Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Went from 2020 MY to 2022 and Regen Braking option gone, lower regen too

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I changed from a 2020 MY to a new 2022, and have noticed one pedal driving doesn't work as well any more. Also, the option to set Regen level isn't there any more (or I can't find it).

I don't know if this is due to a software update (running 10.12.3 FSD Beta), or something about the new MY.

Either way, it's a loss of functionality. I really miss the one pedal driving.

Anyone know what happened?

Thanks.

One-pedal driving should still work. You might feel that regen has been lowered a bit, depending on the software version you were running on your 2020. II'm under the impression that regen is lower on my 2020 than it was in the past so it's not a model-year thing... The option to reduce regen is gone, regen is always set to normal on 2021 and up cars.

Reactions: Big Earl
Regen choice (low or standard) is gone on new tesla model 3 / Ys. I dont remember when it was removed, but it was removed and does not appear that it will ever come back for cars that dont have it any longer. My model 3 (2018) still has regen choice, but the 2022 doesnt and likely wont.

Reactions: 101dals
Unfortunate - the default (only) level of regen is definitely less than it was before the change. Hardly ever needed the brake before, now need it or the car would drift into the intersection at a light (or hit whoever is in front of me). Probably also losing some energy gain back into the battery.

I have the option on my 2020, and the standard mode feels lower regen than it used to. I feel like I use my brakes more too... so that's independent of whether the option is there or not. I don't believe 2022 have less regen, I think we all got less regen in some software update...

Unfortunate - the default (only) level of regen is definitely less than it was before the change. Hardly ever needed the brake before, now need it or the car would drift into the intersection at a light (or hit whoever is in front of me). Probably also losing some energy gain back into the battery.

Perhaps you are not in the right stopping mode (which is different from the low / normal regen setting).

One pedal driving is still possible since the car now only has the "normal" regen setting, and if you were using 1 pedal driving you would not have been using the low setting. For what you are describing, the regen choice would not impact you.

The car still does regen and slows as I back off the accelerator, but not like before. It was much more "aggressive" before (and better suited to 1 pedal driving and modulating speed with the accelerator). I guess it's the way it will be.

The car still does regen and slows as I back off the accelerator, but not like before. It was much more "aggressive" before (and better suited to 1 pedal driving and modulating speed with the accelerator). I guess it's the way it will be.

And what stopping mode are you in?

Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 12.44.18 PM.png

Regen braking aggressiveness is also affected by battery charge level. Look at the energy bar. When regen braking, the bar moves left and is green. If your battery is highly charged, regenerative braking is reduced. This is indicated on the energy bar on the left side by a broken or dashed line.

Regen braking aggressiveness is also affected by battery charge level. Look at the energy bar. When regen braking, the bar moves left and is green. If your battery is highly charged, regenerative braking is reduced. This is indicated on the energy bar on the left side by a broken or dashed line.
Yes. This is the same as on my 2020 MY. When battery charge level is high it also issues a note when you first start out to let you know that regen is currently limited.

Maybe a future update will put the regen profile back the way it was. At high speed, regen is the same (or close to it) as it was before. At low speed, it definitely seems reduced.

If you're referring to that last couple feet & mpg, I think that is for everyone. I have the beta so maybe that is different but I noticed awhile ago that it does not stop as fast or sharp and I had to retrain to get it to stop at the right spot. When I park in the garage, it actually rolls back an inch or two..

That said, the basic stopping from say 40-60 mph seems about the same. It just seems that last bit is different

vers 2022.12.3.20, august 2020 build.