Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

West Drayton/Heathrow Sept month end pickups

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well 5-1/2 hours later, we finally got to drive off in someone else's car. They will get 'ours' on Monday. I got the impression that there was a car transporter breakdown the previous day and a few cars got affected. One poor chap had been there from the morning before and had been and gone a few times, so we were only marginally compromised compared to him. It didn't go down well when one member of staff said it would be all right once he got the car and he will forget the problems...

During this time, we were kept informed of what was going on by Steve who was great. Problem with charge port discovered which will require a ranger visit which added to the delays.

When we were finally allowed access to car, the handover was awful. Couldn't hear the char, he explained very little, didn't give us any opportunity to ask questions, and was clueless that before adjusting wing mirrors you probably wanted the seat in the correct position - but he decided that it was adjust wing mirrors then adjust seat :( We were ushered out pretty pronto, and forbidden to check the car over inside the delivery area. No idea why we were picked on, everyone else seemed to have a chance to check theirs over. I did have a chance to check a few things though whilst their back was turned.

No mats of any kind and short type 2 lead. We got the mats, but not front luggage, and stuck with type 2 lead - a 4 m lead will apparently be fine.

A few issues found when we could inspect closer. Lots of white flecks on car and a minor scratch that I will get ceramic coaters to sort. A hole in headliner which may be a pita to get sorted and some minor sticky marks on interior. The charge port definitely needs work. Some wind noise around doors, a small buzz (something vibrating rather than anything electrical) near passenger top seat belt mounting point. Some condensation in rear light cluster, charge port side so may be related. Car did seem a bit stuffy on drive home and when having a play when home. Its probably the humid weather and us not understanding ventilation system yet but hope there is not a leak somewhere. Paint missing in door and boot reveals was expected and not quite as bad as I was expecting.

Not sure how others front boot lids fit? The lid seems to sit a few mm (maybe 2-3mm) low along the side edges which may be contributing. May be contributing to some wind noise.

Did software update from 2019.16.x to 2019.32.2.2 - took a couple of attempts.

Tomorrow will be checking tow hook and sorting USB phone cable. I briefly looked but couldn't find how to access the 90 degree end.

Long day sitting around drinking coffee and eating biscuits. Glad to be home.

• Informative
Reactions: Keeper and Durzel
Well 5-1/2 hours later, we finally got to drive off in someone else's car. They will get 'ours' on Monday. I got the impression that there was a car transporter breakdown the previous day and a few cars got affected. One poor chap had been there from the morning before and had been and gone a few times, so we were only marginally compromised compared to him. It didn't go down well when one member of staff said it would be all right once he got the car and he will forget the problems...

During this time, we were kept informed of what was going on by Steve who was great. Problem with charge port discovered which will require a ranger visit which added to the delays.

When we were finally allowed access to car, the handover was awful. Couldn't hear the char, he explained very little, didn't give us any opportunity to ask questions, and was clueless that before adjusting wing mirrors you probably wanted the seat in the correct position - but he decided that it was adjust wing mirrors then adjust seat :( We were ushered out pretty pronto, and forbidden to check the car over inside the delivery area. No idea why we were picked on, everyone else seemed to have a chance to check theirs over. I did have a chance to check a few things though whilst their back was turned.

No mats of any kind and short type 2 lead. We got the mats, but not front luggage, and stuck with type 2 lead - a 4 m lead will apparently be fine.

A few issues found when we could inspect closer. Lots of white flecks on car and a minor scratch that I will get ceramic coaters to sort. A hole in headliner which may be a pita to get sorted and some minor sticky marks on interior. The charge port definitely needs work. Some wind noise around doors, a small buzz (something vibrating rather than anything electrical) near passenger top seat belt mounting point. Some condensation in rear light cluster, charge port side so may be related. Car did seem a bit stuffy on drive home and when having a play when home. Its probably the humid weather and us not understanding ventilation system yet but hope there is not a leak somewhere. Paint missing in door and boot reveals was expected and not quite as bad as I was expecting.

Not sure how others front boot lids fit? The lid seems to sit a few mm (maybe 2-3mm) low along the side edges which may be contributing. May be contributing to some wind noise.

Did software update from 2019.16.x to 2019.32.2.2 - took a couple of attempts.

Tomorrow will be checking tow hook and sorting USB phone cable. I briefly looked but couldn't find how to access the 90 degree end.

Long day sitting around drinking coffee and eating biscuits. Glad to be home.

Oh dear, that sounds less than the best start to your Model 3 ownership.

Reactions: Rooster6655
Handover today was nice but really rushed, pair, open boot, set driving position and get out. Asked us to go outside to finish checks of paint etc (after 5 mins). However spoke to them after and they let us drive back in to the back of the delivery area and the valet guys were super helpful and fixed most issues and raised service request for others. No frunk mat but being sorted. otherwise the car is amazing.

Had to wait for the supercharger but so ridiculously fast after getting used to charging on a leaf. Really impressed.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Collected today. Had 10.30 appt. Arrived 10.15 they asked for DL as ID at front desk... Sorted finance docs. The chap told me only 200 handovers today, 270 yesterday. Finished that and immediately went to 10.30 briefing - no time for coffee or biscuit. The second the briefing finished my name was called. Still no time for a biscuit!

Got taken with a group of half a dozen or so to the cars. Told we had 15 mins and should go and pair phone and set driver profile.

Got asked to sign the tablet at this point. I said I wanted to check car first but was assured this was not the final sign-off... (FYI there was nothing else to sign after that!).

In carrying out the setup, noticed a poor seal to the headliner with the roof glass on the driver side forward of the B Pillar. Blobs of uneven black sealant. Other side was immaculate in comparison. No froot/frunk mat. They told me it doesnt come with any more and they don't have any.

Then started inspecting the paintwork (I was conditioned to expect something to be wrong. Got half way round the vehicle having found one small stone chip and two derailers turned up with a trolley and offered to try and fix. Found 2 more while they were there but then got told to leave and continue checks outside, which the same detailers did and kept at it with their dremel with sponge pads and some sort of t-cut. Repaired 2/3.

Another chap came to log the defects and was told to book service appointment. As I was just about to leave we saw a box of frunk mats sitting there so took one and notified the chap signing off the defects I was doing so (didn't wait for response).

Had 189 miles of charge. Circa 20 miles on clock (by subtracting mileage home from what it says now)

Gave autopilot a bash on the M25. Worked well. Also tried it in stop-start traffic on an A road. Was fantastic. Lovely to drive. Put my foot down a couple of times but didn't get the full experience of feeling my stomach move that others describe (mines a P) - maybe as I had chill mode on???

Stopped for a super charge at south mimms which was busy. 3 stalls empty, 2 of which not working. Made a few rookie errors but was surprised by the helpfulness of other tesla owners around. 20 mins later off home.

Did the software update via my phone (no idea how as thought I'd need to connect car to wifi first). Booked service appt for 1st Nov.

Charger goes in tomorrow. Was expecting a 4m type 2 after asking the delivery team how long it was beforehand. The one I got was described as the "short one" they are now giving. Will measure it tomorrow but might have to fork out for a 4m one if its shorter than that!

Other than the cosmetic stuff (particularly interia defect) and a nagging feeling that I ended up with someones rejected car, I'm generally happy, but could have done with a bit more time on handover - but hey its end of Q3 I guess....

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel and GT_M3
Had a great day. Got there an hour or so early after train was quicker that expected. Watched a full briefing, then had time for another 2 :)

Nice coffee, freshly cooked cookies were gorgeous :)

Tesla Api norfolkmustard/tesla--owner-api started registering some data even before the car was "in service", so knew it was almost ready for handover. Got called in with two others only about 45 mins after expected 4pm handover.

Plugged USB teslacam in, paired phone, created profile. shuffled chair and mirrors - done. Quick walk round - no type-2 cable, instantly addressed (4m though, not fussed). No frunk mat - confirmed eligibility, raise a service call for it.

Took a leisurely trip to the new Reading supercharger - pissing with rain by then. Back to south-mimms and then home. just got back.

Can I do it again tomorrow ? :)

Got asked to sign the tablet at this point. I said I wanted to check car first but was assured this was not the final sign-off... (FYI there was nothing else to sign after that!).

I assume it must have been the same guy as me, as this happened to me, rather deceitful and pissed me off but I made sure it was mentioned in the feedback along with other things.

• Informative
Picked up car Friday morning. 9am appointment, arrived 15 mins early. Checked in trade in car (hand over V5 & 2 sets of keys, then man went to car to record mileage), sat in collection area waiting for video and presentation, so far so good. Realised that car was showing up on tesla app, only 40% charge and not currently charging, but enough to get me where I needed to go.

Video started late at about 9:15, fairly straight forward stuff but gave an opportunity to ask questions. Then called out by name to go to car.

Chap showed me to car, paired phone as key, told me to put my rucksack in the frunk and how to close it. Showed me cables in boot, closed it. Told me to sit in car and set up profile, just adjusting seat and mirrors, and then he said 'ok, you're good to go'. When I said I'd like to have a look round the car he said that they had other cars arriving and needed the space. I still started to look round...
... no frunk mat, he said it didn't come with one but after I pointed out that it did when I ordered he reluctantly got one.
... spotted a cluster of paint bubbles on the bonnet, he said it was 'within delivery tolerance' but after I asked if that meant I'd have to pay for it to be fixed he reluctantly took a picture and said I could raise a ticket later and they might consider fixing it.
... asked about the key thing to remove the center alloy wheel cover, that was missing from the glovebox, and he just pulled a cap off with his hand and said it was't necessary.

He said that I could log anything else in the next 100 miles, then basically he rocked from foot to foot, as if he needed the toilet, with the tablet held out to sign. I gave up at this point, signed and left.

When I got to look round it later most of the driver protection \ assistance features were turned off. Locking the car via Bluetooth was off, home and work destinations were not set of course, no demo of using any of the media options, I managed to mute Kiss radio on the drive home... I basically had to go through screen by screen, working out what each option meant, me and my tesla manual on the tablet. I'm sure an experienced sales person could have gone through these options with me in less than 10 mins 1-2-1.

Looking round the car further today, making the most of it being dry, we spotted lose rubber trims, split rubber seals, a small chip in the hood, and an oily-like patch on the rear seat. I've tried to log these in the app, earliest date = November, but I'm really not convinced that anything will be done about them.

In all honesty the collection process started well but went downhill as soon as you were taken to your car. My friends think its crazy to have spent so much and yet not really be allowed to check over your purchase. When the wife spotted the mark on the back seat she asked what they said and I had to admit that I didn't even open the rear doors let alone sit in them and look around, so hadn't reported it. Forget having any big check lists. Forget the opportunity to take plenty of photographs of the big handover moment. Ideally at least 2 people should go to the pick up to help look over the car and record the event. Anyway Q3 is coming to a close and hopefully the handovers will calm down now. Rant over, feeling better now. :)

On the positive side, the car drives really nicely. It's quick but not uncontrollably so, no reason to be on chill mode. The ride on the 19's is nice and supple. It takes a short while to get use to the powerful regen and single pedal driving but once you do it's great.

I still feel weird about walking away from the car when it's switched on, radio playing to itself. I'm sure I'm missing something here but if I power it off on the screen it comes back on when I open the door to get out. It just feels odd.

Very disappointed to read these stories. Pretty consistent in terms of how you’re being asked to sign for it without being given the opportunity to check everything at your leisure. That’s not on at all.

I don’t care how many cars they’re doing a day or how busy they are, frankly. I don’t need someone to stand around with me but If I’m handing over nearly £60k for a car and I have to report defects within 100 miles, when I live further than that to either of the closest delivery depots, you can be damn sure that I’m not leaving until I’ve checked the car over.

I’d even go as far as to say that I would probably consider not accepting the car at all if I can’t do that. If it’s pissing it down outside or overcast I’m not going to be able to inspect things properly.

Definitely going to come down with a friend so we can both do the inspection and hopefully between us we’ll spot all the defects fairly quickly.

Reactions: Rooster6655
Oh dear. I think I'm going mad. I must have picked up a dozen new cars in my life and on all those occasions it was an experience that I looked forward to with happy excitement. This time though my emotion is stress, fear, doubt and apprehension. And it's the most I've every paid for a car. How can Tesla get it so wrong?

I still feel weird about walking away from the car when it's switched on, radio playing to itself

Is your fridge light turning off when you close the door? :D

Very disappointed to read these stories

Me too. Huge end-of-quarter push (probably in factory, when they were made, let alone at handover), IMO all driven by Wall Street trying to get the company to fail and a huge pity Musk didn't manage to take it private all those months ago ...

Gotta be easier/cheaper (and better PR of course) to fix the issues before handover, rather than clog up Service later.