Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Went for a drive, something wrong with predicted range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Avendit

Apr 18, 2019
EDI
So yesterday I had planned one of those trips that is near the end of what a model 3 likes to do. Edinburgh to the Cumbria and back for the day. The best charging pattern I have worked out is leave Edinburgh at 100%, get to the place for the day, then charge on the way north at the dreaded Gretna, usually arriving around 15%.

Unfortunately the trip was cancelled, but I didn't want to leave the car sitting at 100% longer than it needed. So last night I used the battery to do some pre-heating and went for a drive.

Wow, I'd forgotten what a properly pre heated, fully charged battery, 6 degrees C outside meaning the PS4s are starting to work properly drive feels like. Grins all over the place. Mine may 'only' be a P-, but I do rather like it and over the winter I'd forgotten what it was like to really drive (rather than just use) the car.

But when I got home my range had taken a hammering - why am I only seeing a predicted 160 miles from an almost full battery?
IMG_20220317_212918.jpg

So yesterday I had planned one of those trips that is near the end of what a model 3 likes to do. Edinburgh to the Cumbria and back for the day. The best charging pattern I have worked out is leave Edinburgh at 100%, get to the place for the day, then charge on the way north at the dreaded Gretna, usually arriving around 15%.

Unfortunately the trip was cancelled, but I didn't want to leave the car sitting at 100% longer than it needed. So last night I used the battery to do some pre-heating and went for a drive.

Wow, I'd forgotten what a properly pre heated, fully charged battery, 6 degrees C outside meaning the PS4s are starting to work properly drive feels like. Grins all over the place. Mine may 'only' be a P-, but I do rather like it and over the winter I'd forgotten what it was like to really drive (rather than just use) the car.

But when I got home my range had taken a hammering - why am I only seeing a predicted 160 miles from an almost full battery?View attachment 782480
That’s 2.64 mi/kWh, trending down. So maybe not massively off based on battery health and usable capacity.

Does Projected range inc. outside temp not consider average wh/mi and trend? Or just simply average over selected distance x batt?

It's a projected range based on the average use over your last 15 miles, during which time you were burning the battery through heating, right? Did you drive with a heavy foot because you wanted to burn energy?

I wouldn't use this screen for estimates, unless I was motorway driving where my last 15 miles would be representative of my use of the remainder of the battery charge

But I feel like you would know this already and so, why do you feel the estimate sucks? Looks reasonable to me if I was driving with a heavy foot

Reactions: Jason71
Depends how leaden your foot was. If the graph is to be believed as a proper reflection then it suggests a couple of periods of circa a mile when you were using more than '600wh/m' and peaking to the 900. Over such a distance the implication is that the national speed limit didn't apply....

It's predicting the range based upon the last 15 miles. If you want to know how far you'd get based on road conditions and normal driving, punch in a destination about 170 miles away and look at the "trip" chart. I've found this to be quite reliable, although it does tend to be a little conservative. My guess it the range will be higher than what you see there.