to specific areas, I have not asked about that. I only tried it in my neighborhood.

I believe it only does it when it’s locked into a car in front. But I’ve had the car lock on things I don’t think should be locked (like cars across an intersection) and If I engage TACC then they disappear the car takes off.

I’d prefer a much higher minimum speed to engage TACC/AutoSteer.

There is also another strange case I have experienced, but I haven't tried it in recent firmware versions:
- Set TACC while driving
- Accelerate with the go pedal (keeping TACC engaged) above the set speed
- Slowly reduce pressure on the go pedal - do NOT fully release the pedal. The speed will go below the TACC set speed.
- Release the pedal. The speed will then go back up to TACC speed.

Again, I haven't messed with this for quite a while and above is from memory.

This happened to me a few times in the last week at very low speed pulling into a parking spot and regen didnt engage. It very much felt like unintended acceleration but since this happened to me previously, I was not alarmed and stopped the car with the brake pedal.

• Informative
Reactions: TestPilot
Status
Not open for further replies.