Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Went to test drive a Model 3 in preparation for my Model Y pre-order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recommend that you wait until you can test drive a Tesla Model Y before you place your order. That way you'll know exactly what you'll get in a Model Y.
I agree, I am just losing confidence that the Y will meet my needs and I am extremely anxious to be a Tesla owner, lol. I will try to hold out as I think the used Model X market could get even more competitive once the Model Y comes out.

@mswlogo thanks for taking the time to put all that down! funny but some of the stuff i've been reading makes me think twice, but not for long. for one thing, my current car has about 4 different ways to do anything, whether it's change the music, make a call, whatever. i have a '17 MB e-300 4-matic, nice car but too much glitz and not enough safety stuff. the fully equipped model was another $20k. so i am looking forward to the simplified interface as well.

I took delivery of a Model S in 2013. I loved the car. So many positives and very few negatives. Years ahead of any other car at the time in many ways (autopilot, performance, comfort). We bought an X for my wife. I don't love the X. The gull wing doors are stupid. Really slow to open and it seems more than half the time, we are in a parking space that constrains how far they will open (including our garage which has limited space above -- typical due to the garage opener tracks) and when parking next to someone, you have to squeeze in/out of the doors. I have a Y on order (June/2019). I like the smaller size of the Y (easier to park in compact spots) and yet we can still carry enough gear and the dog for most everything. I have ridden in a 3 and it doesn't have quite the same level of luxury as the S or X but the performance, handling and comfort seem more than adequate for our needs.

Is the older MCU a problem? I've seen some people complain about it being slow.
My MCU1 is certainly slower than our Model 3. But, for me, it’s a car. Doesn’t really bother me that it takes a bit longer to calculate a route.

I will say that the old internet browser doesn’t work. Again, to me it’s a car and not a web browser.

probably the biggest concern with mcu1 is the eMMC memory chip has wear issues and is a risk.

If needing a larger car I would get a Model S way before Model X

Only reason I got an X instead of an S is because in order to justify it, it needed to tow 4000 lbs. Model S is very nice looking, more efficient and cheaper. But I would not go with it, for a family of more than 4.

FWD: sometimes I love them, sometimes they are a pain in butt. No Tesla is perfect.

Reactions: jboy210
I can's see every owning an S and love the X. I much prefer the upright driving position. And since the X outsells the S, I gather I am not alone.
overall i agree in the upright ride for everyday, for visibility and ease of entry. but once in a while it's nice to climb down (not so easy anymore) and enjoy a grand tourer. i have a bmw 840 for the weekends... a very interesting car for it's time and drives like a dream

I recommend that you wait until you can test drive a Tesla Model Y before you place your order. That way you'll know exactly what you'll get in a Model Y.
When I took a test drive of a 3 (and loved it, btw) I asked when they would get a Model Y in for a test drive and was told they wouldn't get any for many months after the production ramped up! So be prepared for an even longer wait if you go that route. Just FYI and things may be different in larger cities. I test drove in Portland, Oregon.

overall i agree in the upright ride for everyday, for visibility and ease of entry. but once in a while it's nice to climb down (not so easy anymore) and enjoy a grand tourer. i have a bmw 840 for the weekends... a very interesting car for it's time and drives like a dream

Had a BMW 6 series, considered the 8. While I liked both cars they are just not for me any more. Too low in traffic where there are people in their jacked up pickups texting and riding your rear bumper,. Also, unless it was a Tesla Roadster 2 most ICE grand tourers would be a step backward in performance.

Had a BMW 6 series, considered the 8. While I liked both cars they are just not for me any more. Too low in traffic where there are people in their jacked up pickups texting and riding your rear bumper,. Also, unless it was a Tesla Roadster 2 most ICE grand tourers would be a step backward in performance.
definitely a step down in performance. but still at my age it's sort of a nice reminder of days gone past, with its quiet v8 and yes, sports car low seating. i agree, would not drive it daily, but since it's long paid for and insurance as a classic is cheap, no reason not to keep it around. in particular have read on here and elsewhere that sometimes it can take a couple of weeks for a big tesla repair, so why not have a nice spare?
stein bmw.jpg

When I took a test drive of a 3 (and loved it, btw) I asked when they would get a Model Y in for a test drive and was told they wouldn't get any for many months after the production ramped up! So be prepared for an even longer wait if you go that route. Just FYI and things may be different in larger cities. I test drove in Portland, Oregon.

Test drove an X this weekend. They said it will be April, maybe May before they will get a Y in the showroom. This was in Scottsdale.