Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Welp, we're now a 2 EV household...............and the 2nd EV ISN'T A TESLA!!! (ZOMG111ELEVENTY111!!!!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just picked up our 2nd EV, and I have to say that Tesla wasn't even in the running. Not because we don't like Tesla, because we do, but because we liked another EV better on balance - the Genesis GV60. Ours is the "Performance" trim, and the straight-line speed certainly lives up to that moniker, even if the handling doesn't quite.

IMG_1082.jpeg

We'd been thinking we'd need to order one and wait, but lucked out and found an available one in a color combination that SWMBO loved in stock at our local dealership. It's Matte White over Blue Nappa leather, with lime green trim on the seats and dash. Believe me when I say that I'd have NEVER thought she'd choose that color combination, but as soon as she opened the door she was like "I LOVE it - it's both luxurious and sporty!" (this is a woman who shies away from strong colors in every other aspect of her life, so it's truly stunning to me that she likes this, but 🤷‍♂️)

IMG_1086.jpeg

The drive experience is really nice - extremely smooth and quiet, with a comfortable ride and great seats. The adaptive/adjustable suspension does a nice job, though I must say that I'd personally prefer a slightly "tighter" overall demeanor. It's perfect for her though, so that's what matters.

It's not as practical (read: cargo room) as some of the competition, but as we're empty-nesters, practicality wasn't the most important trait.

The cabin tech has a fairly steep learning curve, but we're getting the hang of it.

The audio system sounds really good, and the driving assistance systems seem to work well.

Our first EA charging session went off without a hitch, and the charging speed was truly eye-popping. It was still pulling 137KW at 80% SOC, which is NUTS:

IMG_1110.jpeg

3 years of 30-minute DC fast-charging sessions are included in the purchase price, so for our rare road trips that will be nice. There are also 4 350KW EA chargers less than 20 minutes from home, so we may pop over there from time to time for some free juice.

I bought a Tesla Tap so we can charge the GV60 with our Tesla charging cable, and the charge port location even means that our cable reaches the car with no problem:

IMG_1090.jpeg

Anyway, I'd be glad to answer any questions if anyone has any, but it seems to be a really nice vehicle overall, and we're (she's) happy! ;-)

@Zcd1 how would you rate the road noise insulation compared to the Model Y?
I assume the suspension is definitely more comfortable than Model Y, but how about the road noise?
I’ve not driven a Model Y, so can’t comment on that specific comparison.

I have put about 50,000 miles on 2 Model 3 Performances, though, and there’s no comparison - the Genesis is much quieter.

Road tests I’ve seen suggest:
Model 3: 70 dB @ 70 mph
GV60: 65 dB @ 70 mph.

Reactions: Art84

I have put about 50,000 miles on 2 Model 3 Performances, though, and there’s no comparison - the Genesis is much quieter.

What year M3P? Similar size tires and performance compound? Similar mileage when sounds test preformed, as newer tires are more quiet.
Looks like an interesting EV - enjoy the new ride.

How is the efficiency been so far? Tesla has that dialed in for both performance and super efficiency.

5 dB difference is a lot (supposedly it is half as loud)! Did you record these readings under the same (approximate) conditions (same road, same temperature, same dry/wet)?

What year M3P? Similar size tires and performance compound? Similar mileage when sounds test preformed, as newer tires are more quiet.
Looks like an interesting EV - enjoy the new ride.

How is the efficiency been so far? Tesla has that dialed in for both performance and super efficiency.

Thanks!

Efficiency is hard to compare right now because we've only put about 300 miles on the Genesis so far. I don't expect it to be as good as the Model 3, but it should be close to the Model Y.

5 dB difference is a lot (supposedly it is half as loud)! Did you record these readings under the same (approximate) conditions (same road, same temperature, same dry/wet)?

Car and Driver recorded 70dB @ 70 mph with their 2019 Model 3 LR on all-season tires.
I've seen tests that say 64 and 65 dB at 70 mph for the GV60, also on all-season tires

Reactions: Evpowerdan
We just picked up our 2nd EV, and I have to say that Tesla wasn't even in the running. Not because we don't like Tesla, because we do, but because we liked another EV better on balance - the Genesis GV60. Ours is the "Performance" trim, and the straight-line speed certainly lives up to that moniker, even if the handling doesn't quite.

View attachment 886946

We'd been thinking we'd need to order one and wait, but lucked out and found an available one in a color combination that SWMBO loved in stock at our local dealership. It's Matte White over Blue Nappa leather, with lime green trim on the seats and dash. Believe me when I say that I'd have NEVER thought she'd choose that color combination, but as soon as she opened the door she was like "I LOVE it - it's both luxurious and sporty!" (this is a woman who shies away from strong colors in every other aspect of her life, so it's truly stunning to me that she likes this, but 🤷‍♂️)

View attachment 886947

The drive experience is really nice - extremely smooth and quiet, with a comfortable ride and great seats. The adaptive/adjustable suspension does a nice job, though I must say that I'd personally prefer a slightly "tighter" overall demeanor. It's perfect for her though, so that's what matters.

It's not as practical (read: cargo room) as some of the competition, but as we're empty-nesters, practicality wasn't the most important trait.

The cabin tech has a fairly steep learning curve, but we're getting the hang of it.

The audio system sounds really good, and the driving assistance systems seem to work well.

Our first EA charging session went off without a hitch, and the charging speed was truly eye-popping. It was still pulling 137KW at 80% SOC, which is NUTS:

View attachment 886945

3 years of 30-minute DC fast-charging sessions are included in the purchase price, so for our rare road trips that will be nice. There are also 4 350KW EA chargers less than 20 minutes from home, so we may pop over there from time to time for some free juice.

I bought a Tesla Tap so we can charge the GV60 with our Tesla charging cable, and the charge port location even means that our cable reaches the car with no problem:

View attachment 886948

Anyway, I'd be glad to answer any questions if anyone has any, but it seems to be a really nice vehicle overall, and we're (she's) happy! ;-)
Congratulations, it certainly look very nice. How long you have been waiting for this ? Also I heard only a very limited certified dealer is allowed to touch EV, can you take this to any dealership to fix it or only the one you purchased from ? EA charger is still hit and miss, but I am glad that’s more choice and still have stalk, USS, radaR … more normal rather than Tesla’s marginal improvement is any by taking those away.

Car and Driver recorded 70dB @ 70 mph with their 2019 Model 3 LR on all-season tires.
I've seen tests that say 64 and 65 dB at 70 mph for the GV60, also on all-season tires
22 M3P with more insulation and dual pain front windows is very quiet, a night and day difference from 2018-19 M3's. Probably would be a lot closer today. This user test states its 4-5dB quieter on the new 22 models (23 would be the same).

22 M3P with more insulation and dual pain front windows is very quiet, a night and day difference from 2018-19 M3's. Probably would be a lot closer today. This user test states its 4-5dB quieter on the new 22 models (23 would be the same).

Having owned both '18 and '22 Model 3Ps, I can verify that the '22 M3P is quieter, and also that it's nowhere near as quiet as the GV60.

Congratulations, it certainly look very nice. How long you have been waiting for this ? Also I heard only a very limited certified dealer is allowed to touch EV, can you take this to any dealership to fix it or only the one you purchased from ? EA charger is still hit and miss, but I am glad that’s more choice and still have stalk, USS, radaR … more normal rather than Tesla’s marginal improvement is any by taking those away.

Thanks - we bought it from a local dealer's inventory - no wait at all.

There are 2 Genesis dealers in our area - one sells EVs, the other doesn't. (the one that does is further away - 25 minutes compared to 10 minutes)

Genesis Concierge service means that they pick up the car (on a truck if needed) and bring us a loaner if we have any issues. Fingers crossed we don't need that service!

One thing I'd mention (this is for the OP as well), is with CarPlay, you can run both PlugShare and ABRP (A Better Route Planner) right on the car system:

PlugShare

View attachment 887137

ABRP

View attachment 887138

FWIW, those apps are also terrific for general planning, and they're available on several different platforms (even Apple Watch!)

Yeah, I was wondering why it took this long for someone to point this out. Seems like people forgot there are PLENTY of ways to find fast chargers on your route. Look I'll be the first to admit the Supercharger network + built-in routing in every Tesla is certainly the easiest tool to use. But Supercharging ain't cheap. Because of that reason alone, I'm familiar with a lot of the non-Tesla charging apps and tend to use several charging networks.
  • ABRP will get you faster from point A to B (while needing to stop & charge) than pretty much any other EV routing app. That includes OEM Tesla. It tells you exactly how much/long you need to charge to reach your destination with a specific percentage of battery life. On a 300-mile roundtrip drive I take every 1-2 months.. Tesla's in-car navigation will tell me to stop once to charge for 40 mins.. while ABRP tells me to stop twice (1x for 9mins.. and another 1x for 6 mins).. saving me 25 mins of travel time. The longer the drive, the more I depend on ABRP.
  • I use EA's app about twice a month when looking for CCS chargers because I can charge there completely free using my Tesla CCS1 adapter + the promo code from my wife's VW ID.4. Even if it wasn't free.. EA's flat rate of $0.43 cents per kWh for non-members and $0.31 cents for members is cheaper than most Superchargers around the NE.
  • Plugshare is great for finding free charging while shopping, eating, or staying overnight at hotels. While staying in Ocean City Beach in MD this summer.. I was able locate a few free L2 chargers at public libraries & parking lots.. all within walking distance from my hotel. Before heading home, I filled my battery completely for free overnight. Meanwhile, the closest Supercharger was about 3 miles away and cost $0.44 cents per kWh.
  • Google Maps and other popular NAV apps have now added POI for EV charging. I haven't tried it yet, but the capability should be there. Google Maps got a big update that shows where fast-charging EV stations are and more
  • Like many EV owners, I most all of my charging at home. The only time I really actually need to use a public DC fast charger is when I'm traveling more than 200 miles in a single day. And I have the standard range Model Y. That happens once every month.. or two. This means like 98% of daily charging happens right at home.
And I drive a lot. About 2000 miles every month. I'd say the amount of times I actually need to use a Supercharger is maybe 5 or 6x a year. Of course, this is my situation and others are probably different. But unless you are some type of road warrior.. I would imagine most people 240V L2 wall charger at home could get by just fine owning an EV without the SC network.

Last edited:
Congrats OP! its a sweet looking car. Thx for posting up and giving us your review. Owner of a MYP and the GV60 is the closest comparison. Im sure in a few years, we will be shopping for a new EV. Just wanted to see whats new out there. Once Tesla open up their SC, its a fair game.

so I was able to test drive one 2 week ago. It was a quick 15 min drive and comparison to my MYP. My Y was quicker. I didn't liked how the GV need a boost button. The Y has more cargo and a FRUNK which I use daily bc I install the power frunk. The Y UI is much smoother and I prefer all the control on the screen compared to all the buttons the GV has, but im sure once you get use the the GV, it will be ok. The GV fit and finish is superior than the Y. Not a single misalighment and interior material is so much nicer than the Y. Im sure the GV ride quality is much more comfortable. The GV 360 camera is so nice! Tesla need it. Also the GV has HUD and cooling seats, so cool!

I have a few questions when OP has a few min to reply.

1. hows Genesis App? does it work as well as the Tesla? full control (locking, opening...etc), AC and heater, charging control, scheduling.

2. Once you have ur driver profile set and saved. When you get in and out. Do you have to adjust anything on control? When I was doing my test drive. Once I exit and come back in, I had to redo all my setting. Exspecially the REGEN which took a bit to get it right. I liked how Tesla have multiply driver profile. Once I exit, just walk away. Once I enter, car knows me and everything is set.

3. hows the keyless entry? I liked how the Y, u just walk up, open and drive. Park and walk away. Knowing 95%, this system will work. Too bad the GV still have a start button.

4. Can u charge your GV to 100% daily? or its 90% liked Tesla. The sale guy couldn't give me an answer.

Please Keep us posted on ur efficiency. When Tesla open up their SC and if the GV efficiency is comparable, it will be a tough decision.

Happy holidays everyone!

Congrats OP! its a sweet looking car. Thx for posting up and giving us your review. Owner of a MYP and the GV60 is the closest comparison. Im sure in a few years, we will be shopping for a new EV. Just wanted to see whats new out there. Once Tesla open up their SC, its a fair game.

so I was able to test drive one 2 week ago. It was a quick 15 min drive and comparison to my MYP. My Y was quicker. I didn't liked how the GV need a boost button. The Y has more cargo and a FRUNK which I use daily bc I install the power frunk. The Y UI is much smoother and I prefer all the control on the screen compared to all the buttons the GV has, but im sure once you get use the the GV, it will be ok. The GV fit and finish is superior than the Y. Not a single misalighment and interior material is so much nicer than the Y. Im sure the GV ride quality is much more comfortable. The GV 360 camera is so nice! Tesla need it. Also the GV has HUD and cooling seats, so cool!

I have a few questions when OP has a few min to reply.

1. hows Genesis App? does it work as well as the Tesla? full control (locking, opening...etc), AC and heater, charging control, scheduling.

2. Once you have ur driver profile set and saved. When you get in and out. Do you have to adjust anything on control? When I was doing my test drive. Once I exit and come back in, I had to redo all my setting. Exspecially the REGEN which took a bit to get it right. I liked how Tesla have multiply driver profile. Once I exit, just walk away. Once I enter, car knows me and everything is set.

3. hows the keyless entry? I liked how the Y, u just walk up, open and drive. Park and walk away. Knowing 95%, this system will work. Too bad the GV still have a start button.

4. Can u charge your GV to 100% daily? or its 90% liked Tesla. The sale guy couldn't give me an answer.

Please Keep us posted on ur efficiency. When Tesla open up their SC and if the GV efficiency is comparable, it will be a tough decision.

Happy holidays everyone!

Hey, and thanks.

A few responses:
1: Genesis app is pretty slick overall.
2: Driver profile saves seat position, media, climate control and most other settings. For no apparent reason, the Drive Mode setting reverts to "Comfort" every time the car is power-cycled, which seem silly. The regenerative braking has 5 settings: Off/1/2/3/i-Pedal. i-Pedal is one-pedal driving. Setting 2 is probably closest to Tesla's, with Level 3 providing stronger regen than any Tesla I've driven. i-Pedal includes coming to a full stop - the other 4 settings don't bring the car to a complete halt, which again seems silly. My hope is that those various levels are simplified, or at least that they will add full stopping to other regen braking settings eventually.
3: Keyless entry via the phone works well, and don't forget that the car also includes Facial recognition for entry, and a fingerprint sensor for driver's settings.
4: I'm not aware of specific instructions to avoid charging to 100%, but there's no real need for us to do that anyway, since we charge at home and don't need 100% of the car's range except in very rare instances.

Efficiency seems fine so far - about on par with my Model 3P overall, though I probably don't drive the Genesis as fast, because it's a much more relaxing drive.

I'd probably prefer fewer modes and settings in the Genesis, or the ability to tie EVERYthing to the driver setting.

Hope this helps.

Congratulations on your newest EV purchase! With it being a performance model, just curious as to how it compares to the Tesla. Acceleration, traction control, and regen braking?

Thanks.

When "Boost" mode is engaged, the GV60 really boogies. Without Boost mode, it's still quick enough to dispatch 95% of traffic when pulling away from a stoplight.

I was surprised to encounter a small amount of torque-steer in the GV60 in Boost mode and at full throttle - something I've never experienced in our Teslas.

Regen braking is a bit of a mixed bag, since there are multiple settings and all but one require hitting the brake pedal to bring the car to a complete stop. I'd have to say that I prefer Tesla's approach there.

The car is quite different overall than any Tesla - it's more focused on being quiet, luxurious and powerful, in that order. The handling is composed and confident, but not overtly sporty, IMO. "P" Teslas are powerful, first and foremost, with sporty handling second, and everything else being somewhat of an afterthought.

My Tesla is more fun to drive for sure, but the Genesis is much nicer to simply cruise in.

Reactions: yellowr6

View attachment 886946

View attachment 886947

View attachment 886945

View attachment 886948

I like the styling of the car. Very nice.

Reactions: Zcd1
Congratulations, 4th quarter must have been good for Genesis. My brother and I were both 2-Teslas owners but both of us got rid of one Tesla and purchased a Genesis EV. My brother was the first with the purchase of the GV60 and convinced me to look at Genesis. I had been shopping for 3-months for a luxury EV sedan and requesting test drives from multiple BMW and Mercedes dealers with no response (canceled Tesla order for 2023 MX). Took my brother's advice and contacted Genesis Concierge Service online. I had full sales support and test drive scheduled in 5mins. Purchased and took delivery of my beautiful Electrified G80 10/28. Paid sticker price, received incredible sales support and delivery support both from Genesis Concierge Service and my Genesis dealership. Most of all G80 design, features, true luxury class appointments that exceed Tesla and compare to BMW and MB at a price that was $48K less has me still smiling. Like your GV60, electric G80 has 800volt platform that allows 10% - 80% charge in 18mins on 350kWh DC charger and comes with 3-year, 30min charging sessions free with Electrify America. I have only used EA twice, both times it was only a 150kWh DC charger so I have not yet tested the full charging capability. I did notice that the Genesis still charged faster vs Tesla MX and M3. Seems higher charge rates over a larger portion of the charge curve is the reason.
IMG_1039.jpeg
IMG_1040.jpeg
I have two Tesla wall chargers both on dedicated circuits, one is the new J1772 unit which works very well on the Genesis. For road trips, we always stay in hotels with EV chargers which easily meets our travel needs. Look forward to many road trips in my beauty which has far superior ride, ultra quiet cabin and Highway Driver Assist 2.0 that works very well, does nothing wrong, and does not get any complaints from my spouse. Another plus from Genesis, they wrap the cars inside and out for delivery, see pictures taken at the dealer. Several people tried to purchase my car while we were driving to the dealership. Glad I put $5K down ahead of time. Looking forward to considering the Genesis electric GV70 later this year.

As a follow up, the OTHER side of buying a non-Tesla EV made itself known this past weekend.

We needed to drive from near Palm Springs, CA to Phoenix. There's only a single, 4-stall EA DC fast-charging charging station between here and there, and at last report from PlugShare, 2 of those stations were off-line. Though the GV60's quiet and comfort would have been enjoyable for the road trip, the chance of needing to wait for a charger for who knows how long was enough to cause us to take our Model 3 instead.

By contrast, there are 2 Supercharger locations at about the midway point of the trip, with a total of 48 (!!!) available chargers.

The EA network as a whole feels like the absolute minimum was done to complete the task of "electrifying the nation's highways", while the Supercharger network feels like it was built to fully enable EVs to serve as an only vehicle. That's a critical distinction, IMHO.