Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Welp finally happened to me…windshield stress crack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think any car company would cover a cracked windshield when the car is many months old. Maybe if it occurred in the first week or two of ownership, but even then most manufacturers would push back.

ALL other companies have manufacturer's warranty that lasts, at least, 4 years / 50K miles (for premium brands). All manufacturing defects should get covered during that period, not just the first few weeks of ownership.

If the windshield cracked due to manufacturing defects in glass, or pre-loaded stresses during installation, it would get covered by every other OEM. And the dealer would go to bat to see that it gets covered (dealer's and owner's incentives are aligned).

With Tesla, there is no dealer.
So its up to the owner to argue, escalate, appeal, and justify his/her own warranty claims.
Some folks find that idea more palatable than others. Whatever stresses and costs one might have incurred (or avoided) dealing with a dealer during the purchase process, are substituted for the similar during the service experiences due to the lack of that same dealer intermediary.
It's how the cookie crumbles.

Please help me understand something, like in most every car manufactured today, the windshield is bonded to the frame using an adhesive, so how is it that stress cracking is a bigger problem with a Tesla than any other car manufactured using the same method of assembly? Does the car flex in such a way that it cracks the windshield and if so, why wouldn't every Tesla have the same problem?

Three variables to consider:
  1. Tesla frame could flex more than that of mature automakers, leading to greater flexing and stresses on the glass panels (I haven't seen any published chassis stiffness #s for Model 3).
  2. Model 3 has significantly larger glass surfaces areas, thus glass is exposed to greater torsional loads.
  3. Tesla production QC has been notoriously sub-par. The quality of materials themselves, as well as quality and integrity of glass installation process, are always question marks.
I suspect #3 is the most likely culprit, since not all cars are experiencing this issue.

There are a lot of things that can crack a windshield. I think you'd have to come up with some proof that the crack is a stress crack due to a defect in manufacturing, and I have no idea how you'd prove that.

Sorry, that's dead wrong.
It is the responsibility of the auto-OEM to prove that the failure is caused by external factors (rock or another object hitting the windshield), not the other way around. If a part failed, it should be covered by the manufacturer's warranty, by default, unless another cause can be established.
Luckily, it's a pretty simple thing to verify - any external (or internal) impact would leave a pit or a cavity at the point of impact.

HTH,
a

Last edited:
ALL other companies have manufacturer's warranty that lasts, at least, 4 years / 50K miles (for premium brands). All manufacturing defects should get covered during that period, not just the first few weeks of ownership.

If the windshield cracked due to manufacturing defects in glass, or pre-loaded stresses during installation, it would get covered by every other OEM. And the dealer would go to bat to see that it gets covered (dealer's and owner's incentives are aligned).

With Tesla, there is no dealer.
So its up to the owner to argue, escalate, appeal, and justify his/her own warranty claims.
Some folks find that idea more palatable than others. Whatever stresses and costs one might have incurred (or avoided) dealing with a dealer during the purchase process, are substituted for the similar during the service experiences due to the lack of that same dealer intermediary.
It's how the cookie crumbles.

Three variables to consider:
  1. Tesla frame could flex more than that of mature automakers, leading to greater flexing and stresses on the glass panels (I haven't seen any published chassis stiffness #s for Model 3).
  2. Model 3 has significantly larger glass surfaces areas, thus glass is exposed to greater torsional loads.
  3. Tesla production QC has been notoriously sub-par. The quality of materials themselves, as well as quality and integrity of glass installation process, are always question marks.
I suspect #3 is the most likely culprit, since not all cars are experiencing this issue.

Sorry, that's dead wrong.
It is the responsibility of the auto-OEM to prove that the failure is caused by external factors (rock or another object hitting the windshield), not the other way around. If a part failed, it should be covered by the manufacturer's warranty, by default, unless another cause can be established.
Luckily, it's a pretty simple thing to verify - any external (or internal) impact would leave a pit or a cavity at the point of impact.

HTH,
a
I'm not going to respond in detail since you are entitled to your opinions, as I am to mine. Suffice to say, that my experience in my life with many cars and many different manufacturers doesn't reflect what you say here, and that includes Mercedes, BMW, Toyota, Ford, and a number of others.

I'm not going to respond in detail since you are entitled to your opinions, as I am to mine. Suffice to say, that my experience in my life with many cars and many different manufacturers doesn't reflect what you say here, and that includes Mercedes, BMW, Toyota, Ford, and a number of others.
Sorry to hear your experience with warranty coverage has been so traumatic.
I've owned many if the above OEM brands, and then some, and can't recall a single situation where a dealer hasn't gotten to bat for me to make sure marginal warranty claims are fully covered. And got me a loaner while the car was in service (except of Tesla, or course).

Not once have I had to "prove" the manufacturing defect to get an issue covered under warranty. Not even with Tesla.
But that's just my experiences, across 3 decades and 6 states.

YMMV,
a

How common is a stress crack on Model Y windshields? I just got a new Model Y for several days and discovered a long foot-long crack on the passenger side of the windshield. I am fighting Tesla to cover the repair and they want to charge me $1,286 to replace the windshield. That is so ridiculous for a new car I just bought. They claim they don't cover windshield damage but I truly believe it is a stress crack as it is more than a foot long. A crack caused by a stone would usually start small and get longer as time goes by. I only have the car for a few days after delivery.

How common is a stress crack on Model Y windshields? I just got a new Model Y for several days and discovered a long foot-long crack on the passenger side of the windshield. I am fighting Tesla to cover the repair and they want to charge me $1,286 to replace the windshield. That is so ridiculous for a new car I just bought. They claim they don't cover windshield damage but I truly believe it is a stress crack as it is more than a foot long. A crack caused by a stone would usually start small and get longer as time goes by. I only have the car for a few days after delivery.

No, it wouldnt. It either has an impact point or it doesnt. Time you had the car doesnt matter. Have them show you the impact point. If you see ANY mark on the windshield anywhere along the crack, there you go, not warranty, doesnt matter how long you had the car.

Just discovered a similar crack on our Y windshield near camera/rearview mirror module. I don't see any external impact damage but in the Tesla app chat about my scheduled appointment, they said they will check for external damage. If there is, they will give me an estimate (which I assume is ~$1300) and if not, they will cover it under warranty.

I hope it's the latter... need to check with my insurance in case it's the former.

I had a strange glass defect appear in my 9/2018 Model 3 in the Spring of my last warranty year. Definitely wasn’t there before. One day in March I noticed a bright glint of sunlight when checking my rear view mirror. Didn’t immediately check out but when the sun would hit the rear windshield at a certain angle it would appear very brightly, otherwise not really noticeable.

2ABB98F1-E4F4-4EDF-92C0-5B9D93B22014.jpeg

52287BAB-2854-4261-ABFF-81C534954394.jpeg

Wasn’t moving over time at that point and glass on both sides was smooth where the defect was. Anyway come Summer noticed the defect had turned into an angled crack and so filed a service request a few weeks prior to warranty expiration along with photos I had taken over time. Tesla inspected at SvC and made appointment to bring in to have replaced under warranty. Here’s a photo of it before replacement.

266170E8-6AA1-4AA9-9647-88071A17442F.jpeg

But absolutely no issues getting it replaced even almost 4 years out. Dropped car off overnight and was ready to pick up late next morning. Did a nice job and no leaking after we got rain.

Well it finally happened to me…went outside today and there is a massive crack on my windshield. No impact, no dings, nothing. The crack has got to be a foot long now as it goes from the top of the windshield down around the cameras and further down the windshield.

Anyone had any experience with Tesla getting it fixed? Can mobile service replace a windshield like Safelite?

View attachment 829145

View attachment 829146
It happened to me last week. I only had the Tesla X 4 days and 150 miles. They said it is not stress..... but I don't believe it. A sliver on the pen test. I think either defect or stress. Scheduled to replace Oct. 26, 2023. it coast $2400. I didn't even drove it a week. Wishing I had my Y now.