Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well there’s a thing, sudden unintended acceleration just happened to me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe it only does it when it’s locked into a car in front. But I’ve had the car lock on things I don’t think should be locked (like cars across an intersection) and If I engage TACC then they disappear the car takes off.
If you are referring to my comment about our being able to set a TACC of 5 mph, then not it is not because there is a car in front or other objects on the road. Actually no cars are allowed to be parked on the road in this area, so nothing for the car to. I can get it to do that anywhere in the neighborhood.

I've had a few times where I'm at a stop behind someone and then I'll very lightly feather the accelerator (in Hold mode), and at these very very low speeds, the car sometimes gets caught at the threshold where hold kicks in, and the car lurches a bit, kinda like when someone doesn't have good command of a clutch, but nowhere near as lurchy. Wondering if this is what the OP felt.

• Informative
Reactions: TestPilot
ABS operating at <5mph on a dry or wet road? How are the tyres slipping at that low a speed under braking/regen?
No, there are plenty of theories trying to explain what the OP experienced, but the reality is the car didn't do anything by itself.
The only way to explain any of these so called unintended accelerations is clear video evidence or publish Tesla's report on the log.
It's actually more likely to be the traction control system than the ABS system. There was a paper posted from a scientist who posits that a potential cause of unintended acceleration is a failure in one of the redundant brake switch sensors. I doubt that's what happened here, but the paper did illuminate how the ABS/Traction Control systems have total control over regenerative braking and generally disable It when they sense trouble.

This happened to me a few times in the last week at very low speed pulling into a parking spot and regen didnt engage. It very much felt like unintended acceleration but since this happened to me previously, I was not alarmed and stopped the car with the brake pedal.
Please take your car to the closest service center (or have a ranger come out) and check your brake pedal. This sounds EXACTLY like the brake switch failure mode.

If you are referring to my comment about our being able to set a TACC of 5 mph, then not it is not because there is a car in front or other objects on the road. Actually no cars are allowed to be parked on the road in this area, so nothing for the car to. I can get it to do that anywhere in the neighborhood.
Yup. But I just took my wife’s 3 out and I agree with you. More often than not, TACC will engage.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Sudden Unexpected Acceleration today

Check that post from Jason Hughes (wk057)

He offers a $10,000 bet nobody can show him a Tesla with unintended acceleration (he's got the equipment to pull the logs and will do so and decode them with you standing there watching)

If you're right he'll not only give you the 10k he'll submit an affidavit of his findings and testify as an expert witness in any litigation you might file.

So far he's 17 for 17 debunking claims of unintended acceleration (mostly for insurance companies)

Sudden Unexpected Acceleration today

Check that post from Jason Hughes (wk057)

He offers a $10,000 bet nobody can show him a Tesla with unintended acceleration (he's got the equipment to pull the logs and will do so and decode them with you standing there watching)

If you're right he'll not only give you the 10k he'll submit an affidavit of his findings and testify as an expert witness in any litigation you might file.

So far he's 17 for 17 debunking claims of unintended acceleration (mostly for insurance companies)
What if log of accelerator pedal position is not always related to physical pedal position? Car accelerating while on AP is using physical actuator or electronic/MCU/whatever logic to accelerate? What do logs show when AP is on? Maybe the accelerator pedal position is mimicked in the logs? After all this is developed by humans and prone to error. Never ever discard a possibility of error.

I certainly want all cases of SUA to be user error, but keeping an open mind. When it comes to real life testing, as opposed to virtual testing there is always the case of certain conditions that were never accounted for even theoretically.

I've had some time to play about trying to reproduce this, and I can reliably get the regen to not kick in for maybe half a second after lifting my foot off, but have not been able to reproduce a forward lurch.

I've logged the incident with Tesla with a time-stamp. Will be interested to hear what they say the logs say. For now, I'm just being aware of it, and always ready to go for the brakes. Not sure there's much else I can do at this point.

I've had some time to play about trying to reproduce this, and I can reliably get the regen to not kick in for maybe half a second after lifting my foot off, but have not been able to reproduce a forward lurch.

I've logged the incident with Tesla with a time-stamp. Will be interested to hear what they say the logs say. For now, I'm just being aware of it, and always ready to go for the brakes. Not sure there's much else I can do at this point.
What did Tesla have to say about it?

This just happened to me today when waiting for a car to back out so I can take the parking spot. While pulling a right into the parking spot, I experienced the car accelerating unintentionally during the turn. Good thing i had my foot on the brake and stopped the car. The parking spot/lot is pretty flat.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
This just happened to me today when waiting for a car to back out so I can take the parking spot. While pulling a right into the parking spot, I experienced the car accelerating unintentionally during the turn. Good thing i had my foot on the brake and stopped the car. The parking spot/lot is pretty flat.

Happened to me before. Ended up me accidentally hitting the cruise control/AP stalk and the car going to the preset speed.

For Clarity:
You said your foot was on the brake already.
Does that mean you had already pressed the accelerator, and you were already pulling into the parking spot, and you moved your foot to the brake to now come to a stop, and it accelerated ?
Or did you have your foot on the brake, waiting to move your foot to the accelerator to move into the parking spot, and the car accelerated, while your foot was still on the brake. ?
Also, which drive mode do you have set for your car; “Hold”, or “Roll” or “Creep”.

For Clarity:
You said your foot was on the brake already.
Does that mean you had already pressed the accelerator, and you were already pulling into the parking spot, and you moved your foot to the brake to now come to a stop, and it accelerated ?
Or did you have your foot on the brake, waiting to move your foot to the accelerator to move into the parking spot, and the car accelerated, while your foot was still on the brake. ?
Also, which drive mode do you have set for your car; “Hold”, or “Roll” or “Creep”.
99.9% of “unintended accelerants” will answer these questions wrong because either: they can’t remember, they remember wrong, or they refuse to admit error.

Status
Not open for further replies.