Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well THIS is interesting....200K max

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screen Shot 2016-04-03 at 3.37.07 PM.png

It looks like they're gonna work it!!!

From how I read things....

Here is what happens after the car manufacturer sold its 200k car was sold (or is it the 200k US cars sold?).

If the sale happened in the 1ST CALENDAR QTR thru the 2ND CALENDAR QTR then at the END of SAID 2ND CAL QTR the 1/2 rebate would happen.

HOWEVER if the 200k car sold took place ANYTIME in the 3RD or 4TH QTR THEN FULL REBATE would continue ALL THE WAY till the 2ND QTR of the NEXT year.

The trick (it would seem) is to have your 200k car sale take place ON THE 1ST DAY of the 3RD QUARTER of any given year. That gives you almost an entire year of sales (99% OF Q3 all of Q4 all of Q1 and ALL Q2) then it would finish with 1/2 REBATE in Q3 and 1/4 rebate in Q4.

This is how I understood things away. And yes I'm quite sure Tesla Motors know that this is the more desired result and I'm sure they are working to take the most advantage they can on behalf if its customers.

Reactions: Lunarx
I don't think that's how it works.

The 200,000th car is delivered on the first day of (any given) quarter. All cars delivered in that quarter, and the following quarter, get the full rebate. Then steps down....

The trick is to have the 200,000th car delivered on the first day of ANY quarter. Then PUMP OUT US deliveries for the remainder of that quarter and the next.

The 200,000th car is delivered on the first day of (any given) quarter. All cars delivered in that quarter, and the following quarter, get the full rebate. Then steps down....

The trick is to have the 200,000th car delivered on the first day of ANY quarter. Then PUMP OUT US deliveries for the remainder of that quarter and the next.

This matches my understanding. The key to maximizing the number of rebates is therefore two pieces - hitting the 200k car right at the beginning of a quarter, and being able to ramp up production as much as possible in the following two quarters.

Since it's customer deliveries rather than production completion, I could see Tesla ramping up the production ahead, and holding some deliveries a few weeks to start at the beginning of the quarter - and possibly shipping mostly only US for two quarters.

Reactions: Lunarx and hoang51
I don't think that's how it works.

Right. Here's the official language from IRS.gov:

Qualified Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit (IRC 30D) Phase Out
The qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle credit phases out for a manufacturer’s vehicles over the one-year period beginning with the second calendar quarter after the calendar quarter in which at least 200,000 qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer have been sold for use in the United States (determined on a cumulative basis for sales after December 31, 2009) (“phase-out period”). Qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are eligible for 50 percent of the credit if acquired in the first two quarters of the phase-out period and 25 percent of the credit if acquired in the third or fourth quarter of the phase-out period. Vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are not eligible for a credit if acquired after the phase-out period.

Since I just got a tax credit on my new 90D, if a M3 might be ready in 2.5 years, would I be eligible? Am I allowed multiple tax credits in three years? I think not. So even if owners of Ses and Xes are put in line before non Tesla owners, will that make much difference to the tax credit availability? Maybe to a few owners of over-three-year-old Model Ses.

And if someone else who has no money and desperately needs (not just selfishly wants) the tax credit would be shoved out of line if I get one, shouldn't I wait? I would. Or what if I take the car and not apply for a credit? How does all that work, oh you knowledgeable armchair tax lawyers?

Since I just got a tax credit on my new 90D, if a M3 might be ready in 2.5 years, would I be eligible? Am I allowed multiple tax credits in three years? I think not. So even if owners of Ses and Xes are put in line before non Tesla owners, will that make much difference to the tax credit availability? Maybe to a few owners of over-three-year-old Model Ses.

And if someone else who has no money and desperately needs (not just selfishly wants) the tax credit would be shoved out of line if I get one, shouldn't I wait? I would. Or what if I take the car and not apply for a credit? How does all that work, oh you knowledgeable armchair tax lawyers?
You can claim credits each year, and i believe someone posted at one time that you can even claim more than one 7500 credit per year (if your tax liability supported it.) They posted a picture of the line on the form where you could enter "vehicle two."