Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

West Coast Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
8/23 - Received SA’s email after the test drive, “If you are interested in taking delivery in September I recommend starting the order process today. If you are unable to secure a build slot for September, you will be looking at a December delivery date.”
8/24 - Ordered.
9/2 - Delivery in 1-3 weeks text.
9/10 - Contacted SA, they don’t have exact date, just wait for the text.
9/15 - Estimate delivery disappeared
9/16 - Estimate delivery is back

And the waiting game continues ...

Attachments

• A4F54AC2-78EF-4E92-A56B-CB1EB4726D26.jpeg
    A4F54AC2-78EF-4E92-A56B-CB1EB4726D26.jpeg
    387 KB · Views: 51
8/23 - Received SA’s email after the test drive, “If you are interested in taking delivery in September I recommend starting the order process today. If you are unable to secure a build slot for September, you will be looking at a December delivery date.”
8/24 - Ordered.
9/2 - Delivery in 1-3 weeks text.
9/10 - Contacted SA, they don’t have exact date, just wait for the text.
9/15 - Estimate delivery disappeared
9/16 - Estimate delivery is back

And the waiting game continues ...
What is the reasoning behind the December delivery dates? Why would deliveries stop in Oct and Nov?

What is the reasoning behind the December delivery dates? Why would deliveries stop in Oct and Nov?

I think because they just create cars up to a certain point then just ship them all together in at the last month. Looks like it typically doesn't matter what month of the quarter you order, you will receive the car on the last month of the quarter. So if you order too late in the current quarter, there may not be enough cars made to match you with one so you'd have to wait for your delivery until the next quarter.

I think because they just create cars up to a certain point then just ship them all together in at the last month. Looks like it typically doesn't matter what month of the quarter you order, you will receive the car on the last month of the quarter. So if you order too late in the current quarter, there may not be enough cars made to match you with one so you'd have to wait for your delivery until the next quarter batch.

I jumped on Tesla's website and found a couple of M3's with my exact build in existing inventory in my area (Los Angeles, Orange County, and San Diego). I had the option to "Buy Now"! I was tempted to cancel my order, and just buy it online, but I was unsure of the repercussions of cancelling an order. My plan was to call my SA today and get more information. Of course when I logged in this morning, those builds were gone. Looks like I am waiting.

I jumped on Tesla's website and found a couple of M3's with my exact build in existing inventory in my area (Los Angeles, Orange County, and San Diego). I had the option to "Buy Now"! I was tempted to cancel my order, and just buy it online, but I was unsure of the repercussions of cancelling an order. My plan was to call my SA today and get more information. Of course when I logged in this morning, those builds were gone. Looks like I am waiting.
I did the same thing yesterday and they told me that those cars are still in production and wouldn't guarantee id get it any sooner. Called two different stores, my SA is MIA.

DO NOT cancel an existing order to attempt to buy an "in inventory". The truth is, those inventory cars do not exist yet and are just placeholders. Called my SA yesterday about inventory cars and he said the same thing that these cars are still in production and there is a chance you might get them later than your actual existing order.

Cancelling would actually slow you down. its entirely possible that those "buy now" cars are not actually there. You would need to contact your SA (or someone in tesla support) and ask them to switch you to one of those cars. They will be able to tell you if they actually exist and are in stock at the location they say.

My bet is "no, they are not in stock, and not available for you to buy, regardless of what the website says".

because tesla in the US (fremot) sends cars the first month and half or so of a quarter oversees for deliveries in other countries. The closer you live to Fremont california, the later you get pushed into the quarter, because that lets them deliver the most cars per quarter. If you dont get delivered in september (this quarter), and are in Chino hills, CA, you will likely take delivery sometime in mid december.

Thats the way tesla has done it in the past, anyway, and until tesla gigafactory in europe comes online, or they ship cars made in china to europe, this will likely continue.

So I talked to my SA after reading about financing offers expiring and having to be renewed. When I asked about it he said they had requested the lender extend the financing agreement to the end of the month and that it was important for me to be responsive to their messages. This indicates to me that there will be short notice and a short turn-around to take delivery of the vehicle. It gave me hope but the sense of irony about being responsive wasn't lost. I just told him that I will continue to wait and will be responsive when they send something.

I believe If the listing on the inventory states "Less than 50 mile odometer" it is a car in stock; however, if it
So I talked to my SA after reading about financing offers expiring and having to be renewed. When I asked about it he said they had requested the lender extend the financing agreement to the end of the month and that it was important for me to be responsive to their messages. This indicates to me that there will be short notice and a short turn-around to take delivery of the vehicle. It gave me hope but the sense of irony about being responsive wasn't lost. I just told him that I will continue to wait and will be responsive when they send something.
The overall buying process for a Tesla has been underwhelming.

With the BMW, I knew exactly what stage the car was at and I could track the entire shipment across the ocean.

The Corvette, I knew the exact status by the status number I was at. I didn't do it but some buyers had On-Star enabled prior to having it shipped from Bowling Green so they could track the movement of the car by rail.

With BMW and the Corvette, the build/order process was a "forward" moving progression. You might be stuck at one status for awhile but it never went from "Order Accepted" to "Waiting for Order to be Accepted".

Tesla so far has been about as accurate as their Model Y and White Paint matching with their bumpers and doors. Pretty much all over the place.

So.... I did this (buying an "inventory" build) but I DID NOT CANCEL. The one that I ordered that was in "Inventory" has a delivery date rage (Sep 15-26) and a MVPA" while the one I ordered on July 18th still does not not have anything . My SA called and asked if I wanted to cancel and I said no. He was seemed to be very sure that my July 18th order would be delivered by the end of the month, but my online account says other wise.

He wasn't going to give me back my 100 so I have nothing to lose at this point.

So.... I did this (buying an "inventory" build) but I DID NOT CANCEL. The one that I ordered that was in "Inventory" has a delivery date rage (Sep 15-26) and a MVPA" while the one I ordered on July 18th still does not not have anything . My SA called and asked if I wanted to cancel and I said no. He was seemed to be very sure that my July 18th order would be delivered by the end of the month, but my online account says other wise.

I might do the same.. place another order since I am paying for the car in cash.. I am fine with losing $100 versus waiting for another 1-3 months.

BTW, if you see a vehicle which has "Less than 50 mile odometer" then it means the vehicle is physically at the location.

Last edited:
My order went from:

Expected Delivery of 1-3 weeks
Expected Delivery from September 1 - 15
Nothing...
Call Customer support and possible delivery End of October and even the First of November...

The funny thing is on the Website, if I build a New M3 it has expected Delivery of 1-3 weeks for my zip code.

That is so frustrating. When was your order date? Honestly, it hasn't been that long for me but I sold my car and I'm using rentals. I hope the car comes through soon.

Order date- 10/30
9/9- 2- 3 week text
Est. Delivery- 9/6-9/20
Current Status is now back to est delivery 2-4 weeks of order date.

My order went from:

Expected Delivery of 1-3 weeks
Expected Delivery from September 1 - 15
Nothing...
Call Customer support and possible delivery End of October and even the First of November...

The funny thing is on the Website, if I build a New M3 it has expected Delivery of 1-3 weeks for my zip code.

That’s pretty discouraging to say the least. But I don’t think it is surprising since Tesla can’t get their stuff together. I’ve thought about it just scrapping this entire thing and moving on. I keep saying “Well, I’ve waited this long, I guess I can wait a little longer.” It is just being out of the loop that is frustrating.

One single text since August 11th and that’s it. I’ve continuously had to reach out and see what is going on.

Did you re-apply for financing for the "In Inventory" purchase? Is the only true loss $100 deposit? What is your plan with the July 18th order?