Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Welp, we're now a 2 EV household...............and the 2nd EV ISN'T A TESLA!!! (ZOMG111ELEVENTY111!!!!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just picked up our 2nd EV, and I have to say that Tesla wasn't even in the running. Not because we don't like Tesla, because we do, but because we liked another EV better on balance - the Genesis GV60. Ours is the "Performance" trim, and the straight-line speed certainly lives up to that moniker, even if the handling doesn't quite.

IMG_1082.jpeg

We'd been thinking we'd need to order one and wait, but lucked out and found an available one in a color combination that SWMBO loved in stock at our local dealership. It's Matte White over Blue Nappa leather, with lime green trim on the seats and dash. Believe me when I say that I'd have NEVER thought she'd choose that color combination, but as soon as she opened the door she was like "I LOVE it - it's both luxurious and sporty!" (this is a woman who shies away from strong colors in every other aspect of her life, so it's truly stunning to me that she likes this, but 🤷‍♂️)

IMG_1086.jpeg

The drive experience is really nice - extremely smooth and quiet, with a comfortable ride and great seats. The adaptive/adjustable suspension does a nice job, though I must say that I'd personally prefer a slightly "tighter" overall demeanor. It's perfect for her though, so that's what matters.

It's not as practical (read: cargo room) as some of the competition, but as we're empty-nesters, practicality wasn't the most important trait.

The cabin tech has a fairly steep learning curve, but we're getting the hang of it.

The audio system sounds really good, and the driving assistance systems seem to work well.

Our first EA charging session went off without a hitch, and the charging speed was truly eye-popping. It was still pulling 137KW at 80% SOC, which is NUTS:

IMG_1110.jpeg

3 years of 30-minute DC fast-charging sessions are included in the purchase price, so for our rare road trips that will be nice. There are also 4 350KW EA chargers less than 20 minutes from home, so we may pop over there from time to time for some free juice.

I bought a Tesla Tap so we can charge the GV60 with our Tesla charging cable, and the charge port location even means that our cable reaches the car with no problem:

IMG_1090.jpeg

Anyway, I'd be glad to answer any questions if anyone has any, but it seems to be a really nice vehicle overall, and we're (she's) happy! ;-)

How does it do with identifying charge locations on your route? I test drove an early Ioniq 5, really wanted to buy it but I couldn't find how to have it find routes through chargers when I routed past its range. When i searched it gave me charge locations near where I was not where I will be...
Having owned teslas I assumed every ev would have this feature. I actually passed on buying that car because of this. I'm hoping ioniq ev6 gv60 have the feature by now...

You and me both figured that all EVs would have that feature, but they don't. 🤷‍♂️

To me, this seems to be another indicator that this car was built by a legacy ICEV manufacturer, rather than an "EV-only" manufacturer.

The GV60 doesn't currently include that feature, and if I thought we'd be road-tripping it much it would be a bigger deal. We won't, so it isn't.

Eventually, the hope is that an OTA update (yes, the car truly does receive OTA updates) will add that functionality.

Until then, "ABRP" to the rescue!

Last edited:
They did just plug in apparently so that might be over normal but on a 5-85% that is about the percentage where it dumps the rate to cool down and ramps back up.

The more important statistic is that the overall charging speed in KW from 10-80% is something like 75% higher than the Model 3P/Model YP.

This presumes that we can find a functional, available 350KW Electrify America charger, and I know there's no guarantee of that....

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I think the GV60 is excellent and if it was my choice and available when my wife wanted an EV earlier this year, it would have been high on the list. But she pretty much refuse to drive Korean brands so that wasn't going to happen. (ended up with a Volvo C40, which she loves)

So you mentioned that the app may have even more function than Tesla's app. Could you go into more details on that? I've only seen apps from Volvo (squat) and Audi (decent) and their apps are not that close to the Tesla app in terms of functionality. If Genesis' is equal or better, then that's another nice selling point.

I think the GV60 is excellent and if it was my choice and available when my wife wanted an EV earlier this year, it would have been high on the list. But she pretty much refuse to drive Korean brands so that wasn't going to happen. (ended up with a Volvo C40, which she loves)

So you mentioned that the app may have even more function than Tesla's app. Could you go into more details on that? I've only seen apps from Volvo (squat) and Audi (decent) and their apps are not that close to the Tesla app in terms of functionality. If Genesis' is equal or better, then that's another nice selling point.

‎Genesis Intelligent Assistant (Apple)

Genesis Intelligent Assistant - Apps on Google Play (Android)

How does it do with identifying charge locations on your route? I test drove an early Ioniq 5, really wanted to buy it but I couldn't find how to have it find routes through chargers when I routed past its range. When i searched it gave me charge locations near where I was not where I will be...
Having owned teslas I assumed every ev would have this feature. I actually passed on buying that car because of this. I'm hoping ioniq ev6 gv60 have the feature by now...

One thing I'd mention (this is for the OP as well), is with CarPlay, you can run both PlugShare and ABRP (A Better Route Planner) right on the car system:

PlugShare

1671554958149.png

ABRP

1671555015295.png

FWIW, those apps are also terrific for general planning, and they're available on several different platforms (even Apple Watch!)

Reactions: Daekwan and Zcd1
There are indeed connected services, with the first 12 months included with the vehicle purchase.

Do you know the cost after the trial period? And if there are multiple packages (as legacy auto tends to do *sigh*), how much solely to continue remote start capability?

The rack rate for app-based remote start on GM cars is an unbelievable $15/mo, but you can usually get it down to $8 or $9 by doing the annoying ISP-like task of calling OnStart and arguing with them.

You and me both figured that all EVs would have that feature, but they don't. 🤷‍♂️

To me, this seems to be another indicator that this car was built by a legacy ICEV manufacturer, rather than an "EV-only" manufacturer.

The GV60 doesn't currently include that feature, and if I thought we'd be road-tripping it much it would be a bigger deal. We won't, so it isn't.

Eventually, the hope is that an OTA update (yes, the car truly does receive OTA updates) will add that functionality.

Until then, "ABRP" to the rescue!
I was going to ask about CarPlay and ABRP but @MaskedRacerX beat me to it.
And that's cool, but of course we need to program the charging stop into the car's NAV to activate battery pre-conditioning if required.
From what I’ve seen, Apple is planning on advancing CarPlay so it has more integration with host cars rather than essentially being a second screen. If that happens I wouldn’t be surprised if apps like ABRP would be able trigger battery conditioning.

Tesla definitely has better integration with the SuperCharger network but the flip side is it has *no* integration with any other chargers so there’s no way that I know of to condition your battery for charging at an EA charger unless it happens to be close to a supercharger. Tesla will plan your route and charging stops for you but if you happen to want different charging stops it becomes quite cumbersome, as I discovered on a recent trip. Bottom line - Tesla is ahead here but both makers have room for improvement.

Reactions: sckor
I'm just happy that there are more GOOD EV's out there.

Hopefully this kicks Tesla out of their relative stagnation and get them to start getting innovative again. Rainbow road while on autopilot is cool and all, but we're overdue to see some real big innovations besides the new battery design and manufacturing improvements to pump out more cars.