Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well there’s a thing, sudden unintended acceleration just happened to me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my experience with unintended acceleration -

- model 3
- hold mode
- I was parking on the side of the road
- slight bump coming off the pavement into the grass/dirt

the bump caused my foot to go down on the go pedal just a touch and the car moved forward faster than I expected.

my first reaction was to press the go pedal harder. Luckily there was room in front and I pulled my head out of my butt quickly and lifted off the go pedal.

Every other car I’ve recently driven I would have had my foot on the brake at that point. Generally letting the automatic transmission pull the car forward on its own.

This just happened to me today when waiting for a car to back out so I can take the parking spot. While pulling a right into the parking spot, I experienced the car accelerating unintentionally during the turn. Good thing i had my foot on the brake and stopped the car. The parking spot/lot is pretty flat.

This reminds me of a couple experiences I have about the car lurching forward suddenly. I'm sure someone will come along to argue the semantics of what to call it. Unintended, unexpected, forgot it was going to happen or whatever. The situation is that I can be in TACC and doing my typical one pedal driving with another car in front of me. In my case it is not an error of the car. It was doing what it was designed to do and decided to accelerate.

If I am driving behind another car on the 45 mph road that leads to our neighborhood, and the speed limit changes to 15 mph in the zone where I need to turn onto our street, the car slows down as expected because the car in front of me has slowed down. When I make the right turn onto our street, it suddenly surges because it no longer sees the car in front of me as I turn and it thinks the speed limit is higher. I have to hit the brake to slow, and of course it fortunately also disengages TACC. BUT, it is a scary situation. If another car where at that intersection waiting for me to turn, I might hit it.

So I can guess there are other situations where the Tesla will suddenly accelerate unexpectedly, not because of a Tesla problem, but because of situations like mine where the driver forgets it is in TACC mode (or doesn't expect it to accelerate in a right turn) and a similar maneuver is needed. I wish TACC wouldn't accelerate under the situation of making a sharp turn at very slow speed, especially since it knows I have my signal light on, about to turn, and the GPS knows the turn will be sharp. Just to be a safety precaution.

So my experience with unintended acceleration -

- model 3
- hold mode
- I was parking on the side of the road
- slight bump coming off the pavement into the grass/dirt

the bump caused my foot to go down on the go pedal just a touch and the car moved forward faster than I expected.

my first reaction was to press the go pedal harder. Luckily there was room in front and I pulled my head out of my butt quickly and lifted off the go pedal.

Every other car I’ve recently driven I would have had my foot on the brake at that point. Generally letting the automatic transmission pull the car forward on its own.
I've always been concerned about those situations, whether I might accidentally press the "go" pedal and not the brake, but it seems to me that my foot has no issue feathering the throttle to brake, but when emergency braking is required, it still does the trained behavior of reaching left and hitting the brake.

Maybe it's because I drove a stick for so long, and used engine braking a lot, so I'm used to letting the vehicle slow itself gradually, without hitting the brake. So, when emergency braking situations arise, I have no issues with reaching across and hitting the actual brake.

This just happened to me today when waiting for a car to back out so I can take the parking spot. While pulling a right into the parking spot, I experienced the car accelerating unintentionally during the turn. Good thing i had my foot on the brake and stopped the car. The parking spot/lot is pretty flat.
I've found with our Model S that it's easy to press both pedals at once if my foot is angled wrong. And the car will try to surge ahead even though I'm pressing the brake. So that could happen too.
Happened to me before. Ended up me accidentally hitting the cruise control/AP stalk and the car going to the preset speed.
I have also done this & sometimes it gives me quite a shock. This would be worse on the 3/Y where it just goes to the speed limit + offset unlike the S/X where it will go to your current speed if you push the stalk down.

For Clarity:
You said your foot was on the brake already.
Does that mean you had already pressed the accelerator, and you were already pulling into the parking spot, and you moved your foot to the brake to now come to a stop, and it accelerated ?
Or did you have your foot on the brake, waiting to move your foot to the accelerator to move into the parking spot, and the car accelerated, while your foot was still on the brake. ?
Also, which drive mode do you have set for your car; “Hold”, or “Roll” or “Creep”.
I had already stepped on accelerator to move the car forward, took my foot off accelerator and moved it to brake during the turn. That’s when I felt the unintended acceleration and stepped on brake. I use hold mode.

I had already stepped on accelerator to move the car forward, took my foot off accelerator and moved it to brake during the turn. That’s when I felt the unintended acceleration and stepped on brake. I use hold mode.

If you pressed the brake that would have turned off any TACC or AP- in fact in hold mode it would be slowing down from regen- so it's impossible the car could have accelerated at that point other than either you hitting the accelerator thinking it was the brake, or you hitting the TACC-on lever during turning.

IIRC Jason Hughes has a standing $10,000 bet that nobody can show him a Tesla with logs that say otherwise (he's one of the better known hackers who can pull such logs and check)

Reactions: M109Rider
If you pressed the brake that would have turned off any TACC or AP- in fact in hold mode it would be slowing down from regen- so it's impossible the car could have accelerated at that point other than either you hitting the accelerator thinking it was the brake, or you hitting the TACC-on lever during turning.

IIRC Jason Hughes has a standing $10,000 bet that nobody can show him a Tesla with logs that say otherwise (he's one of the better known hackers who can pull such logs and check)
My foot was definitely on the brake side and stopped the car when it lurched forward. If I was on the accelerator, I would’ve gone over the parking divider and hit the car in front. I don’t recall hitting the gear lever, never had any issues miss hitting the gear lever.

My foot was definitely on the brake side and stopped the car when it lurched forward.

Nope.

The accelerators input is ignored if the brake is engaged.

TACC and AP can not be turned on if your foot is on the brake.

There's literally nothing that can cause acceleration if your foot is on the brake.

(barring an exterior object hitting the car from behind or something)

So you can't have been on the brake pedal when the car accelerated.

But if you think otherwise contact Jason Hughes and tell him you think you qualify for his $10,000 bet.

He's run the logs from dozens of such claims. 100% of them was someone hit the wrong pedal and refused to believe it till shown the logs.

Tesla Hacker Says Unintended Acceleration Is Impossible In Teslas

Reactions: Hank42 and Gasaraki
Nope.

The accelerators input is ignored if the brake is engaged.

TACC and AP can not be turned on if your foot is on the brake.

There's literally nothing that can cause acceleration if your foot is on the brake.

(barring an exterior object hitting the car from behind or something)

So you can't have been on the brake pedal when the car accelerated.

But if you think otherwise contact Jason Hughes and tell him you think you qualify for his $10,000 bet.

He's run the logs from dozens of such claims. 100% of them was someone hit the wrong pedal and refused to believe it till shown the logs.

Tesla Hacker Says Unintended Acceleration Is Impossible In Teslas

I agree with your statement that stepping on brake disable other inputs, it has to be the fail-safe. However, I am stating what I believe happened. As I said, I’ve moved my foot off the accelerator and set it (not stepped) on brake during the turn, felt acceleration, stepped on brake to stop the car. Have I not been on the brake, or on the accelerator, I would’ve went over divider into the car ahead.

If it was "off" the accelerator but not "on" the brake the only 2 ways the car could have moved under it's own power (ie not moving due to gravity or because someone hit/pushed it) are:

1) TACC was engaged at a higher speed than your current speed )and we've had a few folks over the years admit they accidentally turned this on while turning the steering wheel)
or
2) You did something you don't think you did (either had creep on or accidentally touched the accelerator)

There's literally no system in the car that can increase speed at all other than those in that context (and I only say in that context because technically "summon" can increase speed from 0, but that obviously wasn't in use here)

Reactions: M109Rider
As I said, I’ve moved my foot off the accelerator and set it (not stepped) on brake during the turn, felt acceleration, stepped on brake to stop the car. Have I not been on the brake, or on the accelerator, I would’ve went over divider into the car ahead.

Its interesting that so many people claim the same thing happened. Maybe tesla should push an OTA to disable TACC at low speeds if that’s a problem people are having?

Its interesting that so many people claim the same thing happened. Maybe tesla should push an OTA to disable TACC at low speeds if that’s a problem people are having?

I think that is needed for low speed traffic jam use? I've not been brave enough (or in any traffic) to try it but that is the main situation I would want the car to drive in and that is the function I would expect to do it.

Before one of the recent updates the TACC would accelerate to the posted speed. Now that they have changed that to have the option for current speed, disabling it at low speed should not be needed. I thought the car was taking off on me the first time that happened until another more experienced member explained it to me.

Was TACC already on, when you were on "hold" at the light? Hitting the accelerator to get going, doesn't disable TACC, just lets you get going before TACC reacts. So, when you lifted off the throttle, in your turn, TACC continued to accelerate, until you hit the brake.

Reactions: Apone