TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Went for a test drive- WOW!

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by AMPd, Sep 19, 2013.

1. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Couple of things
    • The acceleration is AMAZING!!! I punched it a few times and WOW!
    • The car looks gorgeous in person!
    • It's much smaller than I anticipated- which I like!
    • The car is so smooth and quiet I had a hard time going the speed limit

Did I mention the acceleration!!! Wow

I was having a hard time getting used to the regen but near the end of the drive I improved my performance in that department. I kept letting go of the throttle as if I was going to coast but the regen is so strong it felt like I hit the brakes harder than needed. No big deal I'm sure ill get better.
    I know regen can be turned off but I like not having to use brakes much

I definitely can't afford a model S at the moment but I can safely say this will be my next car purchase, there is just nothing like it!

That acceleration!!! I can't stop thinking about it!

2. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

3. Newscutter

Newscutter Member

Lower, perhaps. Shorter, maybe. But unless you're currently driving a Hummer H1, I don't see how the width could be smaller! :wink:

4. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Yes it was lower, I just pictured a bigger car for some reason
    in the photos it looks huge, in person it's smaller

i love that though!

5. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

I actually had a similar thought when I test drove the Model S in March. Now, it's no subcompact, but it was definitely smaller than I was expecting (just goes to show that I was expecting it to be absolutely HUGE)

6. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

It was a performance model with standard suspension

it was so smooth I though it was air suspension

7. ACDriveMotor

ACDriveMotor Member

Did you drive a P or an S?

8. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Performance
    And boy was it fast, every time I'd hit the throttle I got the "tesla grin", amazing acceleration, I was waiting for a jerking when the transmission changes gears but... Nope no transmission!

9. earlyretirement

earlyretirement Model X 90D

Ha, ha. EVERY time I let one of my "car guy" friends drive it they are blown away. Even the ones that are convinced or tried to convince themselves they would hate it are amazed. They use words like "scary fast" "acceleration is intoxicating" "addictive" . Most tell me after driving my P85 their cars feel sluggish and slow. LOL.

I won't get tired of driving this car....

10. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

How do you have 405 posts here, a member since Nov 2012, live in Northern California, and you just went for a test drive yesterday??? What took so long?? lol!

11. jas

jas Member

Smaller? That's REALLY a first. I've watched Model S' barely fit in traffic lanes.

12. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

LOL
    I didn't want to waste their time before, knowing I was still ways off from saving up the money to buy one. Now I'm much closer so finally decided to test drive one!
    I guess one could say since I did not make a purchase I still wasted their time, although in my defense the service center was not that busy :) (rocklin ca service center)

13. DavidM

DavidM P2624, Delivered

AMPd - Too bad you didn't purchase the stock last year, because you could of had a Model S in your driveway right now. Well, hindsight is 20-20. Let us know when you make your purchase. Thanks for your feedback!

14. jthompson

jthompson JThompson

AMPd: Loved your comments and enthusiasm!!! As far as the size, the Tesla Model S is as long as my 2011 Toyota Sienna minivan and is wider than that same car, too! So small is not a term that goes with the Model S! Plus at 4800 pounds it weighs more than even my 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 long cab 4x4 truck!

15. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I regret that so much! Now I have to forget about that and move on
    Nothing can be done at this point. At least after the test drive I know the wait will be worth it!

Thank you!
    And about the size, I went back to the service center twice more (they already recognize me lol) and still theres something about the car that makes it seem smaller than I imagined it would be from all the photos I've seen!
    thats a good thing of course I love it's size!

16. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

My first car was a 1967 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight. It was 223" long and 80" wide compared to the Model S at 196" and 77.3". The Ninety-Eight's wheelbase was 126" compared to the Tesla at 116.5".

To fit the Olds in the garage, I would have to drive in and tap the wall, then the door would just clear the rear bumper by an inch or so. With the Tesla, I have lots of stuff stored up front in the garage, and it still fits.

It's all relative....

17. fastcars

fastcars Member

I felt the opposite i.e. it is big not small by any angle. I like the car as all of us but like to have smaller tire size , overall size and total cost i.e. genIII or anything else available when I am in market

18. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

I came to the Model S from an SUV world, and of course the Roadster. The S is huge! I can fit any of my bikes in the back without taking a wheel off; better than most of the SUVs. That is big; well not as big as my Suburban 2500, 7.4L, but still its a big car by any angle...

19. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

Like you, I took my first test drive yesterday. I drove from Chattanooga down to Marietta, GA and, even though I have been a fanboy for many months, I was still completely blown away. Unlike you, I went ahead and placed my order for an 85 right there at the service center. It is supposed to be delivered in "late November". WooooHoooo!

20. texex91

texex91 Banned

Awesome Chipper!! CONGRATS IN ADVANCE!