Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well there’s a thing, sudden unintended acceleration just happened to me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope.

The accelerators input is ignored if the brake is engaged.

There's literally nothing that can cause acceleration if your foot is on the brake.

(barring an exterior object hitting the car from behind or something)

So you can't have been on the brake pedal when the car accelerated.

But if you think otherwise contact Jason Hughes and tell him you think you qualify for his $10,000 bet.

He's run the logs from dozens of such claims. 100% of them was someone hit the wrong pedal and refused to believe it till shown the logs.

Tesla Hacker Says Unintended Acceleration Is Impossible In Teslas
Have you tried this in your car? I did over the weekend. I was stopped and with my left foot on the brake, I then stepped on the accelerator & the car would move forward as the electric motors overpowered the brake pads. I then started rolling slowly along by gently pressing the accelerator. I then stepped on the brake and the car stopped, without releasing either pedal I applied more pressure to the accelerator & again the electric motors overpowered the brake pads.

Have you tried this in your car? I did over the weekend. I was stopped and with my left foot on the brake, I then stepped on the accelerator & the car would move forward as the electric motors overpowered the brake pads. I then started rolling slowly along by gently pressing the accelerator. I then stepped on the brake and the car stopped, without releasing either pedal I applied more pressure to the accelerator & again the electric motors overpowered the brake pads.

By reduced, it means really reduced. Like creep power or less.

IMG_5373.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier

If what you describe actually happened your car is broken and you should open a service ticket immediately.

Tesla: Claims of Unintended Acceleration Are 'Completely False' - ExtremeTech

Tesla said:
The accelerator uses two independent sensors to determine position, and the system defaults to cut motor torque in the event of an error. The system also cuts power to the motor if it detects both the accelerator and brake being pressed at the same time.

That isn't unique to Tesla either- virtually every modern car cuts power if the brake is also pressed, and has been doing so for longer than Tesla has been making cars.

Preventing power cut when left foot braking

That's a 2006 discussion of someone wanting to know how to DISABLE this safety feature on their VW at the track for example.

Or from 2009
How To Deal With Unintended Acceleration

This was before Toyota added that feature (they since have)- but it mentions BMW, Chrysler, Nissan/Infiniti, Porsche, and Volkswagen/Audi all offering that feature.

Reactions: Gasaraki
So I know what responses this is going to get, because I have made the same responses. I’m going to send my experience as follows to Tesla and try to reproduce in a safe environment.

I was driving forward into a parking space, on the flat, feathering the accelerator to creep forward (I use hold mode). As I lifted my foot *off* of the accelerator the car lurched forward. Luckily I was quick on the brakes and I didn’t crash into anything. Chill mode might also have saved my front bumper...

Like I say, I firmly expect to receive a load of responses calling BS, but I’m just reporting my experience. It feels as though the car got confused by low speed where the “hold” action kicks in and the feathering of the pedal. It was enough for my wife to have a go at me about it.
The same thing happened to me (Word by word) yesterday in my 2021 Model Y. So I believe you. I was not so lucky. Caused damage to the car, after it plunged 20 feet in a ditch. The Insurance estimate awaited. No physical injury to me or the passenger.

The same thing happened to me (Word by word) yesterday in my 2021 Model Y. So I believe you. I was not so lucky. Caused damage to the car, after it plunged 20 feet in a ditch. The Insurance estimate awaited. No physical injury to me or the passenger.

100% you hit the wrong pedal (or potentially possible but far less likely- you engaged TACC without realizing it.)

if you think otherwise contact Jason Hughes and take him up on his $10,000 bet.

100% you hit the wrong pedal (or potentially possible but far less likely- you engaged TACC without realizing it.)

if you think otherwise contact Jason Hughes and take him up on his $10,000 bet.

I don't believe this guy at all. Claims most modern cars can't have gas and brake at the same time. Quite a bit of youtube videos with brand new cars doing burnouts. I guess they all have line-locks.

You are 100% wrong. I was there, you were not. My foot was nowhere near either of the pedals.

Then you should take him up on his $10,000 bet.

You won't, because you'd lose.

Same as everyone else SURE they did nothing wrong then the logs show they did.

I don't believe this guy at all. Claims most modern cars can't have gas and brake at the same time. Quite a bit of youtube videos with brand new cars doing burnouts. I guess they all have line-locks.

Some actually do... others have some special track or launch mode you can put them in to do burnouts.

In normal use though in modern cars the brake being engaged turns off the throttle generally, you don't have to believe "this guy" the companies that make the cars say so- it's usually mentioned explicitly in the car manuals.

And even when that wasn't true, brakes beat accelerator if you mashed both- multiple car mags tested this back when the Toyota unintended acceleration business came up...

The Unintended Acceleration Test - Motor Trend

That's from 2010.

Even a decade ago they mention 2 brands of car (Toyota and Hyundai) had already programmed them to cut ALL accelerator input if the brake was engaged. That's now standard on basically all new cars and has been for years.

And for the ones that didn't do it 10 years ago, the car still stopped by slamming the brakes, even when ALSO holding wide open throttle... on Hyundai, Nissan, Subaru, and Toyota cars it stopped in exactly the same distance as no throttle being applied.

In a Honda is stopping a couple feet longer with WOT than not. In Ford and Chevy it stopped a couple dozen feet longer but still stopped.

"unintended acceleration" in a modern car is user error.

100 percent of the time

Reactions: Phlier and jbadger
Even a decade ago they mention 2 brands of car (Toyota and Hyundai) had already programmed them to cut ALL accelerator input if the brake was engaged. That's now standard on basically all new cars and has been for years.
This is (in part) how I knew for a fact that all those "runaway Prius" events with folks saying "I was standing on the brake and it just kept going" were utter horse-puckey: Firstly the manual stated that depressing the brake and gas simultaneously was a way to force the car to charge the battery (with a caution of "don't release the brake first when doing this you dummy"), and secondly after the first time this was reported to have been happened all anyone would have needed to do is go into their car, turn it on, and observe that the car doesn't move when both pedals were depressed. The engine would rev slightly and power would go to the battery.

Many modern cars are "drive-by-wire" and have been for quite some time, and this is without even getting into how cars are engineered to fail-safe in this respect.

Reactions: Phlier
You are 100% wrong. I was there, you were not. My foot was nowhere near either of the pedals.
You need to read his post completely. If your foot didn't hit the pedal, you might have activated TACC by accident. That is activated by the stalk. Sometimes people hit the right stalk instead of the left stalk, and activate TACC, when they want to turn on their right turn signal.

We really believe computers are 100% reliable?

The "computer" isn't the issue.

There are two, totally independent, measures of throttle input.

Unless both are positive and agree with each other the car does not move.

And even if all THAT happens, if the brake is pressed, the car ignores the throttle input entirely.

Unintended acceleration in a modern car doesn't require "one computer glitch"

It requires multiple failures of different, redundant, systems, to all happen at the exact same time and each to happen in a very specific way.

Even if you could - it has already been proven you can hack a car and cause unintended acceleration[. It is NOT always 100% user error.

This is factually untrue (or at best misleading)- the only example of unintended acceleration in this regard I'm aware of was an older Chrysler that was only "hacked" by physically plugging in a laptop to spoon canbus commands.

It doesn't just "happen" on an untouched car- and was not done remotely (and was on a MUCH less complex and less secure computer system too)

(I think someone did this with a toyota as well as some point- but the hack was even more crude and again required physically altering the vehicle-something they didn't initially disclose when reported but later admitted)

Last edited:
I have my car set to Creep, mainly as I have to park daily into a tight garage spot. It is so much easier to inch into tight spots when controlling the car with the brake pedal.
How can people not be able to control the accelerator in their own car.

I have a Performance 3. I can work the pedal to move the car ridiculously slowly without having to put the car in creep.

I suggest that, if you can't, a PRIUS might be a better option for you.

People are having some problems with TACC being activated before they arrive into the problem area. If TACC is on and your going 45mph and then you turn in to your 25mph street and forget that TACC was engaged earlier of course the car will drive overspeed as soon as it can. That is what needs fixed.

People are having some problems with TACC being activated before they arrive into the problem area. If TACC is on and your going 45mph and then you turn in to your 25mph street and forget that TACC was engaged earlier of course the car will drive overspeed as soon as it can. That is what needs fixed.

I believe the more recent firmware versions have an option to set the engagement speed for TACC.

Status
Not open for further replies.