Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Went to pick up Used Model X.....lots of rust and pitting on brake calipers....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I have ordered and paid for a used MX, 100D LR, pearl white, black leather interior, FSD, free supercharging, FSD. $72,000, 45,000miles

I went to pick it up and at my touchless delivery appointment, a few things rubbed me the wrong way.

One was that no one even walked me to the car and they just said 'go and unlock it with your phone, accept delivery' I had to walk back into the dealership (car was parked outside) just to ask that they open it up so I can inspect the inside before "accepting delivery' on my iphone. Then they opened up the drivers door for me, and left me out there and I couldnt even unlock the other doors bc she took the key with her. Wasnt a great delivery experience. On top of that, I said 'hey this interior doesnt feel super high end, and the seat recline of the front seat even made some like click click noise'.

I also saw that the front right brake caliper had significant pitting on the exterior. I was informed this is just cosmetic and does not affect braking. Its just a bit disheartening to get all excited for a car and then see something like that. Might do this

So I left and went to a BMW dealership to test drive a X5. Despite the fact I had already paid for the MX.

I have until tomorrow (Monday) to decide if I want to take the Model X. Ive got to say I dont feel so impressed with the interior seats, and leather upholstry of the MX.

However, I am still leaning towards the MX because
-going all electric...meeting cool people at superchargers....not having to smell gas stations
-i know the navigation will be SOOO much easier with the integrated google maps and huge screen
-navigate on autopilot is something I want to experience
-i am convinced the MX is much safer than the X5.....with the automatic emergency braking, shorter stopping distance, better performance in frontal and side crash, less rollover risk, larger crumple zone
-the car will evolve with new software updates
-ive been planning to get a MX for 6 months, and i guess i feel ive gotten cold feet at the end and gotten focused on small defects and on the higher level of lux interior of the bmw....i think i should just stick with my original plan
- i think i'll just get 'used to' the level of luxury trim/seats in either the MX or bmw X5.....the seats are also equally comfortable as far as i could tell (tho the MX has no adjustable lumbar ) and i think that over time, what will more greatly affect my driving experience will be the better technology on the Tesla, the better acceleration and handling....just a better actual driving experience even though some of the materials feel a bit less refined than bmw

i guess the one point that has be considering the bmw X5 is that the interior FEELS so much nicer and it has a huge sunroof, which i really like to open the sunroof. however, i dont think thats worth the trade off of : less safe, still a polluting car, navi will be a pain, loud, will have a lot of mechanical expense and maintenance expenses after 50k miles or so, slower, no emergency active braking

Help me out here guys, what are your thoughts?

I will pick up the MX or buy a 2017 BMW X5 loaded with options at $45,000. I will sleep on it and decide tomorrow.

For those of you with significant experience using Navigate on Autopilot, would you say that this feature is one that you use regularly for 1-3 hour highway trips? Does it really make the driving experience easier and less stressful? Do you at all feel that it causes you to drive less safely or less attentively?

Attachments

• tesla.jpg
    tesla.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 152
Hi Mpkelly20,

The FSD and autopilot at their latest revisions with software
are much less stressful than "manual" driving...
I enjoyed a trip from south Michigan to south Florida in January.

You must remain attentive but with the car's help it is much less tiring...

Good Luck,

Shawn

Reactions: wreighven
OK I am picking up the Tesla MX tomorrow
Good choice. Now here are a few comments on some of your items, in no particular order.

Then they opened up the drivers door for me, and left me out there and I couldnt even unlock the other doors bc she took the key with her.
Once inside, all doors can be opened from the touchscreen. But Totally understandable if you didn’t know that.

tho the MX has no adjustable lumbar

yes, it does.
00F92514-1B80-4FBB-B54B-D24862DCF3F7.jpeg

For those of you with significant experience using Navigate on Autopilot, would you say that this feature is one that you use regularly for 1-3 hour highway trips? Does it really make the driving experience easier and less stressful? Do you at all feel that it causes you to drive less safely or less attentively?
Absolutely. Just used it for 400 miles today. The early days of autopilot were pretty glitchy, but it is amazing now. More restful drive. Much safer. Never going back to a car without it.

Wasnt a great delivery experience.
Sorry to hear, but that is how it often is. The cars are so phenomenal that it outweighs the pain of Tesla’s less than optimal human interactions.

meeting cool people at superchargers
Ha! That experience might not live up to your expectations either. The supercharger atmosphere is usually pretty isolated in my experience.

So Im literally at the Tesla dealership now to pick this car up.

I opened the falcon wing doors and trunk, and they will only open to a ‘low’ height at which anyone would bump their head.

The staff here informed me this is due to a software update and cannot be changed for them to open to full height. The controls on the big screen control center show that i can only choose ‘automatic’ or ‘low’.

When I was shown a model X for test drive, it was specifically shown to me that the falcon doors open all the way up to the highest settings.

Michael

Hahhahah white with black youll never go back!!! Thats amazing

OK I am picking up the Tesla MX tomorrow
I just want to say I second / third all these posts encouraging you to move forward. I've had my X for 4 months, and have put a little more than 10,000 miles on it. I've owned several Porsche's, and some other decently high-end vehicles. Yes, some of the other automakers have some features that are nicer than what I have in my X, but it's not much (air-cooled seats maybe, but my 911 at the time didn't have that). You cannot match the level of navigation with seamless charging, NoA, AutoPilot, etc. that comes with a Tesla. The FWD and auto-presenting doors are so much FUN, and are a conversation piece. There's a huge community of enthusiasts out there at SuperChargers, or your nearest restaurant people who want to know what a Tesla is like. Once you move to Tesla and have one for a week, you'll "get it."

It really changes your driving experience. When I drive my wife's Porsche, or my 1794 Edition Tundra 4x4 (to do lawn / property work), it's like going back in time.

They will open fully as long as Automatic (not low) is their setting and it is not near a low roof that it has sensed overhead. For example, my MX knows in my garage to only open the doors low because it has a proximity sensor in the roof. But when I park in the driveway they still open low because of the proximity to the garage. A little further away and they will open fully.

So Im literally at the Tesla dealership now to pick this car up.

I opened the falcon wing doors and trunk, and they will only open to a ‘low’ height at which anyone would bump their head.

The staff here informed me this is due to a software update and cannot be changed for them to open to full height. The controls on the big screen control center show that i can only choose ‘automatic’ or ‘low’.

When I was shown a model X for test drive, it was specifically shown to me that the falcon doors open all the way up to the highest settings.

Michael
This is incorrect. You can change this easily. Don't worry, it's a non-issue. The poster above explains how to fix it.

Reactions: streetskooler
Thank you for the support guys.

Is there anything I can do to fold down this center seat?

Is it possible to totally remove it with the right tools?

Im pretty sure I can fit my cannondale road bike in back here, with the wheel taken off, even with the ‘center seat immovible’

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 508B2A86-48B5-4209-A40C-C27F57F1D993.jpeg
    508B2A86-48B5-4209-A40C-C27F57F1D993.jpeg
    286.9 KB · Views: 92

Im pretty sure I can fit my cannondale road bike in back here, with the wheel taken off, even with the ‘center seat immovible’

Thoughts?
I'm trying to figure out what you have going on there. It's like you have a 6 seater where someone added a 7th seat between the two captains chairs in the 2nd row. Never seen that before.

that's just the older 7 seat design before they moved to the more inexpensive bench for the 7 seater X.

also, the FWD have a memory -- if they have driven under something low, like a garage/shop entry/exit or even one of those height marker beams, they will open low until the car is driven out of that area. You can drive the car around the block in open air and the doors should open normally after that. the reason for this is that many situations require this behavior to avoid hitting the doors on something overhead. for example, when entering a parking garage there is usually a low entry marked with the height of the garage. Once you are inside the garage, the ceiling height varies -- there's beams and pipes and metal poles and stuff up there in random places. If the car didn't "remember" that entry height beam, it would open the FWD fully just because the X is between some overhead beams, but the door would strike the beam a few feet over from your parking spot. Instead, the car opens the doors lower, assuming a solid ceiling is present at the height of that lower entry into the garage.

I hope that makes sense, it is hard to explain why the doors don't always open fully, especially if the car is parked outside in the open air. Basically the car trusts the sensors AND the history of the sensor more than just the sensor's current reading. If it didn't, you'd probably hit the doors on something eventually.

You can press and hold the door open button to force the FWD to open fully manually.

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX and wreighven

Thoughts?
Return it, and get a new 5 or 7 seater..........Kidding....... Welcome to the Tesla Team! :D

• Funny
Reactions: wreighven