Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

West Drayton Supercharger/M3 deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
West Drayton Supercharger currently switched off as site will be handling large number of M3 deliveries and Tesla wish to discourage unnecessary traffic to the site. Not sure how long this will continue.

how are they expecting handover of vehicles if they are not charged fully ? no one is going to want to take additional route home to charge at another supercharger first :rolleyes:

West Drayton Supercharger currently switched off as site will be handling large number of M3 deliveries and Tesla wish to discourage unnecessary traffic to the site. Not sure how long this will continue.
Just out of curiosity, does this mean that the Superchargers at West Drayton have now been retrofittted with CCS connectors?
The spreadsheet here:
Tracker CCS on Superchargers
reckons that they're not compatible with the Model 3, which I find hard to believe, given the volume of deliveries they're trying to get through.

Just out of curiosity, does this mean that the Superchargers at West Drayton have now been retrofittted with CCS connectors?
The spreadsheet here:
Tracker CCS on Superchargers
reckons that they're not compatible with the Model 3, which I find hard to believe, given the volume of deliveries they're trying to get through.
I picked up my M3 today from West Drayton, the superchargers are working but there was a queue. The SC that I used had CCS charger, I'm guessing they all do now.
Interestingly it was charging at about 100m/hour does that sound right?

Ben

Reactions: -DB- and Fullerene

That's happened to a number of US stores/Delivery Centers. They get pulled from the public map forever. There are generally other charging options nearby when this is done.

@zayn, that's exactly why they are doing it. The Superchargers are being used to charge the new cars, they don't have the capacity to also charge other cars.

My delivery center was a pretty common charging site, both for locals and travelers. It also has a really small lot, getting to the Superchargers was always painful. For a little bit, as the 3's were arriving, Existing customer and new customers were fighting over access. They eventually took it off the public map so that they could deliver fully charged cars.

no one is going to want to take additional route home to charge at another supercharger first

Far better off charging somewhere else. When Heathrow is rammed with handovers there will be many people leaving with half-charged cars and the car park there is very tight, so likely you will have to pair-to-charge which is at a much reduced rate.

Only reason I would charge at Heathrow, after collection, is if there wasn't another Supercharger on my route home. Car charges fastest 0% to 70%-ish, so charging from lowest SoC, and not above 80%, gives the shortest "dwell time"

Interestingly it was charging at about 100m/hour does that sound right?

I expect you were "paired", so much reduced charge rate (until the other car left)

took 20 mins to fully charge on the SC

"fully charge"? charging above 80% the rate is greatly reduced, and between 90% and 100% might well take an hour on a Supercharger (might as well use a 13 AMP plug for that bit :) ) ... so (generally speaking) better to move once you get to 80%, provided you have enough juice to reach another Supercharger at, say, 150 miles distance ... or your destination of course.

Do you get charged for the initial SC miles

If you used a referral code the first 1,000 miles are free (must be used within 6 months), otherwise charged.

baring in mind Tesla haven't charged it up for you?

A while since I bought an ICE, but they never gave me a full tank of petrol, and frequently only 6 months road tax ...

My M3 was off the transporter, washed, and handed over within 30 minutes ... no time to charge as well, so it was charged at port on arrive in EU and that's it, might well have been a week? getting to handover after that. Can't remember exactly but well over 100 miles range, which was plenty to get to M25/A1 South Mimms Supercharger.

Far better off charging somewhere else. When Heathrow is rammed with handovers there will be many people leaving with half-charged cars and the car park there is very tight, so likely you will have to pair-to-charge which is at a much reduced rate.

Only reason I would charge at Heathrow, after collection, is if there wasn't another Supercharger on my route home. Car charges fastest 0% to 70%-ish, so charging from lowest SoC, and not above 80%, gives the shortest "dwell time"

I expect you were "paired", so much reduced charge rate (until the other car left)

"fully charge"? charging above 80% the rate is greatly reduced, and between 90% and 100% might well take an hour on a Supercharger (might as well use a 13 AMP plug for that bit :) ) ... so (generally speaking) better to move once you get to 80%, provided you have enough juice to reach another Supercharger at, say, 150 miles distance ... or your destination of course.

If you used a referral code the first 1,000 miles are free (must be used within 6 months), otherwise charged.

A while since I bought an ICE, but they never gave me a full tank of petrol, and frequently only 6 months road tax ...

My M3 was off the transporter, washed, and handed over within 30 minutes ... no time to charge as well, so it was charged at port on arrive in EU and that's it, might well have been a week? getting to handover after that. Can't remember exactly but well over 100 miles range, which was plenty to get to M25/A1 South Mimms Supercharger.
A few people have said they didn't get charged for the initial charging, but seems to be mixed comments. The last time I have bought an ICE they gave 12 months tax and a full take a of petrol, guess it depends on your dealer.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Tesla Chaos might account for that! But, I agree with you - Tesla big handovers are compromised for also trying to 100% charge vehicles. Simple answer would be to give everyone a free 100 mile Supercharge or something like that.
I guess the issue is that some people might have far travel and would be nervous with only 20-30% range (or whatever they come shipped with) to get to the next supercharger. I have to say though that the range estimator is pretty damned good and risked a 72mi round trip with only 99mi. Got back home with 25mi to spare with a full loaded car and AC all the way.

whatever they come shipped with

Can't exactly remember on mine, but i think t was 150 miles, and pretty sure I would have noticed if it was 100 miles or less. Perhaps other folk who were more observant than me can comment?

I have to say though that the range estimator is pretty damned good and risked a 72mi round trip with only 99mi.

In case useful to anyone not familiar with it:

Worth putting destination in Satnav (i.e. even if route is well known) and then displaying the Energy Graph and changing to the TRIP tab. That shows a graph of predicted %age charge against journey-miles, and then an "actual" line, so easy to see if you are under / over and what the revised prediction of Arrival SoC is, and can speed up / slow down ... or Charge :) accordingly.

This image is really dated, but gives the general idea

IMG_4081.jpg

also worth doing that (put next waypoint/destination into Satnav) when charging and then you can set off when you have, say, 10-15% "spare" on arrival. Image shows "too early to leave yet" :)

IMG_4072.jpg

I was at West Drayton on the 6th and again yesterday and on both occasions after work had been done on the car I picked it up from the Supercharger. They are very busy with type 3 pick-ups and if I did not have to be there the one the other side of the M25 has more spaces IIRC.