Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Went to iPace event tonight...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@stevejust Thanks for sharing the photos. The initial impressions from the automotive press were mostly positive. It will be interesting to read the reviews of the final production version.

It is a shame that the Land Rover and Jaguar reliability ratings are poor. I owned one Land Rover and only had minor issues. Perhaps the electric Jaguars will have fewer problems.

Thanks for the report. Cool that Jag makes an EV but what were they thinking with the touchscreen way down on the middle console? No chance of seeing what you're doing without having the passenger hold the wheel or stopping the car...

• Disagree
Reactions: cizUK
I think the iPace will meet a segment somewhere, although I have to disagree with one article I read that it was up against the Model X, when it only comes with 5 seats. More like a Model Y competitor, although I expect the Y will cost less.

Fully Charged (youtube channel) did some nice videos on it, and it certainly should have a nice interior as that's what Jag do best. Reliability on many Jags is iffy though. Laughable for historical models, and irritatingly bad for the Ford-owned years. It has improved somewhat, but considering all things, progress still to be made.

NB: I'm convinced they stole the sound from the London Underground trains moving off.

Man, if only Jaguar would do an electric XJ220

Last edited:
Reactions: cizUK
I think the iPace will meet a segment somewhere, although I have to disagree with one article I read that it was up against the Model X, when it only comes with 5 seats. More like a Model Y competitor, although I expect the Y will cost less.

Indeed - a segment for now of its own. The Audi and Mercedes electric SUVs will possibly be the closest competitors, whereas the Porsche is likely to be a notch, if not a
large notch, more expensive.
A review from a German perspective (in English) can be seen here. It contains quite a few remarks relating to its potential competitors that the author has already driven in early versions. Most (European) reviewers agree that the car is very good to drive with a marked sporty feel. As one of them remarked in German: "Driving a Tesla Model X feels like riding a "pregnant blue whale" in comparison." (My translation). Test drives for prospective buyers will become available from about end of August in Switzerland. The introduction event was held beginning July and it was possible to have a good look at the car then.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lasairfion
One of the real problems with I-Pace is the range at highway speeds. Buying a car that price should at least make it possible to drive for a long time at 80 Mph but because of bad CW it consumes about 40% more then f.i. a Model S, which is a bigger car with much more space.
In Germany(!) that made a test that gave shocking results. It is in German unfortunately.

People who say that the iPace is a "Tesla Killer" are out of their frunking minds. I went with an open mind. I bought my father a Jaguar a little while back, because he wanted an XJ since like 1983 or something like that. Anyway... click through the gallery images to get a flavor of what it's all about:

Jaguar iPace unveiling (Dallas)
@stevejust thanks for the post! Am I missing something with the photo of the charge port...it looks like a J1772 connection only with no high power DC port. Is there a CCS or Chademo somewhere else on the car?
I was also surprised by the large cooling vent surface area on the front of the car. That must have a detrimental impact on drag coefficient.

Thanks for the photos. Honestly from what I saw of the previews in the press a while ago, if you really looked you could see the ridiculous frunk area (to cool down the battery with that hood vent up front). It looks to me like the charge port door has a little flap at the bottom to maybe allow the Combo plug. Why not leave that off?--Jaguar must feel that it would confuse J-1772 users at the "pump" LOL.

I never saw the i-Pace as something I would be attracted to. For me its looks have a more old-person car appeal over all and I'm sure it will have it's loyalist Jag owners behind it. I just don't see buying a car with really little cargo space. Do not understand how this is suppose to be used as taxi's unless it's just passenger ones with no ability to store luggage for taxi services going to the airport and picking up people. Do you ask people to hold their luggage on their laps?

I never understood why EV/alternative vehicles over the years had to look so odd. stupid mindset
I think a lot of that has to do with the huge success of the Toyota Prius, which was the first "green" car that managed to enter the mainstream and seemed to prove that the target audience preferred odd looks.
It looks to me like the charge port door has a little flap at the bottom to maybe allow the Combo plug. Why not leave that off?
Perhaps to prevent rain water from entering while charging from a regular J1772 plug? All CCS ports I have see so far have a protective cap for the DC pins.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset