Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Welp finally happened to me…windshield stress crack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well it finally happened to me…went outside today and there is a massive crack on my windshield. No impact, no dings, nothing. The crack has got to be a foot long now as it goes from the top of the windshield down around the cameras and further down the windshield.

Anyone had any experience with Tesla getting it fixed? Can mobile service replace a windshield like Safelite?

C616B8BE-D248-4D14-8D20-94F013E88C88.jpeg

C73404A4-56D7-41AA-ACD5-000131662E3C.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
I’ve had Tesla service replace 2 windshields over the years and they do a good job. Mobile service is not able to do it. Also if you have glass coverage on your insurance policy you can get reimbursed since Tesla won’t bill your insurance company directly.
I can for sure do insurance but I do not want to file a claim bc this is clearly not an impact damage. It’s a stress crack so I want Tesla to do it on their dime.

I understand but just be prepared for Tesla to push back on covering this. Tesla is well known for denying all kinds of warranty work
I can for sure do insurance but I do not want to file a claim bc this is clearly not an impact damage. It’s a stress crack so I want Tesla to do it on their dime.
I don't think any car company would cover a cracked windshield when the car is many months old. Maybe if it occurred in the first week or two of ownership, but even then most manufacturers would push back. There are a lot of things that can crack a windshield. I think you'd have to come up with some proof that the crack is a stress crack due to a defect in manufacturing, and I have no idea how you'd prove that.

Please help me understand something, like in most every car manufactured today, the windshield is bonded to the frame using an adhesive, so how is it that stress cracking is a bigger problem with a Tesla than any other car manufactured using the same method of assembly? Does the car flex in such a way that it cracks the windshield and if so, why wouldn't every Tesla have the same problem?

OP, did you happen to have recently tinted the windshield?

I heard a story of cracking after tinting the windshield - maybe from the tool they use to tuck in the tint film...🤔
I have had nothing done to the windshield. I had one of those reflective sun screens inside the car, but I’ve used it many times before, so I can’t imagine that would cause it to crack. But I will say I was washing the car and noticed it when drying…I was in the shade washing the car though. Maybe the reflective sun screen and the washing of the car was the problem? Idk

It’s getting bigger also…quite literally 2 feet now. I think it’s gunna end up down the whole windshield before I can get Tesla to replace it…

• Helpful
Reactions: RoBoRaT
Please help me understand something, like in most every car manufactured today, the windshield is bonded to the frame using an adhesive, so how is it that stress cracking is a bigger problem with a Tesla than any other car manufactured using the same method of assembly? Does the car flex in such a way that it cracks the windshield and if so, why wouldn't every Tesla have the same problem?
People in the forums have speculated for years on soft glass, low quality, etc. it definitely seems to me to be a bigger problem on Tesla’s than any other car for sure though

I have had nothing done to the windshield. I had one of those reflective sun screens inside the car, but I’ve used it many times before, so I can’t imagine that would cause it to crack. But I will say I was washing the car and noticed it when drying…I was in the shade washing the car though. Maybe the reflective sun screen and the washing of the car was the problem? Idk

It’s getting bigger also…quite literally 2 feet now. I think it’s gunna end up down the whole windshield before I can get Tesla to replace it…
If you feel the crack and it's on the inside, you have a strong case. If you feel the crack is on the outside, they may fight you, especially given the age of the vehicle (usually stress cracks show up fairly early in the life of the vehicle).

The windshield could have had a microcrack or chip and the additional stress from cold water on a hot windshield made it crack (compounded by your reflector still being on).

• Helpful
Reactions: Jeremy3292
I've had several windows replaced on my two Model S as well as other cars over the years.
A true "stress crack" is rare. There is usually a small pit in the glass where it was hit by a small rock. You may not even notice it. Weeks or months later this grows into a large crack. Look along the crack and you will usually find a very small pit which started it all.
Safelite did one Tesla windshield replacement. Tesla SC another. Both did a good job.
If you have Tesla insurance they will give you 50% off the cost of the windshield at the SC.

Reactions: GoergeJetson
Also started submitting a claim with Progressive just to see and this disclaimer popped up. Apparently the recalibration isn’t BS?

View attachment 829506

Model 3s re calibrate on their own. I had a similar insurance warning when I started a claim on my insurance for my windshield in the last 6 months or so. Mine was a rock that hit my windshield, and I had it replaced at a tesla service center.

Tesla told me (when I asked directly) "we dont charge for calibration because the car self calibrates the cameras when its driven after windshield replacement. Customers dont like it when we simply drive their cars to calibrate the cameras again, so we dont do that any longer".

I asked again directly "I want to be sure, because I have different instructions on how to get reimbursed for camera calibration vs windshield replacement, and need to ensure I am doing what my insurance asks me to do if I want to get reimbursed properly".

They repeated what they said above, and thats what I experienced when the windshield was replaced. There was no charge for camera calibration on the invoice, and there wasnt anything I had to do.

I've had several windows replaced on my two Model S as well as other cars over the years.
A true "stress crack" is rare. There is usually a small pit in the glass where it was hit by a small rock. You may not even notice it. Weeks or months later this grows into a large crack. Look along the crack and you will usually find a very small pit which started it all.
Safelite did one Tesla windshield replacement. Tesla SC another. Both did a good job.
If you have Tesla insurance they will give you 50% off the cost of the windshield at the SC.
Agree, I had two long cracks like that on my MS and each time they took days after an impact I initially dismissed as rock impact on body, I remember even inspecting under car for damage days before the crack developed.

For what it’s worth I’ve had both my top glass(roof) and windshield replaced at Tesla within the past 1.5ys on my 2018 build. Both were covered under good will. First it was my windshield then maybe a year later the top glass. With the windshield I was just going to go through insurance and Safelite, started the insurance process but ended up just bringing it to Tesla on the chance they would cover it and not have to go through insurance. When I made the appointments and when I dropped the car off, I nicely stated that there was never any impact, no evidence of impact along the cracks and that I believe it could be stress cracks. Each time they said they would take a look and inspect the glass. Each time ended up being covered. I do think it depends on the service center…some do what’s right some don’t.

Even before my Tesla I always inspect my windshields whenever there was any impact and during weekly washes. If I noticed any damage I used DIY windshield repair kits if necessary to prevent a crack from forming, if the impact introduces any air between the two layers.….that’s where cracks spread from. With Both my windshield and roof….there was zero impact damage along the cracks and both extended to the edges of the glass.