Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well there’s a thing, sudden unintended acceleration just happened to me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For everyone convinced their Tesla does unexpected things regularly, I recommend investing in a GoPro or dashcam and mounting it so it takes in your driver inputs and the car's display. Power it from the USB port and put it into loop recording mode so that every time you drive your car it's recording you and the screen the whole time.

Then you can post up your video here when the Tesla decides to do something wacky and we'll all be able to analyse what happened.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say noone can post a video showing something which can't be explained by driver inputs. Go on, prove me wrong. ;)

The only time I’ve experienced unintended acceleration is when I forgot I had cruise set and was regen’ing down for a stop light. Once I reached my set cruise speed, ~20 mph, whoosh. Scary, but the car did exactly what i told it to.

it is my understanding that the new cars can set cruise speed even lower. I think my lower limit is 18 mph.

Reactions: SO16 and brur
I’ve got a dollar on bumping the drive/autopilot stalk unintentionally and initiating TACC. When tooling around the cruise will set at 18 MPH or so and there’s no confirmation chime for cruise.

I did this. I thought my model 3 unintentionally accelerated in my driveway for a second but I had somehow turned on cruise control.

Also you can disengage hold mode by tapping the brake when stopped. The car rolls so easy it feels like it's accelerating when it happens. I did this one in my driveway also and rolled backwards a few feet.

It's not good that the car does this. What other car goes into neutral sometimes when you tap the brakes? It's a bad idea they should change it. Cruise control should have a higher min speed to activate

For everyone convinced their Tesla does unexpected things regularly, I recommend investing in a GoPro or dashcam and mounting it so it takes in your driver inputs and the car's display. Power it from the USB port and put it into loop recording mode so that every time you drive your car it's recording you and the screen the whole time.

Then you can post up your video here when the Tesla decides to do something wacky and we'll all be able to analyse what happened.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say noone can post a video showing something which can't be explained by driver inputs. Go on, prove me wrong. ;)
I am going to try to do this and reproduce the problem, I honestly don’t expect you guys to go on the word of a random stranger.

All I can tell you is that I know what *I* did, and what happened as a result, the reason I post about it is just to see if there is anything new and useful to add to the stories that up until today I had completely dismissed as driver error.

Also you can disengage hold mode by tapping the brake when stopped. The car rolls so easy it feels like it's accelerating when it happens. I did this one in my driveway also and rolled backwards a few feet.

It's not good that the car does this. What other car goes into neutral sometimes when you tap the brakes? It's a bad idea they should change it. Cruise control should have a higher min speed to activate

That's not accurate. Hold disengages (the H disappears and the brakes are released) when you tap the brake in hold mode, but the car doesn't move because the motor holds it.
If you tap the brake in creep or roll mode with the car in D or R then you are correct, it disengages the brake and the car could move.

Ok, so this is weird. Perhaps someone can tell me if my theory is BS...

My alarm just went off for no reason at all after an hour not being in the car, I verified sentry mode footage, the camera triggered but with no reason. I park on a hill, tilt alarm is on...

So... The car clearly has a tilt sensor... And the alarm just went of for no reason...

The only reason I can see the car deciding to accelerate when I lift off the pedal is if it incorrectly thinks it's on an uphill and needs to apply forward force to prevent the car rolling back.

Is the same tilt sensor involved in this perhaps?

• Informative
Reactions: Saturday and Pkmmte
I've had a definite unintended acceleration - different circumstances entirely.

In motorway roadworks at 50mph with TACC and autosteer activated, traffic on both sides but clear in front, somebody came up behind me, tailgating, to maybe within 10 foot of the car which then sped up, it got to 55mph before i disengaged cruise control and it began to slow as you would expect.

Foot clearly off the pedal the whole time, and no chance I flicked the thumbwheel as I rest both hands at the bottom of the wheel with autosteer on.

I’ve got a dollar on bumping the drive/autopilot stalk unintentionally and initiating TACC. When tooling around the cruise will set at 18 MPH or so and there’s no confirmation chime for cruise.
In my case it's done this multiple times. Not the acceleration part but the no Regen part. It's not accidently bumping anything. Definitely a system bug/issue but no idea what triggers it as I can't duplicate it on demand

My alarm just went off for no reason at all after an hour not being in the car, I verified sentry mode footage, the camera triggered but with no reason. I park on a hill, tilt alarm is on...

So... The car clearly has a tilt sensor... And the alarm just went of for no reason...

The only reason I can see the car deciding to accelerate when I lift off the pedal is if it incorrectly thinks it's on an uphill and needs to apply forward force to prevent the car rolling back.

I like the theory. It wouldn't be the first time sensors went weird on the car (they've been replaced when AutoPilot was doing weird things and fixed it, but that also replaces a bunch of other things).

If that's the case, they must not have the redundancy they do for some other systems.

I've been really skeptical about every report I've seen about it, but if I hadn't been quick on the brakes, I'd have crashed into the big sign displaying the prices at the local fuel station, and then I *would* have been one of those news stories.

And because I *was* feathering the accelerator, I bet the public response would be that the logs show that the accelerator was being pressed when the acceleration happened...
Oh, there is your problem.... Tesla saw the gas sign and hates it :rolleyes:

Actually, I don't still trust the car (or myself) having the sudden fabulous acceleration ability in such situations which is why I have gotten used to using Creep mode. Thus, on the flat, I just let it roll while my foot is near the brake. I realized that many Tesla drivers have more guts than I do :D

it is my understanding that the new cars can set cruise speed even lower. I think my lower limit is 18 mph.
It's not just newer cars. One of my cars is a late 2016 X and I have noticed that at one point in the last 3-4 months a firmware update now allows me to set the lower limit to just 5 miles an hour. Maybe it is limited to specific areas, I have not asked about that. I only tried it in my neighborhood.

There were multiple reports of hold mode applying the wrong acceleration on hills when it first came out.

That's not accurate. Hold disengages (the H disappears and the brakes are released) when you tap the brake in hold mode, but the car doesn't move because the motor holds it.
If you tap the brake in creep or roll mode with the car in D or R then you are correct, it disengages the brake and the car could move.

You're right. I just went in my car and messed around on my driveway to figure out why I end up rolling. It's the car going into nuetral. If you hit the brake and don't push the stalk down hard enough you end up in neutral and don't realize it. I thought it was hold disengaged. This car rolls so easy in neutral it feels like I am driving out of the sloped driveway.