Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well there’s a thing, sudden unintended acceleration just happened to me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People are having some problems with TACC being activated before they arrive into the problem area. If TACC is on and your going 45mph and then you turn in to your 25mph street and forget that TACC was engaged earlier of course the car will drive overspeed as soon as it can. That is what needs fixed.
But wouldn't that apply to every vehicle that uses some variant of adaptive cruise? Did reports of unintended accel increase when adaptive cruise features became available with other vehicles?

We really believe computers are 100% reliable? Even if you could - it has already been proven you can hack a car and cause unintended acceleration. It is NOT always 100% user error. To think otherwise is pure ignorance and not worth even discussing further with you.

The braking system is redundant. The computer doesn't accept throttle inputs AND there is a mechanical system. Since Tesla doesn't have a blended system, the mechanical brakes function even if the electronics were all messed.

related story

U.S. finds no defect in review of 662,000 Tesla vehicles

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said it would not grant a petition seeking a formal review of 662,000 Tesla vehicles for claims of sudden unintended acceleration.

The agency said its review of the December 2019 petition into Tesla Model S, Model X, and Model 3 vehicles found the incidents cited “were caused by pedal misapplication. NHTSA found no evidence of fault in the accelerator pedal assemblies, motor control systems, or brake systems that contributed to the cited incidents.”

It's user error.

Every. Single. Time.

So NHTSA has finished their review of the SUA Defect Petition and have rejected it, finding after a review of the data, that as expected, it is pedal misapplication:

After reviewing the available data, ODI has not identified evidence that would support opening a defect investigation into SUA in the subject vehicles. In every instance in which event data was available for review by ODI, the evidence shows that SUA crashes in the complaints cited by the petitioner have been caused by pedal misapplication. There is no evidence of any fault in the accelerator pedal assemblies, motor control systems, or brake systems that has contributed to any of the cited incidents. There is no evidence of a design factor contributing to increased likelihood of pedal misapplication. The theory provided of a potential electronic cause of SUA in the subject vehicles is based upon inaccurate assumptions about system design and log data.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2020/INCLA-DP20001-6158.PDF

Reactions: AmokTime
And with 2021 cars with no 'low' regen option, the car is pretty much a one-pedal golf kart now, so once people get used to not having to use a brake pedal, it'll be much harder to press the 'gas' pedal when braking means releasing it. I also agree it's 100% user error, whether they admit it or not. The telemetry doesn't lie.

I don't care if it's not how the car is "intended" to be driven and that it puts me in the minority of drivers--this is why I have the car in Creep and do not use Hold or Roll. Giving up one-pedal driving and the little extra efficiency is worth the trade off. I have a tight garage opening that I have to enter at a 90 degree angle and for me it's much safer and easier to feather the brake pedal than the accelerator when parking. If I do have a SUA event, I'm sure it'll be because my foot inadvertently slipped than the car lurching forward on its own.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
For those that can't master good throttle control, the 'creep' option is a good alternative for those situations :). I can make the car move an inch with the throttle (and in regular mode, not 'chill'), so it can be done that way; it's just a matter of getting used to it. It's good that Tesla left that option.

I'm well-aware that the car responds to the lightest touch and people can maneuver their cars in the tightest of spots without being in Creep. I can do it too. According to informal polls here, something like 75% of people use Hold, so clearly it is the favored option.

What I recognize is that I'm not infallible. I'm just trying to avoid the chance that one day, no matter how many times I have performed the same action and how good I think I am at it, there could be an inadvertent press of the accelerator that leads unnecessary damage to my car and/or my house, or god-forbid, a person. That's not worth the benefits in my opinion, which is why I'm in the minority and use Creep. I'm not trying to convince anyone that they should switch, just giving my reasoning for why I prefer it.

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
To be fair to OP and others responding, they have not have their logs examined yet to determine the cause. For example it could be other causes than pedal misapplication, sometimes it's not unintended acceleration, but unintended non-deceleration (expecting car to slow down but it doesn't), which feels similar (car feels like it is lurching forward), but could involve other elements (like TC, ABS, regen interacting). Example here on the Prius forums discussing this:
Lurchingforward on braking over bump

However, for instances of pedal misapplication, it is true most people that do that are 100% sure they did not.

Reactions: KenC
No doubt it takes some time to reprogram the brain and foot to feather the throttle.
To be fair to OP and others responding, they have not have their logs examined yet to determine the cause. For example it could be other causes than pedal misapplication, sometimes it's not unintended acceleration, but unintended non-deceleration (expecting car to slow down but it doesn't), which feels similar (car feels like it is lurching forward), but could involve other elements (like TC, ABS, regen interacting). Example here on the Prius forums discussing this:
Lurchingforward on braking over bump

However, for instances of pedal misapplication, it is true most people that do that are 100% sure they did not.
Yeah, that sensation or the car speeding up was a common complaint about the Volt's blended brakes, when you transitioned from the blended to friction. There's a transitory moment when you don't get regen, and the car seems to speed up, when actually it's just your perception of less deceleration.

People are having some problems with TACC being activated before they arrive into the problem area. If TACC is on and your going 45mph and then you turn in to your 25mph street and forget that TACC was engaged earlier of course the car will drive overspeed as soon as it can. That is what needs fixed.
YES! and I am one of them, After this happened to me a couple times, I stopped using it. It's a dumb design. I couldn't believe it was trying to speed up to over 35 mph while I was doing a TIGHT right turn into our neighborhood and almost hit the sidewalk.

• Informative
Being one, I still agree.

My thought is that, hopefully, when he made his appointment, Tesla did a log pull remotely and can check again that day. Not sure if that can be done but I would think so.

what I would assume happened is that Tesla reviewed the logs and instantly observed what happened. They told the customer what actually happened, then the customer refused to accept fault, and filed a complaint thinking that Tesla lied to them for some reason.

YES! and I am one of them, After this happened to me a couple times, I stopped using it. It's a dumb design. I couldn't believe it was trying to speed up to over 35 mph while I was doing a TIGHT right turn into our neighborhood and almost hit the sidewalk.

As mentioned already- this is already fixed

You can set TACC to put the set speed at whatever speed you're going when you turn it on, rather than what it thinks the current speed limit is.

This change came last last year sometime in an update.

Reactions: Gasaraki
If I do have a SUA event, I'm sure it'll be because my foot inadvertently slipped than the car lurching forward on its own.

I have the opposite problem. I’ve gotten completely spoiled by one-pedal driving. Anytime I have to drive a gas car, I need to be consciously applying the brakes. Thankfully, decades of muscle memory kick in but my kid’s going to grow up driving nothing but EVs. He won’t have that muscle memory to fall back on. Hopefully by then, rental fleets will have purged the gas cars.

And yes ....

3A062271-AD5A-449C-BBF2-0543F01CD116.jpeg

• Funny
I have the opposite problem. I’ve gotten completely spoiled by one-pedal driving. Anytime I have to drive a gas car, I need to be consciously applying the brakes. Thankfully, decades of muscle memory kick in but my kid’s going to grow up driving nothing but EVs. He won’t have that muscle memory to fall back on. Hopefully by then, rental fleets will have purged the gas cars.

Yep, even without pure one-pedal driving, I get that feeling when driving an ICE car that it's running away from me unless I'm riding the brake.

And yes ....

View attachment 625954
Yep. The weird thing is my younger bro, who lives nearby, always asks me to help him put in his boat; essentially, he wants me to drive his SUV to trailer his boat to the boat ramp, since he's not good at towing or backing up a trailer, or in this case a boat. He doesn't realize that I've been one-pedal driving for a couple years now, and it's totally weird for me to have to drive his SUV with boat!

When my Cybertruck Triple comes, it'll be back to normal for me, but until then, I have to constantly remind myself to brake. It'd be far easier if it were a manual, then I could use engine braking like I used to do.

Which reminds me, I wonder if those people who used to drive manuals have had an easier time adapting to regen, because of their experience with engine braking.

Reactions: dmurphy