Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

West Drayton/Heathrow Sept month end pickups

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pdk42

Jul 17, 2019
Leamington
Reading on here and Facebook, it appears that things are extremely busy, borderline chaotic, at the WD pickup location. I guess it's the end of quarter effect. I'm due to collect Mon and am sort of dreading it in a way. Has anyone pickup up from there in the last few days?, and if so what was the experience like?

I picked up from WD today at 1200. The group introduction started a few minutes late, and laster 20 minutes with some Q&A time. It then got a little chaotic with delivery advisors shouting peoples names who's cars were ready. I was on time and started looking over it at 1230, spent a further 25 minutes going over the car, a couple of small snags (door alignment and some wax residue which wouldn't shift) which were fixed there and took about 15 minutes.

Some people were delayed by larger snags and I did hear a couple of people being told it was ~30 minutes of delay but they had plenty of drinks and snacks to keep everyone happy.

I heard numbers of ~250 a day this week out of WD

I had friday 27th booked. Got a call from a mobile number today saying they're from Tesla deliveries. Logistical issues so car will be a day late. Can I pick up on Sat or monday instead? Needed to check availability before confirming so they asked me to text a time which I did but no confirmation and account still shows Friday.
Sound legit? Anyone else been bumped 24hrs?

• Love
Reactions: Sirricardo
290 on Friday I was told. 250 today. Be aware that they are no longer putting frunk mats in P and LRAWD as promised in spec! This has been withdrawn in last 2 days I was told. I asked and said it was in my agreement - but no! Make your own minds up about the reasoning behind omitting a front mat from a nearly £60,000 car!

• Informative
290 on Friday I was told. 250 today. Be aware that they are no longer putting frunk mats in P and LRAWD as promised in spec! This has been withdrawn in last 2 days I was told. I asked and said it was in my agreement - but no! Make your own minds up about the reasoning behind omitting a front mat from a nearly £60,000 car!

If anything is in your agreement or in the spec at the time of order Tesla are duty bound to honour, with the exception perhaps if they’ve made a mistake. I noticed we have nice black shiny plastic blanking plates where front fog lights normally live. It was in the spec when I ordered and was removed from the spec soon after. Tesla staff say SC should be able to retrofit front fog lights as it was in the spec at time of order.

• Informative
I had friday 27th booked. Got a call from a mobile number today saying they're from Tesla deliveries. Logistical issues so car will be a day late. Can I pick up on Sat or monday instead? Needed to check availability before confirming so they asked me to text a time which I did but no confirmation and account still shows Friday.
Yeah, they said mine was stuck in Southampton! Moved back to Friday.

That's terrible. Are they not going to provide it even though it was there when you ordered? Anyone else had this in the last day or so?

I looked round the European model they had in the showroom when they first arrived and apart from being LHD was expecting that same spec for the premium model I ordered shortly afterwards. Although the cost of a replacement frunk mat is not huge, it is the principle that matters. It also makes Tesla seem like a shady car salesman, selling you a car and then taking bits of it out before you collect it.

Reactions: GreenT
That's terrible. Are they not going to provide it even though it was there when you ordered? Anyone else had this in the last day or so?

I looked round the European model they had in the showroom when they first arrived and apart from being LHD was expecting that same spec for the premium model I ordered shortly afterwards. Although the cost of a replacement frunk mat is not huge, it is the principle that matters. It also makes Tesla seem like a shady car salesman, selling you a car and then taking bits of it out before you collect it.
To be frank I wasn’t impressed at all with the handover experience. Too crowded, not enough seating, the presentation was inaudible due to bad setup and background noise. The car was not ready on time and so its preparation was rushed and the backend was smeared with a film of polish or something. I had to log about 10 blemishes on the paintwork, scratches, paint blemishes and chipped paint - not terrible but easily noticeable. Got home and found a few marks inside, tape marks, sticky substance and scuffs on door pillar. All again minor but noticeable and should not have been there and been cleaned. All marks were recorded (so they say) and those at home (including mat) I have reported on the app and got an appointment sometime in late October. The car itself was much better than I was anticipating. 6 miles on the clock to begin with. Ride quality superb, comfort amazing. It had 162 miles of charge and I easily got home on that and was impressed with how much power I “hadn’t” consumed on the journey. Now charging at home and the smart charger has started at 2:30 and will be 94% charged by 7am which gives me enough battery power to calibrate TeslaFi. So to summarise didn’t much like the handover experience, do like the car and like the new driving experience. Still lots of stuff to learn, explore and set up including Wi-fi connection which seems a bit weak for some reason. Apart from missing mat (which just irritates me for its pettiness) - all ok (so far). :cool:

Last edited:
Nightmare. I’m picking up from west Drayton today, missed a load of communication from Tesla yesterday due to phone breaking. See tow bar thread. Planning on getting there early to see if I have a reg and a car, 250 a day seems so ludicrous mode..

Reactions: Roy W. and pmg102
I picked up my SR+ yesterday from West Drayton, scheduled pickup 4pm. Arrived early, around 2:30pm as I came by train, thought I'd have a look around to fill the time. Very excited, constantly peering around corners to try and spot my reg number.

Watched the presentation which, as commented earlier, was a little difficult to hear, think they need a better quality microphone for the speaker as it was muffled and hard to understand a fair bit of it. Luckily all he had to say was on the screen anyway so no major issues.

Walked around the room for a while to keep moving (and due to the fact there was nowhere near enough seating for the mass of people waiting to pick up!)

Was told at around 5pm that it would be no more than 30 minutes, guaranteed. Finally got the car at 7pm! By which time I'd logged almost 8000 steps so it wasn't all bad!

The car handover was done very professionally but I was disappointed to find my car was only charged to 20% so I had to charge up at the Service Centre before starting my 250 mile journey home.

Couldn't quite believe the speed of the Superchargers there, was ready to go before I had time to finish playing with the amazing touchscreen in the cabin.

The car is an absolute joy to drive, couldn't stop smiling all the way home (apart from the adrenalin rushes when the TACC slows down or accelerates aggressively when cars in front move out of the way or dive in front of you).

The staff at West Drayton couldn't have been more helpful and cheerful, just wish they'd given me an honest estimate as to when the car was going to be ready.

Yep... I have been pushed to Sat.
Ill miss meeting you there Fullerene.
Good luck.

it appears that things are extremely busy, borderline chaotic, at the WD pickup location. I guess it's the end of quarter effect. I'm due to collect Mon and am sort of dreading it in a way.

I picked up at the end of June. I had severe reservations given that the Model-3 was a brand new thing back then, systems not well tested and refined, and they were handing over 100 cars a day which was definitely never the case wit Model-S/X prices ... and similar end-of-Quarter Push.

Advice has always been to avoid end of quarter because of less PDI checks. Nowadays I'm not sure there are any significant PDI checks anyway (Tesla has put effort into getting the cars to showrooms without faults ... dunno how successful, and people do find paint faults etc. but they are "make a service appointment to fix" rather than "refuse delivery")

Given that was my expectation the actual experience was exemplary (not a word I would have expected to use for Tesla ever, given the Chaos of information, lack of contact, invoice 48 hours before collection requiring payment 7 days before, and so on and so on).

I'm sure there are exceptions, but in the main I'm not sure you need to worry unduly.

Make your own minds up about the reasoning behind omitting a front mat from a nearly £60,000 car!

Run out of parts perhaps? That happened with Type-2 cable a while back, either "none" or "stupidly short" provided for a while, that was resolved after-the-fact AFAIK

Reactions: Keeper