Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Went to pick up Used Model X.....lots of rust and pitting on brake calipers....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dude, yer a rock star because you selected Tesla over a BMW, congrats. Quit complaining about your seat , and give us some compliments on your new car.

And HEPA should be replaced until, once you smell the horrible ICE vehicle smells that are not filtered with your current HEPA, assuming you know how to enable the Bio-Defense function on your new car, if it has it.

Welcome my friend, you did, as I suggested, make the right decision.....

Yo! You are totally right! I actually think the seat is pretty comfortable overall...

I agree with you! The awesome things of the car are too many to list. The autopilot makes it soooo easy....the navi on the fly....the phone call interface....i stress free took 3 phone calls while driving 50 miles on autopilot to a infamiliar destination...it was sooo easy and stress free. Now im supercharging this beauty and about to eat a portillos hot dog.

Pulling 95 kw at the moment one a 120kw max station.

The car opens when i walk up, the i terior ambient lighting, the FIRE MODE haahhaahaha campfire romantic!!!

Not to mention it just feels soooo great to drive. Handling and acceleration is worlds above the bmw x5.

Ill share a photo of her right now

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    737.3 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 48
Here's an update about where I am with this one, for those of you who are following my story in some way or another.....

(I posted this as a separate thread as well)

So I'm sitting here while my Tesla drip charges from a 110V wall outlet.....through the kitchen window (all I have for now at my home)

Ive been reliant on Superchargers since I got the car about a week ago... maybe 4 charges so far

Today after I supercharged at Rockford, IL to 51%

119 miles to my home, I got back on the highway,

set it to cruise at 75mph and started getting warnings within 10 minutes. (you must drive under 70mph to make it to your destination) ...I felt this was a bit pre-mature...

Those eventually went away even though I kept it at 75-80mph.....

I arrived home with around 8% battery remaining at 8:10AM . Maybe 65 degrees F out.

At 1:50pm I got in, it took maybe 30 seconds for the dash and big screen to turn on.....showed 0%

I drove 3 miles roundtrip, the whole while it warning me 'charge immediately to avoid battery damage or car not restarting'

Been charging for 4.5 hours now and shows 1%.

I contacted my Used Delivery Rep and waiting to hear back ab this.
The remote service team she contacted about this issue said they see 6.6%+ non their end.....

First time I supercharged at a 120kw station, left it for 2 hours...got to around 96% charge. I ran it down to 0% before my next charge and it showed that I had used 65kwh since my last charge and maybe 198 miles.... I thought this was pretty low. I mean during that charge I had been flooring it and accelerating hard bc it was my first time really driving the car for fun, but I drove most of the while in a reasonable way..... I can' understand how I only used 65 kWh since being at 96% charge.

I can't help but feel that the range of this car is below what I expected.

Attachments

• IMG_8270.JPG
    IMG_8270.JPG
    848.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_8272.JPG
    IMG_8272.JPG
    337.4 KB · Views: 44
You are scaring me man! An electric car battery is not a gas tank and should not regularly be run from full to empty, or even close.

119 miles to my home, I got back on the highway.

...I arrived home with around 8% battery remaining at 8:10AM . Maybe 65 degrees F out.
I would never have only charged to 51% to drive my 2017 100D model X for 119 miles at 75-80 miles. At a minimum, I assume I will need 115% +30 miles buffer, which would have translated to 60% starting charge. In the winter, I bump that to a 125% factor, or even 130% for extremely cold temps.

The “rated miles” shown on the instrument cluster is not a range to empty..... that info is on the energy graphs you can get to on the large screen. Actual miles should be expected to be much less than rated miles. A rated mile equals an actual mile only under very specific conditions that are rarely all present.

But that being said, you got 119 miles out of 43% of the battery.... that scales up to 277 actual miles for the full battery, which I consider very, very good for traveling 75-80 mph. You were saved by it being 65 F outside. That is a near ideal temp for driving a Tesla.

.got to around 96% charge. I ran it down to 0% before my next charge and it showed that I had used 65kwh since my last charge and maybe 198 miles.... I can' understand how I only used 65 kWh since being at 96% charge.
The car uses energy while it just sits. The 65 kWh that it shows in the trip meter is only what was used while driving. First thing you should check is whether you have “always connected” checked in one of the menus. I believe it is in the display menu. It is only on MCU1 cars (built before March 2018). It drains the battery horribly while the car is just sitting. If you have an AP2.5 car, you also have sentry mode, which can take quite an energy hit.

You are scaring me man! An electric car battery is not a gas tank and should not regularly be run from full to empty, or even close.

I would never have only charged to 51% to drive my 2017 100D model X for 119 miles at 75-80 miles. At a minimum, I assume I will need 115% +30 miles buffer, which would have translated to 60% starting charge. In the winter, I bump that to a 125% factor, or even 130% for extremely cold temps.

The “rated miles” shown on the instrument cluster is not a range to empty..... that info is on the energy graphs you can get to on the large screen. Actual miles should be expected to be much less than rated miles. A rated mile equals an actual mile only under very specific conditions that are rarely all present.

But that being said, you got 119 miles out of 43% of the battery.... that scales up to 277 actual miles for the full battery, which I consider very, very good for traveling 75-80 mph. You were saved by it being 65 F outside. That is a near ideal temp for driving a Tesla.

The car uses energy while it just sits. The 65 kWh that it shows in the trip meter is only what was used while driving. First thing you should check is whether you have “always connected” checked in one of the menus. I believe it is in the display menu. It is only on MCU1 cars (built before March 2018). It drains the battery horribly while the car is just sitting. If you have an AP2.5 car, you also have sentry mode, which can take quite an energy hit.

Thank you for the tip, I'm going to check the 'always connected' box right now....

The way I feel about your first comments: If the car is not designed to go down to 0%, the instruments in the car should be calibrated such that 0% =. __%. (whatever percent IS acceptable to go down to)

I would hypothesize that that is INDEED the case right now. I.e. Tesla engineers have designed 0% on the display to really correlate to 10% SOC......

Plus you must factor in that there is almost certainly a 'safety factor'. its probably possible to drive to -5% or -10% . Just like a gasoline car you can get like 40 miles after the 'empty' signal comes on

I highly doubt Tesla would design technology which requires you to do the 'math' of 'OK, the battery says 13% and I have 35 miles left, but I can really only take the battery to 10%, so I only have 8 miles left in actuality)

That would be so silly to put that burden on the consumer to have to read between the lines, going Tesla Motors Club, do research, just to use the battery within its design parameters.

My conclusion. Display 0% SOC really equals actual SOC of ~10%

Why else would the energy graph also go all the way down to -25%?? ?

Oh my.

There is indeed a battery buffer, but I don’t think it’s anywhere near 10%. But regardless, are you aware that it is possible to brick your battery, for it to totally die and not be able to be revived? It’s not like a gas tank where you just need someone to bring you a gallon of emergency fuel. Please spend a little time to read the owner’s manual, especially the battery information section.

There are Tesla owners who are extreme in never wanting the car to go below 50%, but you seem to be the other extreme. Extreme highs and extreme lows really aren’t good for the battery. I do them when necessitated for a trip segment, but in day to day use, what is the point in going above 90% and below 20% without a need?

And what energy graph is going down to -25%? The energy graphs are in units of Wh/mile and they go negative because you can put energy back into the battery as you go downhill and from regenerative braking.

• Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA
Here's an update about where I am with this one, for those of you who are following my story in some way or another.....

(I posted this as a separate thread as well)

So I'm sitting here while my Tesla drip charges from a 110V wall outlet.....through the kitchen window (all I have for now at my home)

Ive been reliant on Superchargers since I got the car about a week ago... maybe 4 charges so far

119 miles to my home, I got back on the highway,

set it to cruise at 75mph and started getting warnings within 10 minutes. (you must drive under 70mph to make it to your destination) ...I felt this was a bit pre-mature...

Those eventually went away even though I kept it at 75-80mph.....

I arrived home with around 8% battery remaining at 8:10AM . Maybe 65 degrees F out.

At 1:50pm I got in, it took maybe 30 seconds for the dash and big screen to turn on.....showed 0%

I drove 3 miles roundtrip, the whole while it warning me 'charge immediately to avoid battery damage or car not restarting'

Been charging for 4.5 hours now and shows 1%.

I contacted my Used Delivery Rep and waiting to hear back ab this.
The remote service team she contacted about this issue said they see 6.6%+ non their end.....

First time I supercharged at a 120kw station, left it for 2 hours...got to around 96% charge. I ran it down to 0% before my next charge and it showed that I had used 65kwh since my last charge and maybe 198 miles.... I thought this was pretty low. I mean during that charge I had been flooring it and accelerating hard bc it was my first time really driving the car for fun, but I drove most of the while in a reasonable way..... I can' understand how I only used 65 kWh since being at 96% charge.

I can't help but feel that the range of this car is below what I expected.
Pack probably just needs to be balanced. Charge to 90% and keep it there for a couple days if you can.

Oh my.

There is indeed a battery buffer, but I don’t think it’s anywhere near 10%. But regardless, are you aware that it is possible to brick your battery, for it to totally die and not be able to be revived? It’s not like a gas tank where you just need someone to bring you a gallon of emergency fuel. Please spend a little time to read the owner’s manual, especially the battery information section.

There are Tesla owners who are extreme in never wanting the car to go below 50%, but you seem to be the other extreme. Extreme highs and extreme lows really aren’t good for the battery. I do them when necessitated for a trip segment, but in day to day use, what is the point in going above 90% and below 20% without a need?

And what energy graph is going down to -25%? The energy graphs are in units of Wh/mile and they go negative because you can put energy back into the battery as you go downhill and from regenerative braking.
With some packs the optimal travel zone is between 5% and 60% for supercharging speed. (Turn and burn)

Others hate being taken below 10% and require a bit more care and a bit more patience building extra buffer and or slowing down. Personally I’ve had no issues or accelerated apparent wear regularly going below 20%. We also regularly charge to 90% and keep plugged in for more normal day to day.

Oh my.

The -25% is in the 'energy' menu..... click on not 'consumption'. but the other option...... this is the line graph that shows your predicted and actual energy usage from Origin to Destination.

This goes down to -25%

This fact would imply that that a -10% is indeed possible. This may be used as a diagnostics tool for tesla to track if people have gone to -10% on the 'graph'. which probably really corresponds to actual 0% on the battery

Otherwise how do you explain this 'negative' territory?

Why go below 20%? Because there is a need, the need of prompt transportation. If i'm taking a road trip, sometimes I may want to minimize stops in the interest of expediency. Therefore, I would choose to use the full range of my vehicle as per the technological instruments which monitor this. If these instruments allow me to go to a '0%' which compromises the long term usability of my battery, then this is a problem. It puts the onus on the consumer to be the engineer. It would be like building a bridge rated only for the stated load, or a wheelbarrow rated only for the stated load, without a design factor. It would never happen in any competent engineering world. I highly doubt Tesla has neglected a safety factor here.

Let's say I am wrong and going to 0% indeed leads to battery degredation which would materially and significantly impact the future range of the vehicle. Even in that case, I'll still take it to zero, because I respect my time, time is money.'

If my car eventually has 85% or 80%, or 70% of original battery capacity, I'll sell it and get a new one with 100%. To do any otherwise and to put my car's 'battery health based on an assumption of future decline in capacity which'. would be to value money before my own time. This type of thinking is what leads to poverty, that money is worth more than your own time. A man who wishes to build his wealth must value his time as the utmost and most precious commodity, above resale value of the car, above dollars. Time comes first.

As a guy who's beat his car up pretty good, not that I want to do, sometimes you can't help what you do! I do want to say that you should be careful about that 0% estimate. this is all based on EPA estimated miles, Tesla's battery management system, and 7000 cells which are not all identical. Sometimes we have gone to zero and been okay, sometimes gotten to 2% and run out of battery. I definitely keep more than 5% anytime I can. Not that I always do! But that's the plan anyway.

Something doesn’t quite add up here. I’d definitely ask for Tesla Service to look into it. At the very least, they can do a remote diagnostic.

“I arrived home with around 8% battery remaining at 8:10AM . Maybe 65 degrees F out.​

At 1:50pm I got in, it took maybe 30 seconds for the dash and big screen to turn on.....showed 0%​

I drove 3 miles roundtrip, the whole while it warning me 'charge immediately to avoid battery damage or car not restarting'​

Been charging for 4.5 hours now and shows 1%“​