TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Went from a 70D to a P90D... Holy cow what a difference

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by SoCal Jimmy, Aug 14, 2016.

1. SoCal Jimmy

SoCal Jimmy Member

We purchased a 70D a while back and ended up returning it for reasons I don't want to get into at the moment.

Late last week an inventory P90D popped up with 3200 miles on the odometer. Had pretty much every option except Ludicrous and the pricing made it hard to pass up even though it wasn't my first choice in color, Red. Needless to say though, at a $31,000 discount off sticker, i jumped on it and picked it up today.

I must say I never test drove a 90D or P90D for that matter because it was way more than I was looking to spend on a lease and didn't want to tempt myself. But holy cow does this thing move. It's night and day difference compared to my 70.

Expecting months and miles of fun driving this around for the next couple years.

• Like x 1
  2. davidc18

davidc18 Member

3. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

Now you will have the REAL smile.... have fun.

BTW, the P90D non ludicrous is pretty uncommon. I would be interested to know what your 90% charge rated miles are. After 6 months my 90% is 236 rated miles, however I usually just charge up to 70% on a daily basis.

4. bonaire

bonaire Active Member

#4 bonaire, Aug 14, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    An almost $10.00/mile discounting is pretty good :)
    Must be the classic front-end.

5. deonb

deonb Active Member

$10/mile

6. bonaire

bonaire Active Member

Sorry, didn't include the decimal. I'll edit that.

7. smoline

smoline Member

You can always add Ludicrous post-sale I believe (if you have $10K burning a hole in your pocket!).

8. SoCal Jimmy

SoCal Jimmy Member

Yeah, that won't be happening anytime soon ;)

9. SoCal Jimmy

SoCal Jimmy Member

That is correct.

Would have loved the facelift but the lease difference was roughly $1700 a month to my $1023

10. Shuasha

Shuasha Member

I was just wondering what the turn around time on an inventory car was.. I guess it's a week. :)

11. SoCal Jimmy

SoCal Jimmy Member

If it's a car locally to you, then yes. We contemplated picking up a car from the east coast prior to that and it added about 7-10 days to the process.

12. Shuasha

Shuasha Member

That's fine, you want 2 weeks out to book a cheaper flight anyway.

13. apharris

apharris Member

What is the downside to buying an S from Inventory? It seems that the upside is (1) More car for the money, especially from perspective of option upgrades (including getting a 90D instead of a 75); (2) Almost immediate gratification insofar as getting in you new S within days (I would fly out anywhere and drive it back to Arizona where I live); (3) Usually at least a $10-15K discount from sticker. The only downside I see is getting a "New" vehicle with a couple thousand miles on it already. Any comments?

14. bonaire

bonaire Active Member

But you do not sit online for the month watching it go through the status changes, the Vin # assignment, the chatting up with others and the "constant anxiety" of when it will show up? That is worth at least $10k on the sticker price :) I do think there is validity to the fact of paying full price for "my car" versus one that has been touched and driven by others is a factor. And by full price, I mean inclusive of $1000 referral discount linkage.

15. hillestadk

hillestadk Member

Are these types of discounts exclusive to the classic front end cars? Recently a lot of refreshed MS have showed up in new inventory in FL.

16. SoCal Jimmy

SoCal Jimmy Member

yes, classic nose cone. The refresh models aren't discounted very much.

17. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

In fact, many actually prefer the classic nose to the refreshed nose.....

Once the 3 comes out, you will probably not be able to tell the difference between a refreshed S or a 3 in your rear view mirror.... not so with the Classic S.

18. azdryheat

azdryheat Member

This issue with us used vs new was the front end refresh, which also included a few other features. If you can get over that, there are some great deals out there right now. Need someone to drive it back to AZ?

19. apharris

apharris Member

I might be willing to take on a co-pilot...but I will have to interview her first.

20. azdryheat

azdryheat Member

:D